Heat generated by Pass Labs amps.

neac1976

Jun 23, 2018
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions and would like opinions on the heat generated by some Pass Amplifiers.
I have a dedicated music room measuring 20x26x9 feet.
It is heated by radiant heating and is equipped with a mini split air conditioning unit.
I own a Pass X 350.5 and love all of its characteristics except for one and that is the heat that it generates after a couple of hours of operation. The area around my equipment gets warm and after enough time, usually a couple of hours or so, the room itself starts to get warmer. After about two hours or so, I cannot really keep my hand on the amp chassis for more than 15 seconds or so.
I would like to purchase a pair of Pass Labs X 260.8 mono's in place of my X 350.5 and would like to know how the heat produced by the pair of mono's compares with the heat that is produced by my stereo amp.
I do not want to give up on The Pass sound and am looking for an alternative within the Pass stable.
Thank you all.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
as a owner of a pair of X 260.8's I can tell you they do get warm(gotta remember the amount if initial bias into Class A) but NEVER get so warm as to not be able to put my hands on the heat sinks. I will say that after an extended listening session of 3 hrs or more my room (14'6" x 24'6" x 8') will heat up 2-4 degrees.

FWIW the initial Class A bias of the X260.8 is greater than that of your 350.

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions and would like opinions on the heat generated by some Pass Amplifiers.
It is heated by radiant heating and is equipped with a mini split air conditioning unit.
I own a Pass X 350.5 and love all of its characteristics except for one and that is the heat that it generates after a couple of hours of operation. The area around my equipment gets warm and after enough time, usually a couple of hours or so, the room itself starts to get warmer. After about two hours or so, I cannot really keep my hand on the amp chassis for more than 15 seconds or so.
I would like to purchase a pair of Pass Labs X 260.8 mono's in place of my X 350.5 and would like to know how the heat produced by the pair of mono's compares with the heat that is produced by my stereo amp.
I do not want to give up on The Pass sound and am looking for an alternative within the Pass stable.
Thank you all.
From Pass lab site:
Pass X 350.5 Power Consumption (Watts)600
Pass Labs X 260.8 Power Consumption @ Idle (Watts)370

What is unclear for the X260.8, the consomption is for each block or for both ?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thank you all.

I owned the 260.8s for app 2 years. They sound very good and they get warm not hot. I live in Florida. So, IMO they will be more to your liking than the 350.8… Plus they are monos and put out more class A than the 350.8.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
From Pass lab site:
Pass X 350.5 Power Consumption (Watts)600
Pass Labs X 260.8 Power Consumption @ Idle (Watts)370

What is unclear for the X260.8, the consomption is for each block or for both ?
That’s per monoblock. I also use a pair of these. My experience matches twitch’s.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I just measured both of my Pass XA60.8 Mono's using one of those fancy ExTech Laser Thermo's and they have been On and in use for the past 3hrs or so. Both are sitting at 111F. This measurement was taken at the top plate near the edge where the Fins are. This was the hottest location as I scanned around the Amp with the Laser. Everywhere else on the Amp ranged in temp from 90-105F

I've measured these amps many times in the past after and during aggressive listening sessions and don't recall ever seeming them go above 115F each. This is any time of season FWIW.

Also, I don't ever notice any difference in room temp (17x25x10+)

neac1976

Jun 23, 2018
I want to thank everyone for their replies as I have all of the information that I need thanks to you guys. It is always a pleasure reading this forum and dealing with everyone involved with it.
Mark

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I had 260.8 previously, my hands can stay on the chassis for a while. I installed an aircon for my room for passlabs though:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing