Hi from mullard88

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi to everyone here. JackD201 invited me to join and so here I am.

Perhaps I should start with a little history on how I got into audio.

I started operating my dad's system in the early 1970s when I was about 13 years old. He had a Dual turntable, Akai receiver, and some speakers whose brand name I no longer remember. I bought records and played them on my dad's system and everything was fine.

Then, in 1976, my last year in high school, one of my best friends who I have since referred to as the fake audiophile showed me his B&O beogram 6000 with matching beomaster 6000. They were sleek and beautiful to look at. The beomaster 6000 can even be operated by wireless remote control! I asked my dad to upgrade his system to a B&O system. He refused but gifted me the beogram 6000, beomaster 6000, Nakamichi 700 cassette deck and four Bose 301 speakers. His system stayed in the living room and the system he gave me was installed in the family room.

The next significant event in my audio hobby occurred during my university years when our family was having dinner with another family, an old family friend of our family. The dinner conversation drifted to my hobby, so naturally, I started to describe my system. Coincidentally, the son of the other family, who I will refer to as SC, was also into audio and told me that he had gone through the B&O and Bose path and that I should sell my equipment while they are still working as the bose speaker drivers tend to humidify then breakdown, while the beomaster 6000 controls are worked by rubber bands and these too do not last long. SC graciously invited me to join him in one of his almost nightly listening sessions. I naturally joined him in one of his listening sessions. By the first song, I was hooked. He had a Technics SP 10 turntable, Infinity black widow tonearm, Denon 103 cartridge, Audio Research SP3 preamp, Bryston electronic crossover, Audio Research D 150 amp driving Tympani planar drivers and a solid state amp driving subwoofers. SC also told me to read more about the hobby and told me to specifically read The Absolute Sound.

After I graduated from University and started earning, I was able to save up for my first system. Sonograph turntable, Sumiko premiere MMT tonearm, Grado 8 cartridge, Precision Fidelity C7 preamp, Precision Fidelity M7 power amp and Spica TC 50 speakers. I have since been buying equipment and keeping the ones that I really like. I now have a small room full of equipment I had accumulated from the early 1980s. From my first system, the Spica TC 50, which has undergone some modifications, still gets inserted into whatever chain is cobbled up in my listening room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome Mullard88 :)

We call Mullard the Synergy Man over here. With his collection of fine equipment (literally a room full of gear on industrial shelving) from the likes of ARC, Spectral, Forsell, Lamm, FM Acoustics and many,many, many more and a myriad of loudspeakers from monitors to dynamic floorstanders to planars and electrostats to his one-off Entech ribbon/cone line arrays, not to mention one mean cartridge collection, Mullard is a guy who is never afraid of mixing and matching and doing stuff that defies convention. It is always a treat to get an invitation from him when he comes up with an interesting new combination. His music LP and CD collection is eclectic and to die for. I've received many a good tip from him.

The last one was a pair of LS3/5as driven by Lamm M1.1s, a spectral preamp, the phono section of a highly modified SP3a using MIT Oracles which needed their own stands so as not to yank the speakers into the air. The best I've ever heard a pair of these classics sing.

There's never a dull moment at Sam's place!

Welcome Buddy!!!!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
After I graduated from University and started earning, I was able to save up for my first system. Sonograph turntable, Sumiko premiere MMT tonearm, Grado 8 cartridge, Precision Fidelity C7 preamp, Precision Fidelity M7 power amp and Spica TC 50 speakers.

Hi Mullard88 and glad to see you here. I remember those Precision Fidelity electronics, and the Spica TC50s. The Spica TC50s made me erase my Bose, JBLs and Infinity RS3b from my audio world then. Such tiny speakers made such a huge impact in my audio life.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Jadis,

Glad to know you're also here. Makes me feel really at home. It's amazing to think back that we were listening buddies for so long, longer than our married lives. Didn't you also have a pair of Spica TC 50?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis,

Glad to know you're also here. Makes me feel really at home. It's amazing to think back that we were listening buddies for so long, longer than our married lives. Didn't you also have a pair of Spica TC 50?

Yes, Mullard88, and I still remember a lot of our listening sessions together then. I did own a Spica TC-50 too, and it was mated with a Musical Fidelity A1 Class A intergrated amp for my bedroom system. My main speakers then were the Thiel CS3.5s.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Ha ha ha . . . . I can never forget how you made my then girl friend laugh so hard when you declared that you wanted a marriage contract with your Thiel CS 3.5s.

I just discovered that our buddy audiostar is also here.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ha ha ha . . . . I can never forget how you made my then girl friend laugh so hard when you declared that you wanted a marriage contract with your Thiel CS 3.5s.

I just discovered that our buddy audiostar is also here.

Yes, audiostar is also here. As to the planned marriage contract with the Thiels back then, it's a good thing the law did not provide for that because I would have broken the law 5 years after my declaration. Haha...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing