High-end Speakers V Headphone - you kidding me....

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Headphones are nice since it removes the room. And more pragmatically, can be used late at night w/o waking up the kids or neighbors.
It can never replace the speaker experience though.

I also think the Susvara is better than Abyss but I can see why someone would like Abyss.
Agree with you speaker experience is amazing. For most though practical wise, headphones the way to go. (Space, cost, dedicated room, room layout etc.)

With that said the amount I spent on my headphone rig can probably buy a decent tier speaker system and dedicated room but at the expense of a very very unhappy wife as my living room will be boxed up. Lol!

I was blasting my speakers today (now once in a blue moon occasion) and the bass and the feeling of speakers always still wow me.

Reactions: Manesp2

drunkenspyder

Apr 6, 2020
NorCal, USA
www.hammondraffetto.art
I also think the Susvara is better than Abyss but I can see why someone would like Abyss.
If possible, headphones are even more subject to personal taste. Even if two audiophiles “heard” a speaker system “the same,” those same two could easily hear a headphone rig differently. So, I never interpret one person’s preference for one headphone over another as anything more than personal preference, unless they articulate specific characteristics at which one demonstrably excels.

Even so, there are aspects of the headphone that can affect one’s assessment that are not even rational. For example, I truly despise the design of the Abyss, so much so that I know it prevents me from assessing it rationally. That’s my problem. And it doesn’t cause me to devalue anyone else’s review. I wish I could like the Abyss. I truly cannot. And that’s my problem.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
9B76FF07-4CF9-4600-A876-41B96E0887F1.jpeg
I recently switched fom planars (Hifiman EditionX v2) to a new Nov ´19 pair of Jade ii and energizer. Paired with a Mytek Liberty DAC with 200w silverwound PSU. Benched against Arya, Jr and Empyrean and midrange STAX. For me this was a no-brainer. This was such an incredible deal. If I would have sold my old setup instead of trade-in I would probably gone positive cash flow. I merely put in a leftover 1.6A SR Blue fuse and this thing delivered so much enjoyment and conveyed improved communication with the artists.

But reading about early production units of this can was disheartening and I came back severeal times to the dealer and benched for days for reality checks.

The fit is absolutely incredible with light-weight cans you can wear a whole day. These are a steal and with a Carbon they will deliver into the stratosphere.

The only negative is the cord which is microphonic. So if you turn and twist your head alot then this might be a turnoff but otherwise it’s bearable and not super-annoying.

But remembering the OT I would not trade away my hifi/HT for any can. There is something special with physically feeling the music in your body. But cans do present great enjoyment and the price is nice compared to a great hifi or HT system with a great room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
I have to differ. Having had the Susvara here for 4 months, I prefer the speed and soundstage of the Abyss. It may depend on the music type you listen too? Classical is nice on the Susvara, as it is a bit more polite. For live music or a 'being there' presentation the Abyss does it better IMO.

The fit on the Abyss is super fiddly, it took me 2 weeks to nail it. But it is worth it. So don't rate the HP at a quick demo or show situation, you need to get the fit right for your head shape. Then the magic happens.... View attachment 64840

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Sorry, twitchy finger!

the Susvara need a TON of power to achieve sound quality anywhere near their potential- which is very high. I’m driving them off the speaker taps of my DarTZeel LHC-208. It puts out 200 wpc. And I’m using damn close to all of it! Drive Susvaras with sufficient power and they are transformed. Not enough and they are just good.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Hello all.. My first post here.. What a great place to start.. I’ve been practicing audio for over half a century now.. the quest for being immersed completely in the music is addictive... Glad we have so many great choices!
I personally find myself listening to my main systems loudspeakers more than headphones.. I find it to be more airy and lifelike sounding.. Music through headphones is like listening to music under a microscope, for better lack of terms. The headphones do eliminate the room and the acoustic anomalies associated with it, which is great to hear deep into the recording... it also cuts out the in-laws and other distracting noises better.. but I still prefer the open and airy sound the room emits when lit up with the loudspeakers.. especially with a great recording.. it’s like being there. I also find my speakers, Daedalus Athena’s, add to the realism of the Sonics.. especially for pianos.. maybe it’s the mass creating that more visceral feel to the music..
Both are great in their own way and necessary !!! But I always seem to gravitate to the loudspeakers for that musical “experience“.

Reactions: kt22 and matthias

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I am not surprised. I suggest you are in a distinct minority. Perhaps that is where you want to be. I can't debate preference.
Just stumbled on this again. Isn't that exactly what we do here: Debate preference?

Reactions: rgmd11

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just stumbled on this again. Isn't that exactly what we do here: Debate preference?
we bob and weave and use whatever supports our agenda. I come here to share my knowledge of audio. It is my hope I will also be enlightened and corrected.

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Hello,

I'm very fond of planars, specifically Audeze.
About Stax, I've owned some but I don't like the plastic coloration of the drivers. For my taste none shows " the natural state of things" as Audezes.
I've owned in my collection the full range of Audezes but I'm very happy with LCD4 now a days.
I have Sennheiser 800 and 800S, ATH W 3000 SE, Fostex 900 and many more but usually listen LCD4.

About the amps, I've owned a lot of them. Zana Deux, Woo Audio, Burson, Auralic, Cavalli, Leben, Rogue Audio, Icon Audio...and many more.
Currently I have Leben, Auralic Taurus, Burson Virtuoso 2 and micro ZOTL. For time now I only listen the David Berning micro ZOTL 2 design in my late night sessions.
This is a very special amplifier, without output transformers, and with Sennheiser 800 sounds a lot better than their top Orpheus (Oh, my God :eek:;)). It's a bargain for the price!

https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/headphone-amps

Some photos

View attachment 63274 View attachment 63275 View attachment 63276 View attachment 63277 View attachment 63278 View attachment 63279

I believe Meze demo the "Empyrean" with the MZ3

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I have the Raal Headphones with their matching amplifier and am quite impressed as they have a transparency that pure ribbons do. And this goes all the way into the bass frequency too.
They are still headphones and have that sound a wee bit forward of your face, but nowhere like what speakers do.
With the Raal if you don't chose the limited amount of headphone amps available, you need a speaker power amplifier to drive them. In my books that gives you so many more options than having a headphone amplifier and could take the listening experience even further.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I find that all headphones with conventional stereo recordings are intolerable.
I find the problem is generally the early stereo recording ala Van Gelder with distinct left and right channels and often empty space in the middle. Through headphones, that can be disconcerting. I own Grado HP1s for mastering my recordings for private use (live orchestra, choral and chamber recordings-cannot release due to union costs).

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I find the problem is generally the early stereo recording ala Van Gelder with distinct left and right channels and often empty space in the middle. Through headphones, that can be disconcerting. I own Grado HP1s for mastering my recordings for private use (live orchestra, choral and chamber recordings-cannot release due to union costs).
I can understand that but, for listening, do you really get a soundstage outside your cranium?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I can understand that but, for listening, do you really get a soundstage outside your cranium?
You have to use your imagination a bit... picture yourself up on stage in the middle of the band, be careful not to trip over any non audiophile cables.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
You have to use your imagination a bit... picture yourself up on stage in the middle of the band, be careful not to trip over any non audiophile cables.
I don't need headphones (or speakers or a system) to picture it. In fact, headphone listening conflicts with my efforts to hear it as an external event.

Reactions: Simon Moon

Clipper

Feb 7, 2020
I started using headphones just this year for late in the night listening so not to disturb others in the house , they were easy to get use to and I’m thrilled with the sound of them .. HiFiman HE1000 LE

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I too am looking for headphones. There are some good suggestions here. There are a lot of good posts. Then to much Headphones Cant Be Speakers dribble.

A friend loaned me a Woo WA6 yesterday. I put my AKG 700.2 into it. I had been going direct into my open reel player. The difference was not large. The internal reel preamp is a little more clean, linear and snappy. The Woo makes it a little warmer, smooth and lush. My headphones are a little lean so the lush is nice, but the loss of dynamics missed.

My friend said to consider some of the MrSpeaker Aeon Flow C headphones.

I am also considering a Shiit Valhalla pre. Would I hear much between that and the Woo.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I too am looking for headphones. There are some good suggestions here. There are a lot of good posts. Then to much Headphones Cant Be Speakers dribble.

A friend loaned me a Woo WA6 yesterday. I put my AKG 700.2 into it. I had been going direct into my open reel player. The difference was not large. The internal reel preamp is a little more clean, linear and snappy. The Woo makes it a little warmer, smooth and lush. My headphones are a little lean so the lush is nice, but the loss of dynamics missed.

My friend said to consider some of the MrSpeaker Aeon Flow C headphones.

I am also considering a Shiit Valhalla pre. Would I hear much between that and the Woo.
I can only speak to the Valhalla, fast, clean and just to the right of neutral. This was with some amprex 6922.
Since I use Sennheiser HD650’s, and not very often, I gave the Valhalla to my son and I use the Magni 3 which is a good combo for me. I had a Grace 902 that was neutral, I preferred the Magni which is less intense, but more musically relaxing..

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I will have the Valhalla 2 soon. Its also my open reel tape preamp and headphone amp.
What about the Mr Speaker. Are they good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing