High Fidelity Cables

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hello bazelio,
If time permits, I test different hifi components every now and again. Cables are a hobbyhorse of mine. I've tested a lot of different cables over the past few years, from old established cable manufacturers like Transparent, MIT, Wireworld, Audioquest, Siltech et cetera. Especially lately I have dealt extensively with grounding systems and currently well tested cables such as Masterbuild, Jorma, Synergistic and Higher Fidelity cables.
In my hi-fi chain, the Higher Fidelity cables also seemed at first a little reserved. Especially these magnetic cables took a lot of playing time and after at least 200 hours they play very dynamically. The Higher Fidelity Cables as well as the Master Built Cables belong to the cables which impressed me very much. In the disciplines of musicality, naturalness and soundstage these cables are almost on par with the Schnerzinger cables.
With the Higher Fidelity cables it is important to use them as a complete system otherwise much of their magic can be lost. As I am currently working intensively on grounding systems like Tripoint, Nordost, Schnerzinger, Entreq etc., I can already say that these massive sonic progresses cause my audio system. I advise anyone who does not have a grounding system to test one. I wish you a lot of fun listening and give the Higher Fidelity cables some more time, it will be worth!
Greetings tubedoctor

Thanks, tubedoctor!
Someone on Audiogon was selling two pair of the High Fidelity Ultimate Reference RCA interconnects. They were a couple years old, and fully broken in. He let me audition them in home and they were fantastic. After my recent cable rolling adventures, these HF UR interconnects were my second favorite cables behind only the top of the line Master Builts. And honestly, they aren't far off. The Mastur Built were a bit better in micro dynamics and had a slightly fuller (if not rounder) tone. But I also can't complain about the High Fidelity Ultimate Reference in either category. So, with the enormous price difference, I'd be more than happy to "settle" for the High Fidelity.

Interestingly, though, the owner also told me that he'd recommend avoiding the High Fidelity speaker cables. He found them rolled off and unfixable with break in. Nothing like the HF interconnects. He'd also tried a special low capacitance version from Rick Shultz, and still didn't like them. Perhaps it was system related, but he recommended Schnerzinger speaker cables over the HFs.

Tubedoctor

Dec 12, 2012
Hello bazelio,
I spent a long time testing on the Higher Fidelity and Master Built cables. I can not confirm that the HF speaker cable is not detailed.The Master Built cables are a little more detailed but it is not a quantum leap compared to the HF cables. The only quantum leap in all terms - musicality, resolution, spatial imaging, neutrality, precision and dynamics - would be the Schnerzinger cables, especially when they are operated with the optional high-frequency protectors.
I think you should be very happy about your HF cables, especially since you got them cheaper. Since the Master Built cable compared to the HF cable is not spectacular much better you do not need to think about a change.
Schnerzinger are not cheap and you will not get a discount. Because the new Schnerzinger "TS" series are so much better than the older series, you should not buy the older Schnerzinger series even when getting them cheaper. So, i think you did everything right!
Anyway i think, if you are satisfied you should not think about any improvements. Better buy new music from the saved money, that's what it's all about in the true sense.
Have fun, tubedoctor

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Interestingly, though, the owner also told me that he'd recommend avoiding the High Fidelity speaker cables. He found them rolled off and unfixable with break in. Nothing like the HF interconnects. He'd also tried a special low capacitance version from Rick Shultz, and still didn't like them. Perhaps it was system related, but he recommended Schnerzinger speaker cables over the HFs.

I can but concur, I am running TOTL RCA cables from sources to ARC Ref10 and they are extraordinary good, I would have run the same from Pre to Power however wished to run balanced which was not an option back then.

I also spent some time demoing three separate pairs of Ultimate SC's on of which was also 'special' low cap version and they just sucked the life out of my system, I was having to apply 30% additional attenuation on the Ref10 to get close to the SPL levels and dynamics that I was used to, even the UK dealer / distributer was non plussed, yet had to agree.

Staxxx

Jul 8, 2018
I can but concur, I am running TOTL RCA cables from sources to ARC Ref10 and they are extraordinary good, I would have run the same from Pre to Power however wished to run balanced which was not an option back then.

I also spent some time demoing three separate pairs of Ultimate SC's on of which was also 'special' low cap version and they just sucked the life out of my system, I was having to apply 30% additional attenuation on the Ref10 to get close to the SPL levels and dynamics that I was used to, even the UK dealer / distributer was non plussed, yet had to agree.

Hello all

I recently purchased an earlier version of the CT-1 Ultimate Reference speaker cables. I am enjoying them in my current system although I did have to increase the attenuation by some tweaks on my Memory Player server. I also used Total Contact which was an exceptionally good upgrade to the sound.

However, I am contemplating upgrading to the Helix. I have been offered this at a great price through HFC where the customer service has been really responsive. Any thoughts, especially if you know if the issue with the capacitance has been sorted out?

Thanks. Look forward to some replies as I cannot hear and compare from where I am currently.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I am currently looking for 2 new power cords to connect a phono stage and a music server or DAC. I borrowed 2 Ultimate High Fidelity power cables. They are very good, lots of resolution, but in some cases I feel, they are a bit too revealing:). Is it possible? Are there any users of HFC power cords here? Any comparisons to Shunyata or Kubala Sosna power cables?
Thanks in advance.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I am currently looking for 2 new power cords to connect a phono stage and a music server or DAC. I borrowed 2 Ultimate High Fidelity power cables. They are very good, lots of resolution, but in some cases I feel, they are a bit too revealing:). Is it possible? Are there any users of HFC power cords here? Any comparisons to Shunyata or Kubala Sosna power cables?
Thanks in advance.

I have a HF PRO and a couple of Helix UR power cords in my system.
If you are interested, I may be selling one of the Helix UR power cords.
These power cords from High Fidelity are the best sounding cords I have heard in the 30 years I have started in this audio hobby - just incredible power cords!

Attachments

• HighFidelityHelix2.jpg
    HighFidelityHelix2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 42
  • HighFidelityPower.jpg
    HighFidelityPower.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Reactions: jackson_k

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
I have a HF PRO and a couple of Helix UR power cords in my system.
If you are interested, I may be selling one of the Helix UR power cords.
These power cords from High Fidelity are the best sounding cords I have heard in the 30 years I have started in this audio hobby - just incredible power cords!
I will have to add and agree that HFC is one of these magic cable that just works ! I can't tell you how and why it worked but in my system they are simply amazing ! I just got my PRO pc hooked up to the Streamer as well and its been nothing short of amazing. I am wondering if I should get a PRO to hook up to my DAC/ Processor ,,, I am currently running a DATASAT RS20i as my stereo system controller,,, : ) I believe in Room tuning is more important that most other tweaks.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Incoming - PRO Speaker Cables!

Reactions: jackson_k

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Will be interested in hearing your thoughts on the speaker cables. I've heard from a couple people that the HF speaker cables don't work as well as their other cables (interconnects, power) due to some capacitance issues. Rick has offered these folks low capacitance versions, which apparently didn't pan out and they eventually returned them.

The so-called "pro" line is pretty extreme. I've never heard any of them. How do they scale above the "consumer" Helix products? Interestingly, the newer CT-2 products are based on the established Helix design and are apparently a really big step up at their (relatively low, in the world of insane cable pricing) price point.

Reactions: jturbo

Maragoo

Nov 3, 2017
Think its time to leave my feedback or very bad experience on Rick Schulz and High Fidelity Cables.

At the beginning of this year I've sent an request by email to HFC, if an update from Reveal line of cables is a big step up to CT2. They told me it's a clear improvement when going to CT2 full loom. As it was about 10'000$ to go straight to a complete system cabling with CT2 their customer service agreed on 30 day money back warraty if I'm not fully satisfied - so I've take the risk and made the transaction by credit card.

A few weeks later the parcel arrived and I've installed the brand new cables. I was running the TQ Burnin disc 24h to get the cables ready faster. During my listening test I wasn't really impressed by the cables but after further contact with Rick I left them untouched in my system for a longer time. The sound was still boring to listen at and offered a very flat soundstage - the upgrade wasn't worth the big outlay.

That's why I've sent an email to Rick and I was very suprised as he first told me, that there's no money back warranty on this cable line. After complaining and forwarding the email from his customer service, he agreed and I've sent the cable fully insured back.
They have got the cables back and the customer service told me, that it will take up to ten days for transfering the money back - this was end of march! By now, still no money transfered back to me and emails to the customer service get unanswered - only after telling them that I will forward this case to my lawyer and report this fraud to the police department, I've got an answer from Rick telling me, that the money will take another 3-5 days to be sent back - this also was just a liar as there wasn't comming any money back until now.

This is not the customer service a manufacturer should offer to his highend audio customers and cheat them by such big amount of money! The case is now at my lawyer.

Be warned to deal with High Fidelity Cables - thats my experience I had with them and I will never advise any of my friend this cables again - also I've sold all my HFC cables and switched to a trustful brand where the customer service is their most important part in business (thx Entreq btw).

Reactions: gkg2k and sale

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Think its time to leave my feedback or very bad experience on Rick Schulz and High Fidelity Cables.

At the beginning of this year I've sent an request by email to HFC, if an update from Reveal line of cables is a big step up to CT2. They told me it's a clear improvement when going to CT2 full loom. As it was about 10'000$ to go straight to a complete system cabling with CT2 their customer service agreed on 30 day money back warraty if I'm not fully satisfied - so I've take the risk and made the transaction by credit card.

A few weeks later the parcel arrived and I've installed the brand new cables. I was running the TQ Burnin disc 24h to get the cables ready faster. During my listening test I wasn't really impressed by the cables but after further contact with Rick I left them untouched in my system for a longer time. The sound was still boring to listen at and offered a very flat soundstage - the upgrade wasn't worth the big outlay.

That's why I've sent an email to Rick and I was very suprised as he first told me, that there's no money back warranty on this cable line. After complaining and forwarding the email from his customer service, he agreed and I've sent the cable fully insured back.
They have got the cables back and the customer service told me, that it will take up to ten days for transfering the money back - this was end of march! By now, still no money transfered back to me and emails to the customer service get unanswered - only after telling them that I will forward this case to my lawyer and report this fraud to the police department, I've got an answer from Rick telling me, that the money will take another 3-5 days to be sent back - this also was just a liar as there wasn't comming any money back until now.

This is not the customer service a manufacturer should offer to his highend audio customers and cheat them by such big amount of money! The case is now at my lawyer.

Be warned to deal with High Fidelity Cables - thats my experience I had with them and I will never advise any of my friend this cables again - also I've sold all my HFC cables and switched to a trustful brand where the customer service is their most important part in business (thx Entreq btw).

Sad story. Unfortunately, I agree, that dealing with anyone other than Rick himself is futile. Nobody else seems to have authority nor a clue about the product.

That said, I still think the Ultimate and Helix lines of interconnect are great sounding cables. But not at MSRP. That's just silly pricing. IMO.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
@Maragoo, Did you try getting refund through your credit card company?

I've dealt with HFC / Rick and very surprise with your circumstance. GL getting the refund.

The only HFC in my system NOW is 17 MC 0.5 and 2 MC-1 PRO in one duplex. Wonderful tweak!

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
On Audiogon, Rick has 121-Positive and 1-Negative feedback.
Guess we know who the 1 is .........

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Actually I have dealt with HFC product and Rick directly for a while and I have to say he is very honest and is there to help his customers with different questions, as you know audiophile we have a lot of crazy , sometimes silly questions , but he is always there to answer patiently ,,, I hope you guys work out the situation and that everyone is happy , but my experience with Rick has been positive,, hopefully it was just a misunderstanding that it can be worked out, also I do like the CT-2 pc,, as they are worked very well in my system and for the price, its very very good,, I have also heard another system with PRO pc , and man o man they have transformed the system ( nothing was changed except the PCs ) they are that good.

Maragoo

Nov 3, 2017
I really hope to get a happy end on this story...but atm its not in my hands and HFC has to just fullfil the contract and send my money back.

Maragoo

Nov 3, 2017
Little update on this...

In the meantime 50% of the amount was transfered back, 48% should follow in the next few days hopefully. They cutted down the amount and there are still 2% left and unpaid - really advice everybody not ot deal with HFC!

This what I've got as an answer from HFC - why no tell the truth from right of the beginning??
The honest truth is we over-stretched our budget to something we committed to a year ago, which unfortunately we were unable to get out of. We are on the other side of it now and will be able to pay you the money owed. I am sorry if this has reflected badly on the company as this is not how we want to conduct business or be portrayed to the public. It was unacceptable, and was unavoidable and we sincerely apologize.

I've learned a lot and one thing is sure - I will never again deal with HFC and fcus on different brands and try to go through local dealers to be on the save side of life - will not be easy as there are just a few brand available here in Switzerland - but there are also two very helpful UK Dealers offering great support with try at home loanings!

Reactions: sale

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I can't imagine why one might consider owning this product after visiting the HFC demo at AXPONA. To begin, the speaker system they displayed was clearly in the top 3 WORST things I heard at the show. That a manufacturer would choose to demonstrate his products on a speaker system that looks like it was glued together from Home Depot and Parts Express does not inspire confidence. The sound was pitiful and laughable. But the most offensive material was the ludicrous explanation of why their cables are superior to everything else. When someone tries to redefine the laws of physics and suggests there are good electrons and bad electrons and only his cables know how to distinguish them, it's time to just shake my head and walk away. Was there an award for best charlatan at the show?

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
LOL. Not exactly free from artifice. What were the Home Depot speakers, exactly?

PS sad to hear. And speaking of hot garbage, the Reveal power cables fit the bill.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing