Having a "You are there " compared to "They are here " system

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
How do they do housemusic , deep purple/ child in time, jean michael jarre .
AC/DC .
How do they handle the gunfire exchange in the movie Heat .
Pulp fiction , harry potter, lord of the rings.
Ever tried that on those systems.
What you are talking about is those hornsystems where basically the whole living room is part of the bass horn.
Does it do the swell of an orchrestra well or a contrabass or a cello , probably yes .
But it takes time for the air in those big horns to change direction all the time.
So i assume acoustical instruments fine , other sounds not so good.
My speakers are designed to do the gunshots in Heat ( faithfully )and a F1 car sound .
A accurate 20 - 20 khz electrical / acoustical reproducer (sound machine) at least that is the goal.
Will the horns be better with certain musical genres ?
Welll i sure hope so / expect so for the price.
But the ones i have heard to this date and some where up to 100 k were never convincing.

And how neutral are they, did any body take a Fr measurement ?
Please show some data as well , i know it doesnt tell the whole story but non the less

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
AC/DC .
What you are talking about is those hornsystems where basically the whole living room is part of the bass horn.
Does it do the swell of an orchrestra well or a contrabass or a cello , probably yes .
But it takes time for the air in those big horns to change direction all the time.
My speakers are designed to do the gunshots in Heat faithfully as well as a F1 car sound .
A 20 - 20 khz faithfull reproducer /sound machine at least that is the goal.

I am not talking about horn systems where living room is part of it.

I just said on another thread you were on that it is the best rock with Mike's, and posted a black Sabbath video on under 5 watts. I posted Beethoven 9th videos on full tilt using a 7w 300b amp.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
AC/DC .
My speakers are designed to do the gunshots in Heat ( faithfully )and a F1 car sound .
A accurate 20 - 20 khz acoustic- electrical reproducer sound /machine at least that is the goal.
Will the horns be better with certain musical genres ?
Welll i sure hope so / expect so for the price.
But the ones i have heard to this date and some where up to 100 k were never convincing.

And how neutral are they, did any body take a Fr measurement ?
Please show some data as well , i know it doesnt tell the whole story but non the less
Damn. You just nailed all the things my speakers suck at.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am not talking about horn systems where living room is part of it.

I just said on another thread you were on that it is the best rock with Mike's, and posted a black Sabbath video on under 5 watts. I posted Beethoven 9th videos on full tilt using a 7w 300b amp.

So you agree with me ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So you agree with me ?

I agree that there are horn systems that don't do the full extreme. I disagree because there are horn systems that do the full extremes better than anything. You just haven't heard the latter set.

Reactions: gian60

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Damn. You just nailed all the things my speakers suck at.
Ah tang you have enough money , you can slide in speakers that willl sound good with these music types and dress them up as diffusers while your listening to classical on your horns

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just go to my last posts you will see easily

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hugh masekela - stimela (Hope) that is .
I have it on tape now ,from acoustic sounds, great music imo .
I heard it yesterday over Harbeth speakers and a whole vintage pioneer class A system., Nagra T audio tape deck .
Plus i heard maria callas on tape ,plus some other rare tapes .
Whenever i will go to an audio show to demonstrate my speakers , i have the software, now

Brg hj

I have that record. When I saw your mention, one word comes to my mind: Cowbell. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have that record. When I saw your mention, one word comes to my mind: Cowbell. ;)
I like the swell in this song as well plus he portrays a story .
Reminds me of john lee hooker a bit .
Gonna order a whole series of the tape project as well , they have also john lee hooker on tape

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Now you are going to upset Mike comparing that video on par with his system. :eek:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Now you are going to upset Mike comparing that video on par with his system. :eek:

I have heard both, I think they are almost equal.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
To come back to the topic .
Regardless of the systems ampifiers -transducers and their ability /transparency .
Much of the you are there is either in the recording or not .
Myles b astor has a tape s best list and Bill evans /Waltz for debby is supposed to be great in that regard .
In transporting you to the venue

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
For me only one thing matters .
If you are somehow moved by what the musicians try to convey with their music .
That is, ultimately, the goal of listening to music but, in the context of this discussion, I think it is simplistic and tangential. How about chemical adjuvants?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well coming from the netherlands you know everything is for sale here , lol.
A lot of Audiophiles / the audiophile industry make things way to complicated .
Some get completely lost in cables ,tweaks ,power products whatever
I think some in the music industry .actually as well
My best recordings are done by a amateur recording guy with 2 mikes.
If conveing the musical message is a simple goal i rather be simple .
KISS always works, keep it simple stupid

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But i assume you mean that in the context of multichannel recrdings ?
Why is nt it that more popular then?
What i do think sometimes is that a 3 d channel would be nice .
Speakers more apart ( wider ) and 1 extra speaker in the middle.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But i assume you mean that in the context of multichannel recrdings ?
Why is nt it that more popular then?
What i do think sometimes is that a 3 d channel would be nice .
Speakers more apart wider and 1 extra speaker in the middle.

MCH is great and better than most stereo systems, it is just that SETs horns, analog, and some stereo and mono performances are not available in MCH (afaik). But it does sound great on classical

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yea thats may be your expirience but the linn and meridian mch systems i ve heard with mch recordings were far from convincing

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No that is with 14.4 B&W datasat auro 3d systems. Also a processor less 5 channel vivid G1

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
You totally understand what I was trying to describe.

Thanks for your reply Tango. The term one of my colleagues uses is "density", but my marketing department hasn't figured out how to make any money off of that yet. "If you are dense, then you'll love our speakers." Hmmm.

But I think it is the pattern of sound radiation from cones and reflected sound from back wall side wall generated by these speakers that creat this giant crystal ball effect.

That is what I think as well. I think that good horn speakers when well set-up have minimal detrimental early reflections (in particular off the side walls) because of their more narrow and uniform radiation patterns, and then the reverberant sound which does exist is spectrally very similar to the direct sound so it supports, rather than detracts from, it.

Ime the more recent big 45-degree-pattern SoundLab electrostats can do something similar, just not with the impact of a good horn speaker. On the other hand, there are things a fullrange electrostat does well, too.

He was also the one who introduced and sold me the Cessaro.

Not being familiar with Cessaro's line I looked up the Gamma 2 yesterday. Verrrry nice!! I heard a smaller Cessaro once, and it was magnificent.

On another subject...

The first time I heard the bang bang train song was at CES 2002. Someone had burned a copy of a compilation CD with that song on it and played it in our room, early on the first day of the show. Finally, a song with more cowbell! Anyway I bought the burned CD off of him on the spot for twenty bucks (as I recall) because I wanted to be able to demo with that song, which he thought was hilarious because because his cost had been the cost of the CDR disc. Best twenty bucks I ever spent.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing