how do I use the same surround sound speaker system for different devices?

centerline

Apr 12, 2021
Im new member, so hopefully im in the right place to ask this question.....

in our rv, we have a surround sound system connected to our dvd player for tv and movies.... the RV does not have a stereo system, but I want to add a small mechless stereo unit or other device to play our ipod music.... we have 3 or 4 speaker zones in the rv for the surround system.

the question is, what type of switching device do i need to connect the added stereo equipment into the existing speaker system without causing interference or back feeding of stereo speaker power to the dvd....

I will never have a need for both the stereo and the tv to be playing at the same time, so would a multi channel A-B speaker switch work... please make a suggestion, as I dont even begin to know where to look, or what to look at, or what options would be good to have, if there is such a thing as options on a speaker switch....

keep in mind that im not looking for high end stuff, but a step or two above entry level equipment... and if its a powered switching device, it needs to be 12v powered..... thank you

centerline

Apr 12, 2021
is this forum dead, or has no one tried to do what Im trying to do?......maybe someone could suggest where I should look for answers to my question......

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Hello,
Welcome!
Usually a surround sound system has a central component, usually a surround sound receiver, that acts as the control center and power source for the complete system. In all likelihood this component might have the ability to add another source (such as the stereo unit) as another switchable input. If so, you would want to make sure the stereo unit you choose has preamp level outputs to add (hopefully) to the surround sound system.
I hope this is helpful information, if you could provide more specific information about your present system then I could offer additional help.
Cheers!

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
is this forum dead, or has no one tried to do what Im trying to do?......maybe someone could suggest where I should look for answers to my question......
When I originally read your thread title I thought, "Hey I can help this guy 'cuz my system is set up in this way." Then I opened your thread and discovered that your question related to mobile 12v electronics... Mobile audio/video is really far removed from the high-end home audio focus of this site. You will need to reach out to mobile audio-specific forums for this kind of info. Carry on with your search. The info you seek is bound to be out there on a more appropriate/relevant forum.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing