Hint of new Magico products

What I also like about Magico is that they do at times release products that are better then the previous ones, and due to the design-manufacturing requirements can actually mean a cheaper product; the usual trend in hifi (and some other sectors) is if it sounds better make the price higher.
Of course this sort of sucks for owners of the earlier models, but it makes sense the price margin should be real world reflection of what is involved, and why as Magico improves their processes the price has come down from a lot of their earlier models.
There are others that do this as well, but it is pretty clear with Magico due to being a youngish company that continues to evolve their product line.

Cheers
Orb

I'll bet Magico dealers with M5s in stock weren't real happy when the Q5s were released.

I'll bet Magico dealers with M5s in stock weren't real happy when the Q5s were released.

What about consumers that can now buy a better product cheaper? In any other, normal, business this will be the norm and a good thing right?

What about consumers that can now buy a better product cheaper? In any other, normal, business this will be the norm and a good thing right?

Unless you are the guy left holding the old inventory.

Or even if you are the owner of the "legacy product" that just took a big depreciation hit.....

So you are saying, don't evolve and improve? This is interesting and perhaps explains to some degree the stagnation of the high-end as an industry. Everything we buy is like that, so why Audio should be different?

So you are saying, don't evolve and improve? This is interesting and perhaps explains to some degree the stagnation of the high-end as an industry. Everything we buy is like that, so why Audio should be different?

I'm all for progress and improvement - just listing what types of people may be mildly annoyed when a new product is launched, that relegates the existing product to legacy status. I'm personally usually of the benefiting end of this type of "progress" and innovation, because I tend to buy the depreciated stuff. Cased in point - I would consider buying a used spectral DMA 360 series 2 when the 300rs hits the market. In digital this equation does not always work, but in analog - including speakers - it certainly does.

Or even if you are the owner of the "legacy product" that just took a big depreciation hit.....

I could see an owner of the M5 feeling like that, but if this new product was better than the Q5 and cheaper, I don't think I would be upset.

You have to jump at some point. I've had mine for almost a year and use them multiple hours almost everyday. There's a value to that. Moreover, I expect a company like Magico to continue to innovate - it's what they do.

I didn't buy my speakers as an investment and, I expect them to depreciate; I bought them to use them.

I thought the complaint was how high end prices keep going up with new models, here we have the complaint of price coming down :)
More seriously though maybe Jap touched on something on why it can seem prices go up rather than down and that is to protect the dealers/replaced model still to be sold out/2nd hand market *shrug*.
TBH though I prefer the business model approach of Magico as they seem to be doing what most journalists and audiophiles say is needed and that is a break in the cycle of ever increasing prices for new models - although majority of Magico gear is probably beyond the price bracket this is directed at.

One alternative approach is possibly like what Devialet is doing to assist owners of the first iteration of D-Premier models, where the internals are replaced with the current components and a new 5 year guarantee is given at a competitive price.
I should not be surprised as knowing those/background behind Devialet their approach is very much in line with carrier class telecom-network component and product support/upgrade.
Cheers
Orb

i think most higher end speakers aimed at a brick and mortar dealer network have frequent model upgrades. i'm not suggesting that the upgrades are not upping performance, or suggesting they are not upping performance for the dollar, only that regular upgrades to new models drive more sales.

certainly Magico and Wilson (as the most prominent brick and mortar high end speaker brands at the moment) fit this mould.

is this good for current owners of those brands that bought them new? likely depends on the viewpoint and agenda of the individual customer.

for myself; back in the 90's i owned a used set of Wilson WP 3/2's, then bought new WP 5.1's and then new WP 6.0's....and then in 2001 moved away from Wilson to Kharma. i never had an issue with the Wilson upgrades myself and got decent value when i sold them.

Last edited:
The interesting thing about Magico is that they do often release new models which outperform what they are replacing and which cost less: M5/Q5; Mini2/Q1; V3/S5. The problem is that as soon as there is a review, or the introduction period is over, there is a slow and very steady creep up in price. The most cost effective ways to buy Magico speakers is either 1) new and immediately upon release, i.e. as an early adopter, or 2) used once the model has been discontinued. One exception to this I think was with the M5 where there were some great deals on the remaining demo inventory for a while after the Q5 was released.

I have not observed other manufacturers enough to know if this is true with other speaker brands.

The current marketing photo of a transparent S3 with the sealed mid enclosure is pretty interesting as far as new Magico technology is concerned. It would be very interesting to see what is happening inside the M Project. Did you notice how the top plate is thicker in the rear than it is in the front? And I wonder if there will be some trickle down of the Ultimate 3 with smaller, open baffle designs, not necessarily horns.

You have to jump at some point. I've had mine for almost a year and use them multiple hours almost everyday. There's a value to that. Moreover, I expect a company like Magico to continue to innovate - it's what they do.

I didn't buy my speakers as an investment and, I expect them to depreciate; I bought them to use them.

+1 I own M5's and bought them before they were introduced at CES, think they were $65k and shortly thereafter went up to $78k or so, memory fails me. Was asked recently if I would sell them by a dealer and I decided no because ~$27- $30k is all they would bring. I like them way more than any other $40k speaker I know of and prefer them to the Q5 in terms of looks (in my room) and not far behind them in sonics either IMHO. They will certainly last me the 10 years I expected when I bought them and probably beyond. I still love listening through them and until that changes I am not going to upgrade. So I do not worry about depreciation... only will the company stay around and be able to service them if the need ever arises. I think Magico is a good investment on those two points.

+1 I own M5's and bought them before they were introduced at CES, think they were $65k and shortly thereafter went up to $78k or so, memory fails me. Was asked recently if I would sell them by a dealer and I decided no because ~$27- $30k is all they would bring. I like them way more than any other $40k speaker I know of and prefer them to the Q5 in terms of looks (in my room) and not far behind them in sonics either IMHO. They will certainly last me the 10 years I expected when I bought them and probably beyond. I still love listening through them and until that changes I am not going to upgrade. So I do not worry about depreciation... only will the company stay around and be able to service them if the need ever arises. I think Magico is a good investment on those two points.

IMHO, M5 is still one of the best speakers available and 27-30k market price making them one of the best p/p

One of the rare cases I would strongly agree with JV

I like the idea of an M project - perhaps also because of room and system, the best Magico sound I ever listened to was using the fabulous M5's.

Have you listened to the Q7 before? If so, how does it compare to the M5?
I'd listened to the Q7 and was completely blown away.

When JV reviewed the M5s in10/09, the retail was $89,000.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tas-196-magico-m5-loudspeaker/

He reviewed the Q5s in 8/11, the retail price was $60,000.

“I can sum up this difference rather quickly—the Qs were and are substantially lower in distortion and substantially higher in resolutionthan the Ms.”

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-q5-loudspeaker-tas-214/

That I agree also, but does not make M5s inferior, Q5 is just better than one the best speakers. Q5 replaced M5 in a cheaper and better way. M Project is a different case, it should be much better than Q5 as the price.

I have placed my order for the M project speaker but i am wondering now if i should have gone for the Q7 instead...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing