Here's to the brick and mortars...and the brave souls who own them.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today, i found out that my little area of San Diego...La Jolla, is now blessed with not one..BUT two(2) high end audio salons!!!

Many of us are now familiar with the excellent store that our good friend Alex Asiufy opened up called Alma Audio. Alex chose my home town of La Jolla to open- and the rest is as they say history.
Now, I hear that a new player is in town--- Deja Vu audio West. An extension of Deja Vu audio. Deja Vu West has opened in the heart of the village of La Jolla and is selling new and used gear.
I am a little astounded that there are now two high end stores within a few miles of each other!
Could this be a trend...More brick and mortar stores? More brick and mortar high end audio stores? If so, I certainly wish them all the best of luck and am very pleased that they both chose my little town
to open their stores in.

Is this a new trend...are we going to be lucky enough to see more brave soles open high-end audio stores around the country.....! I, for one, certainly hope so, but how risky is this? Moreover, can these
same stores compete with the on-line presence that has been such a heavy influence on the consumer...high end and otherwise.

Here's to the both of you guys..:D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
+1000
I've settled into a buying attitude where part of my needs are met by bricks and mortar, part direct relationship w experts that have no shop as such but a strong professional online presence, and remainder s/h bargains online
Have a great dealer for my amps and cart, he works from home
Could get these somewhat cheaper online, but like the relationship and courtesy to have these things serviced and reinstalled professionally
A guy who has no shop but a strong online presence to serve my digital and cabling needs
A couple of pro audio and broadcast guys to help w my power and AV needs, again v powerful online presence
Direct factory sales at discount to mark fact no UK dealers in my speakers and supports/isolation needs
I can only really think of a couple of significant things I found on eBay, incl my current cdp
For me, I'll never use a shop for the whole system again, but I tip my hat to those who run shops, let's hope it's a growing trend

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I hope we see more stores , good for trade in / hearing components , but with the economy in europe i dont think its gonna happen soon .
My favourite store with the trapezium shaped/ noise free listening room ( and great set up guys ) is now a furniture shop .
Mijn hifi nijmegen.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like a store expanding there: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/grand-opening-of-deja-vu-audio-west/

"December 21, 2016 - Déjà Vu Audio, one of the nation’s top high end retailers is excited to announce the opening of their third store-Déjà Vu Audio West at 7855 Herschel Ave, La Jolla, CA 92037. Phone 858-412-4023. Déjà Vu Audio founded in 1995 now has stores serving Miami Florida, McLean Virginia and now La Jolla. "

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey, at least it means I'm on to something :)

I've "discovered" La Jolla, so to speak, and initially battled a certain prejudice from locals, who expected record/audio stores to be in a strip mall in the middle of nowhere.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is there much overlap between your brands Alex? I would suspect your high-end manufacturers would provide you some protection against that and not let them carry what you do.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think B&M stores provide a great opportunity to buy gear the old fashioned way, getting to hear it and examine it in person before buying, and having expert advice to guide you. They also bring awareness of the existence of high end audio to our communities, something that's been seriously lacking, to the point a large majority of folks today have never experienced a high end system.

Economic conditions surely aren't ideal but I wish anyone with B&M stores the best of luck.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The only bad thing I see nowadays about B&M stores is that clients come in to hear equipment and go buy it on-line! Stores have been complaining about that for years. No wonder so many people sell out of their home. That's what happened to recording/mastering studios.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah but thats a given , its a result of changing technology / social environment .
Stores have to adapt somehow , if they dont then ...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The only bad thing I see nowadays about B&M stores is that clients come in to hear equipment and go buy it on-line! Stores have been complaining about that for years. No wonder so many people sell out of their home. That's what happened to recording/mastering studios.

Agreed, and here's the problem...for both the consumer and the B&M dealer....one more middle man is usually involved with the B&M dealer. An example of this, is when a fellow a'phile friend of mine told me of several stores (retailers!) in Japan who are selling Japanese cartridges to the public...on line and in-store. The prices are but a fraction of the prices asked at B&M outlets here in the US. Same exact merchandises, same exact warranties, etc. Problem is that the rep for these very same cartridges is apparently not really a rep at all....he's simply buying the merchandise from these same vendors in Japan and shipping them here to the US. Then he is marking-up the merch and we get the picture!
IMHO, some of the manufacturer's need to get a handle on their distribution network. :D

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
IMHO, some of the manufacturer's need to get a handle on their distribution network. :D

And if they don't, they should get dropped from the B&M store. I know of one instance where a B&M store did this for that very reason. I'd do the same thing in their position.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Agreed, and here's the problem...for both the consumer and the B&M dealer....one more middle man is usually involved with the B&M dealer. An example of this, is when a fellow a'phile friend of mine told me of several stores (retailers!) in Japan who are selling Japanese cartridges to the public...on line and in-store. The prices are but a fraction of the prices asked at B&M outlets here in the US. Same exact merchandises, same exact warranties, etc. Problem is that the rep for these very same cartridges is apparently not really a rep at all....he's simply buying the merchandise from these same vendors in Japan and shipping them here to the US. Then he is marking-up the merch and we get the picture!

Yeah, if you're going to sell through dealers you need to control your pricing otherwise it doesn't work. If I owned a B&M store and was getting undercut on price online I'd dump their product line.

It seems to me when you get to higher priced stuff dealers are absolutely necessary as well.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Is there much overlap between your brands Alex? I would suspect your high-end manufacturers would provide you some protection against that and not let them carry what you do.

As far as I know, not really. Only Ortofon and Solid Steel racks.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com

I am nearing the end of my second year in business and do OK with sales, but I tend to 'focus' on those brands that are more niche. For every major brand I carry, I have another more exclusive, better protected brand to back it. I still consider opening a B&M, but it will be a few years minimum until I can even begin to consider it becoming a reality. For now, having a full-time job is much more reliable than meeting a minimum expense number.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
As far as I know, not really. Only Ortofon and Solid Steel racks.

I believe Koetsu also??
Although possibly only certain pieces in their line...like the Rosewood Signature and Platinum. However, I suspect they can sell other pieces in the line as well...not sure??

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yeah, if you're going to sell through dealers you need to control your pricing otherwise it doesn't work. If I owned a B&M store and was getting undercut on price online I'd dump their product line.

It seems to me when you get to higher priced stuff dealers are absolutely necessary as well.

Remember, the manufacturer has to be very careful in regards to the price fixing laws. I think a lot of them may need refreshers once in a while in regards to those same laws, LOL.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Remember, the manufacturer has to be very careful in regards to the price fixing laws. I think a lot of them may need refreshers once in a while in regards to those same laws, LOL.

Interesting... I see a lot of companies in audio and otherwise that seem to have impenetrable pricing, like there's no way you're getting that brand at more than 10% off anywhere anytime. Some of these are major, huge multinational companies too.

One example, I'm a Furutech dealer and there's no possible way I can get away with advertising prices under msrp. The only ones who do have already closed their account with the distributor or are clearing out discontinued products.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

...not so much. SCt.softened rules on vertical price fixing. Also enforcement is lax.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing