Have you got "the" sound, and are stepping off major upgrading?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
GIK 242's aren't all that absorptive, but most (all?) listeners find that if you are going to treat first reflection points it should be diffusion, not absorption, or perhaps a mixture.

Diffusion would the exception, not the norm.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
IMHO No card carrying audiophile is ever content, there is always wiggle room for that extra few % you know is there..and you swear its your last upgrade for ever!!!

This is the correct answer. And for me personally, the mere thought of upgrading has two distinct merits. Firstly, like anything else, dreaming is a lot of fun and produces a feeling of anticipation and contentment whilst keeping the ageing mind active mulling over all the possible combinations with their strengths and failings. It's also why reading the various audio magazines is fun (same goes for whatever the interest, be it cars or whatever). But just as importantly - perhaps even more importantly, if I am listening to my current system and for whatever reason am disappointed, my mind can play the "it'll be much better when you upgrade" card. This has an amazingly cathartic effect and is most welcome given that for all intents and purposes, we audiophiles - as much as we refuse to admit it - are all suffering at least some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder and probably multiple ones in some cases!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Depends on your room size, I couldn't imagine putting diffusion in a shoebox-like sized room at 1st reflection points..

Actually, my understanding is that is the situation where you'd want it. Diffusion will make the side walls seem to disappear and create a wider soundstage, which can be desirable if the room is narrow.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Diffusion will make the side walls seem to disappear and create a wider soundstage, which can be desirable if the room is narrow.

Now y'all have me confused. Which has the acoustic effect of making the side walls "disappear"? Absorption or diffusion?

I always thought, at least for dipole speakers, that the answer is absorption.

(And I am hoping the answer is well-settled and is not controversial.)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The current thinking is that strong lateral reflections can increase the sensation of spaciousness, and that a good loudspeaker will have a flat on axis response and smooth and even off axis response which mimics the on axis.
Not dipoles!
Keith

MBL is the speaker to buy then

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Now y'all have me confused. Which has the acoustic effect of making the side walls "disappear"? Absorption or diffusion?

I always thought, at least for dipole speakers, that the answer is absorption.

(And I am hoping the answer is well-settled and is not controversial.)

Not much chance of not controversial on these pages LOL!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Dipoles radiate in a dipolar pattern (LOL) and thus first side reflections are much less important in their rooms

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The current thinking is that strong lateral reflections can increase the sensation of spaciousness, and that a good loudspeaker will have a flat on axis response and smooth and even off axis response which mimics the on axis.
Not dipoles!
Keith

You do realize with dipoles you already have a sense of spaciousness, not required to create it more artificially

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dipoles produce as much energy backwards as they do forwards, with almost no off axis response, they measure extremely poorly.
Perhaps it is the reflected rear energy that your are hearing?
Keith.

Yes but you said reflected energy from the side walls is alright, or is that only as long as speakers are not dipolars? You can't first say one thing and than another, that makes you bipolar.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Dipoles produce as much energy backwards as they do forwards, with almost no off axis response, they measure extremely poorly.
Perhaps it is the reflected rear energy that your are hearing?
Keith.

and another thread goes down the tubes due to the measurement posse.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
and another thread goes down the tubes due to the measurement posse.
No, it went down the tubes when it was suggested that once you are basically satisfied with your system and are only looking to tweak it, you are not an audiophile. That moniker apparently is reserved for only those who continue to spend money on the next best piece of gear. What a croc!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No, it went down the tubes when it was suggested that once you are basically satisfied with your system and are only looking to tweak it, you are not an audiophile. That moniker apparently is reserved for only those who continue to spend money on the next best piece of gear. What a croc!

+ 1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
this totally depends on the room. Rives had me use absorption at first reflections and they were definitely diffusion fans.

Yes. Most absorbers are partial reflectors, particularly at low incidence angles. Another problem is that their behavior depends strongly on frequency. And most diffusors have considerable absorption.

About these matters I really appreciate Keith Yates article in Stereophile - "A matter of diffusion" http://keithyates.com/a-matter-of-diffusion/.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

No. There is a musicophile, audiophile, etc. How do you differentiate the people on this forum from someone who is simply satisfied with ipod and earphones and knows more about music than many on this forum? What differentiates the people on this forum is that they are into gear. That is the only differentiating factor. There are a lot of people into music and satisfied with their home Bose system or less, who are not on such forums, so that is not a differentiating factor.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
No. There is a musicophile, audiophile, etc. How do you differentiate the people on this forum from someone who is simply satisfied with ipod and earphones and knows more about music than many on this forum? What differentiates the people on this forum is that they are into gear. That is the only differentiating factor. There are a lot of people into music and satisfied with their home Bose system or less, who are not on such forums, so that is not a differentiating factor.

You keep on making this false contrast that doesn't exist. What if people are neither satisfied with ipod and earphones nor a Bose system, but are simply satisfied with their more or less advanced audiophile systems, and not immediately into new gear?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

We're not talking about people who listen to music on the go or plop their phone into a HT receiver and go goo-goo-ga-ga over the sound of their MP3/AAC files. We're talking about individuals who have invested some serious money on good audio gear. Look at my signature if you will. It doesn't represent the best of the best, but it's still a sizable investment and consists of pieces that must surely be considered somewhat audiophile grade. Just because I choose to be satisfied and prefer to spend my money on what I hope are quality tweaks, it doesn't make me less of an audiophile.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You keep on making this false contrast that doesn't exist. What if people are neither satisfied with ipod and earphones nor a Bose system, but are simply satisfied with their more or less advanced audiophile systems, and not immediately into new gear?

Nothing wrong with that. But why do you want to call them audiophiles? Aren't they different from the people who are into gear?

I think the difference we are having is, I keep saying there are some people who keep wanting to eat and experiment with different food. I call them foodies. Some want to stick to a staple regular diet. Not that one is wrong and the other is right. But both lifestyles are different. That is all that I am saying. And I am using a terminology to distinguish them (foodie, audiophile), which you and JV seem to be objecting to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing