Hi there from London

monya

Jul 22, 2011
This minor metropolis from across the pond has been my home for about 30 years although I come from Bath - nice Roman place. Would be in the countryside given the chance but the Mrs. loves London:(
Have been into hifi for about 50 years which is a while. Don't do box swapping - just a decent 2 channel system with cd (now) front end being Nagra, new preamp last month ( ARC ref 5 ) feeding a darTZeel power amp ( not the monoblocks-I wish) into Magico V2's. I like the wood. All strung together with MIT interconnects and Transparent speaker cable. Not much UK gear here at the moment- its just the way its worked out.
Waiting for the pre to break in which I gather takes forever!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum. I went to school for a short while in Brighton Beach. And have been to London more times than I count! My definition heaven in 1970s was seeing the HiFi shops on Oxford street in London. Is there much of that still left?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Welcome to the forum. I went to school for a short while in Brighton Beach. And have been to London more times than I count! My definition heaven in 1970s was seeing the HiFi shops on Oxford street in London. Is there much of that still left?
Oxford St has changed a lot Amir since you've been here...pretty much all department stores on one end, and then as you head east across the city, it becomes a little bit more mid-end boutiquey. There is almost no high end in London the way you find in Boston, NY or SF. There's KJ West One, Robert Taussig, Metropolis (not really in London) and a couple others...and none on Oxford St.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Feel free to PM if you are ever in town. Happy to say hello, and take you to KJ Audio...know all the guys there very well.

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
There used to be lots of Hi-Fi shops near Oxford Street, mostly in Tottenham Court Road. Some were good, some a bit dodgy, but in the days before the internet it was probably the best place to see/hear things. I rarely bought there though.

More often I would be in the area for records (you know, what we now call vinvyl!) and books (Foyles was nearby).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There used to be lots of Hi-Fi shops near Oxford Street, mostly in Tottenham Court Road. Some were good, some a bit dodgy, but in the days before the internet it was probably the best place to see/hear things. I rarely bought there though.

More often I would be in the area for records (you know, what we now call vinvyl!) and books (Foyles was nearby).

Yes there were several good new and used LP stores there! I kinda miss the Tower at Piccadilly Circus though :)

monya

Jul 22, 2011
Hey I’m back. Long time no see! Added vinyl a while ago - Clearaudio Innovation with Graham phantom and Lyra Atlas. Don’t listen to 2 channel much now. Mostly headphones these days. Stax 009S from a Grounded Grid design amp sourced from an ARC cd9. Also a separate streaming system using an Auralic Aries wirelessly into an Aqua La Scala dac then into a Feliks Euphoria Anniversary amp. Just added Lessloss cables from streamer to dac and dac to amp. Happy days....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing