Help with DAC Selection

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
So, I’ve decided to upgrade my rudimentary computer source set-up and am after DAC advice. The set-up involves a valve pre-amp into a 3-way valve cross-over with bass / mid / high channels of active speakers driven by solid state amplifiers. My digital source is a Windows / J. River computer with a Lynx L22 card.

The goal of the upgrade is first, and foremost, to go the next step on sound with the objective being a neutral, detailed, presentation. I’m not that interested in a warm tube-sound. A second reason for the upgrade is that I’m running out of pre-amp input so a DAC that acts as a switch between different digital sources is a benefits. Specific requirements

• Multiple digital inputs – USB or Firewire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF

• Balanced and RCA outputs that both output at the same time

• Great performance on PCM 44, 48, 88, 96, 176, 192 – DSD a bonus

• Rack space is an issue so low-profile / single box is a bonus

• No mandatory but of benefit would be remote for inputs / volume

My hope is to keep the unit to about $2.5k but I could stretch to $5k for something compelling that I’d enjoy for many years. It’s hard to distinguish the various options from reviews – with descriptions either being rather extreme or somewhat obscure / subtle – but I guess the candidates that I’ve identified include:

• Category A: Mytek Stereo192-DSD, Exasound e20 and Benchmark DAC1 HDR

• Category B: Berkeley Audio Design, PD Mpd-3, Invicta and Calyx Femto

The second category seems like a lot in the fast moving world of DAC and it’d be interesting to get peoples take on if / what the benefits are in going from the $2.5k to $5k category. Any and all advice is welcomed. [Edit: One consideration, for me, is that that with analogue sources I need the DAC to be able to work well into a pre-amp rather than direct into power amplifiers.]

Zydeco

Last edited:
I am more or less in the same dilema Zydeco, but currently looking to play my ripped WAV files from the Mach2 Server (not into DSD yet), and leaning towards the Mytek as well.

Problem is that my current modified NOS Havana Pro DAC sound sooooooo good that....i am not in such a hurry!

I feel the best 2 on your list are the Mytek and the PD MPD-3. You can't go wrong with either.
The Mytek fits your space requirement. The PD may be a little out of your price range, but if you can swing it, it has a separate USB input for future updates!

Hi Zydeco,

I sympathize with your dilemma. I was in the same position last Spring when I was looking for a front end to my recent system upgrade. If you prefer a solid state component, I found the Bel Canto products to sound more musical than several others which I auditioned, including one which you list above. The timing was superior giving the sound a better flow and, while widely dynamic, the Bel Canto product did not produce harsh sounds but imparted a more natural smoothness. I listened to the 3.5 but I have had recent experience with the 1.5 which shares the same basic characteristics. I have no experience with the products which you list except for the Alpha DAC.

I ultimately chose an Audio Note tube-based DAC for my solid-state amps but this gear is not at all "warm" in an unnatural sense. The Audio Note products (DAC + CD transport) added excellent instrumental timbre, had an even better flow, and also had a more room-filling presentation than any of the solid-state pieces. The Bel Canto 3.5 was first runner up for the sound which appealed to me the most. So, at the very least, check out the Bel Canto DACs and consider Audio Note as well.

Good luck,

MEM

I am big fan of buying the right external DAC and be done with it. I still own my Mark Levinson DAC I bought over 10 years ago! I think it was $7,000 so lots of money but to me, you want to get transparency in that source and then just worry about downstream products from there on. BTW, I don't believe in coloring the sound at that stage if that is the interest. You can always put downstream tubes and such to do that.

Unfortunately comparison shopping for DACs is very difficult since few people have heard multiple units of interest. Lacking that I would look to build quality, capabilities of the company to have proper test measurements, etc. Sadly, building DACs is very easy these days and everyone in their garage is building one. While the core DAC chip today has exceptional performance, that performance can be degraded substantially by putting it too close to noise producing parts or improper circuit design. So I personally cringe over tiny DACs :). There is no reason for them to be that small.

I am familiar with only one brand you list there and that is what my company sells so I can't comment beyond these generalities :). Our moderator Lee, has the Calyx and I think he is very happy with it.

So, I’ve decided to upgrade my rudimentary computer source set-up and am after DAC advice. The set-up involves a valve pre-amp into a 3-way valve cross-over with bass / mid / high channels of active speakers driven by solid state amplifiers. My digital source is a Windows / J. River computer with a Lynx L22 card.

The goal of the upgrade is first, and foremost, to go the next step on sound with the objective being a neutral, detailed, presentation. I’m not that interested in a warm tube-sound. A second reason for the upgrade is that I’m running out of pre-amp input so a DAC that acts as a switch between different digital sources is a benefits. Specific requirements

• Multiple digital inputs – USB or Firewire, AES/EBU, S/PDIF

• Balanced and RCA outputs that both output at the same time

• Great performance on PCM 44, 48, 88, 96, 176, 192 – DSD a bonus

• Rack space is an issue so low-profile / single box is a bonus

• No mandatory but of benefit would be remote for inputs / volume

My hope is to keep the unit to about $2.5k but I could stretch to $5k for something compelling that I’d enjoy for many years. It’s hard to distinguish the various options from reviews – with descriptions either being rather extreme or somewhat obscure / subtle – but I guess the candidates that I’ve identified include:

• Category A: Mytek Stereo192-DSD, Exasound e20 and Benchmark DAC1 HDR

• Category B: Berkeley Audio Design, PD Mpd-3, Invicta and Calyx Femto

The second category seems like a lot in the fast moving world of DAC and it’d be interesting to get peoples take on if / what the benefits are in going from the $2.5k to $5k category. Any and all advice is welcomed. [Edit: One consideration, for me, is that that with analogue sources I need the DAC to be able to work well into a pre-amp rather than direct into power amplifiers.]

Zydeco

Any results or decisions made?

I'm having more or less the same dilemma...

Would be great to have as much inputs as possible.

And why on earth don't pro and audiophile magazines ever review these new small contenders? Mytek, exasound, Resonessence Labs....?!!

Small as a figure of speech....

Oh, and on the more extra $$$ category I would had the Analog DAC dac from MSB Tech! :)

Small as a figure of speech....

Oh, and on the more extra $$$ category I would had the Analog DAC dac from MSB Tech! :)

Hi...if you are considering Analog DAC, you may wish to check out Total DAC...http://www.totaldac.com/prices.htm

I have not compared all functions to what you want...but it is for transport or computer audio which i think you wanted, is by all accounts well, well into the high end of performance against some of the traditional heavyweight greats (read reviews comparing it to Esoteric references, Zanden, etc)...and is comfortably within your 2.5-5K budget. Good luck.

BADA Alpha DAC will fit your needs. Pls read the Robert Harley's review in TAS, as in my opinion, it very acurately describes the sound of this DAC.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/berkeley-audio-alpha-dac-series-2-tas-1/

The only problem is, that the matching USB/SPDIF converter, which is absolutely essential for this DAC, costs $1800 extra. But it is well worth the price.

The combo may seem expensive at first @ $6800 ($5000+$1800) but what you will get is a trully state of the art DAC.

I have one on loan at home right now, and absolutely love it.

badamsbaccu.jpg

More than the MSB Analog DAC sitting under it? :D

alexandre

alexandre

wow...good eye! is that what the thin sliver of silver is underneath?

alexandre

Yes, the way I run them (via USB only) I like BADA quite a bit better. I was actually amazed how good this dac sounds. If you ever heard STAX Omega electrostatic headphones, then this DAC sounds similar - it gives extremely nuanced, very finely textured and sophisticated sound, with absolutely ZERO grain. It is also a soundstaging champ.

Yes, the way I run them (via USB only) I like BADA quite a bit better. I was actually amazed how good this dac sounds. If you ever heard STAX Omega electrostatic headphones, then this DAC sounds similar - it gives extremely nuanced, very finely textured and sophisticated sound, with absolutely ZERO grain. It is also a soundstaging champ.

Are you saying you like the BADA better than the MSB? I'm on the list to audition the MSB up against my EMM Labs DAC2X, but if the BADA beats it I could be wating my time.

I've considered the bada in the past but stricke it from my list for not doing DSD... The DACX2 would be my dream dac but Unfortunatly it's to much for my pocket.

I personally would not buy any DAC that couldn't play back DSD files.

The best sounding DAC I've heard for under $10k is the Playback Designs MPD-3. Does every samplerate via USB.

That's interesting! I haven't heard the actual Analog DAC, just MSB's Diamond DAC, but your input is very interesting, as all I've read about the BADA was that it was extremely analitical and cold, which is exactly what I was running away from... But that might've been about the v1, not the newer v2...

So, just to get the facts straight, the BADA does not play DSD, right? Not even via DoP?

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing