Hot Pressings

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Been playing this one a lot. The vinyl is definitely worth buying because it is a different mix/master - and far better sonically to the digital (including high-rez) versions. The 12" x 12" book that comes with the LP is also far nicer than the little 4.5" x 4.5" booklet that comes with the CD.

Lorde.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^ Listening to the HD file of the whole album on Youtube as I type this. She kinda reminds me of Sia a bit. So far I like it (on track #4).

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Amazingly, according to the Loudness Wars database, the Youtube HD version has better dynamic range than the CD and hirez downloads :confused:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=lorde&album=

The last Bowie album was significantly more dynamic as a MP3, compared to the CD. It's because of itunes and their compression scheme. Over-compressed recordings interfere with it, so the irony is in full swing. The very entity that some blame for the pinnacle of the loudness wars is driving the idea of greater dynamic range. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go and set what's left of my hair on fire.

:)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The last Bowie album was significantly more dynamic as a MP3, compared to the CD. It's because of itunes and their compression scheme. Over-compressed recordings interfere with it, so the irony is in full swing. The very entity that some blame for the pinnacle of the loudness wars is driving the idea of greater dynamic range. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go and set what's left of my hair on fire.

:)

Har Har. What's even more ironical is that many iPods and other mp3 players have compression built-in to accommodate ear-buds, so "mastered for iTunes" means less compression, not more.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
"Tug of War" Paul McCartney

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Bill Barron "The Next Plateau", Muse 1992

If you like Sphere's "Flight Path", you'll enjoy this one...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I pulled out my long-lost Ricky Lee Jones' Girl at Her Volcano to demo with recently. As it's just a 10-inch EP, it always gets lost in my record rack - but it holds great music - Under the Boardwalk, Walking with Renee, etc.

However, as my copy's pretty old and noisy, I set out to find a better pressing - and I'm glad I did. In the '80s some of the record labels - including Warner - pressed their promo albums on Quiex II virgin vinyl. This was before Classic Records made Quiex popular among audiophiles. Some of these promo albums can still be found in good quality. This one was in "unplayed" condition.

Girl at her Volcano Quiex.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I pulled out my long-lost Ricky Lee Jones' Girl at Her Volcano to demo with recently. As it's just a 10-inch EP, it always gets lost in my record rack - but it holds great music - Under the Boardwalk, Walking with Renee, etc.

However, as my copy's pretty old and noisy, I set out to find a better pressing - and I'm glad I did. In the '80s some of the record labels - including Warner - pressed their promo albums on Quiex II virgin vinyl. This was before Classic Records made Quiex popular among audiophiles. Some of these promo albums can still be found in good quality. This one was in "unplayed" condition.

View attachment 15012

+1

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
And so...

My copy is playing NM-. Remarkably quiet, even between tracks with a few occasional light ticks that go a few revolutions and fall off in a few quiet spots. I like it better than Ludwig..especially the bass (Quite extended and will give the 45 rpm a run for it's money). I will need to do a another comparo with my 45 rpm classic reissue. For $280.00 I am more than happy given the condition. Visually I thought it would play EX with a slight noise floor but it reality it sound's like fresh vinyl from 1969...quiet.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congrats Christian. At Mike L's, "Whole Lotta Love" feels like it is enveloping you with the Classic 45...do you get a similar effect with your new copy?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Congrats Christian. At Mike L's, "Whole Lotta Love" feels like it is enveloping you with the Classic 45...do you get a similar effect with your new copy?

This brit mix surrounds you with John Paul jones lovely bass lines. The bass presence is even greater than the 45 rpm Classic Records mix. I think the 45 is a cleaner sound. I will do a direct comparison soon. I wanted to play it louder than 90dB, but my lady is upstairs sleeping. At proper listening level, she would be angry. This version begs to be turned up loud. It is quite a warmer presentation overall with different sounding micro details from time to time that add to the uniqueness that I haven't noticed on other versions.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is quite a warmer presentation overall with different sounding micro details from time to time that add to the uniqueness that I haven't noticed on other versions.

That's usually the biggest difference I find with many first pressings (and to a lesser extent promo's) - the micro details. I was quite surprised to find such a big difference between the standard pressings and the promo of the RLJ that I posted above, until I found out that some promo pressings in that era were pressed on better quality vinyl. There were also some other labels that used a different pressing plant for their promos.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Nick Lowe "Nick The Knife", F-Beat/Columbia, 1982

Nick Lowe's first post Rockpile release continues the Rockpile vibe and features former bandmates Billy Bremer and Terry Williams in addition to Steve Nieve of the Attractions and his wife at the time Carlene Carter (yes he was Johnny Cash's son-in-law!). Nothing groundbreaking musically; just a fun LP that is very well recorded.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
another Nick lowe fan here love his wordplay, its 'smart' music. the convincer, dig my mood and the impossible bird are out now on 180g wax - I love 'em all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing