How do you design and assess your system?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, and I'm 180 going down the other road to you. I relied on some tweaking in my old room to ameliorate it's harsh characteristics, to some limited success (Entreq and Mooks).

In the new room, tweaking has produced open ended benefits as the neutral acoustic has reduced audio clutter on an industrial scale. Now some tweaks that were outstanding are limited in positives (Entreq), some are downright negative (Mooks).

Others are wholly positive w no negatives (Sablon cbls and Westwick bpt/Oyaides lines/Furutechs duplexes/SR fuses power grid), some have transformed gear from being substandard to on top of their game (Stacore under tt/Revopods under Zus).

And I've been rigorous in assessing whether these are just euphonic enhancements or moves closer to the music. For me, the transformation in timbral accuracy is startling. I now listen to classical, jazz and vocals w new appreciation, a much greater feel for the realness of instruments and voice. Not a flashy uptick like explosive bass or scintillating treble, but a real immersion in the texture, tone and accuracy of music off disc being so much closer to the real thing.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'm done. I now just listen to music.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tao, Yes, our local Boston group does provide open and candid feedback. This does lead to some progress as others' opinions can be useful. However, my recent changes have left my audio buddies cold and I suspect they think I have taken some major steps in the wrong direction. One told me so directly, the others didn't offer much comment, but their lack of feedback and enthusiasm was revealing. Nevertheless, I continue in this new direction unperturbed.

The reliance on others' opinions can take one so far, but in the end, I am discovering that I am following my own directions now. I am throwing out much of what I have learned, and approaching my path from a different direction. Set up and a clearer vision are more important to me now than gear. Perhaps gear changes will follow at some point. I'm not yet ready to jump on the SET/Horn route, but I am shifting priorities, and feel I am making big gains. I am also unlearning past approaches that I thought were sacred.

People rarely mention epiphanies. I have had a couple recently which caused me to swerve off of the road. I have shared some of these events on my system thread. So far, there are no gear changes besides cables and power cords, if those are considered gear. I've removed things from the system and room. I am learning more about set up. The goal is not changing, I just have a clearer path forward than I used to have.
I think your recent road to Damascus moment is great if you now have more of a final destination or even just a temporary pause place before taking new direction. It’s not really just about the system or even about the music, it’s about us discovering parts of our true selves.

I’m never really quite sure whether it’s the chicken or the egg but I do tend to figure that we change so then the gear changes. Realisation brings transition to awareness but the change was already under way below the surface.

So in this sea of change my essential criteria for subjective assessment is based in rightness. I get this is even more of an abstract notion than say determining whether something is sounding natural and even more so than identifying that something is sounding almost real.

So not just in this pursuit but in most everything the first question I ask myself about a thing I’m assessing is what do I really like about this thing. This points me to the essential rightness of a thing. If the answer is everything then the review may have already done its job... and if everything doesn’t seem essentially right then the next question for me is then what isn’t working and holding this thing back from rightness (ie an element of wrongness, the thing that doesn’t yet fit the rightness). One for me is actually the negative cutout of the other. Shifting things over to rightness eventually brings it over to a oneness where nothing is left highlighted.

Once I have identified what is not yet right (there is no one single rightness by the way as this is a subjective route) I can then go through to a more specific and particular analytical breakdown (not quite the same thing an an emotional breakdown lol) and work through to resolve. Eventually I’ll sweep back to the holistic question is it right.

Like many of us who have been doing this great pursuit for much of our life while we often seem impatient the simple fact we’re still at it solving the riddle of the musical Sphinx speaks volumes of our determination (or of our utter daft punkness).

So you sound like you’ve reached a turning point on the road Peter and I am assuming it feels essentially right and you seem to be allowing the path to open and reveal itself more. That’s perfect. We’re obviously here partially finding ourselves in this journey... I just love the way it unfolds and opens in its own way for all of us.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Reactions: andromedaaudio

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It’s fascinating to me how we develop a sound system. The goals we set. The concept behind our systems. Our specific aims. How we benchmark our achievements. How we analyse what is happening in the system. What is the primary purpose of the system for you. How do you identify the potentials and constraints in the system and problem solve. What are the criteria of a system that you assess.

We are in the business of continuous improvement. We spend a fortune in time and in capital investment. Can we afford to just be accidental. Do you have a definable process. Are you primarily objective or subjective in your decision making and given the context of listening to music is there a 50/50 split between the objective and subjective or does one assessment form dominate the other for you. Can you define what you are you aiming for. How do you review how you are going? Is it important to be conscious of a system design concept and to also have a defined individual design philosophy to go for? How conscious are we and what process do we use to evaluate holistically and elementally what our systems are doing and why. Is music the essential purpose or is it the sound? Do you look for the best recording or the best performance. Can you tell when you are primarily listening to the sound or listening to the music. Can we separate these two deliverables or are they just inherently enmeshed. How do you assess your system in whole and in part? What is the final review for you? Is there an end point (destination) and how do you define that end point. I’d ask a few more questions but I think I’ve run out of question marks. Just intrigued about what is driving us all and where we are all heading.

Great thread. The foremost goal of my system was always liveliness, accompanied by a believability of tone. I guess liveliness is to some extent the sum of dynamics (micro- and macro) and of presence. The latter would be the idea of palpability of the performers in front of you, as well as immediacy where appropriate. So perhaps those goals could be summarized as dynamics, presence, tone, to use Jim Smith's vocabulary. In terms of tone, unamplified live music has always been a guiding reference that I could not have worked without, even though for other audiophiles this kind of reference seems to matter less.

To my taste, sins of omission are always better than sins of commission. A great sensitivity of mine is 'boxy' sound since that adds colorations alien to the music. Even if to me obvious box colorations are rare in a system set-up, I still find them disturbing and could not live with them (while others might not even notice these colorations). Apparent 'boxy' colorations could also be coloration due to speaker/room interaction, rather than just strict cabinet colorations. Larger speakers are more prone to both of those kinds of coloration than smaller ones, even though they can also be avoided in the case of large speakers, but at great expense in an appropriate sized room.

Shortly after I started again to pursue the upgrade path in 2013, an additional criterion has crystallized with the help of audiophile friends that I got to know via WBF. That criterion is resolution -- timbral micro resolution and separation of instruments. Yet the goal of timbral micro resolution is tied to believability of tone, so perhaps this additional criterion is just an extension of an older one.

So in summary, my criteria throughout my audiophile life have always been liveliness, tone and lack of 'boxy' coloration, with a more recent addition being resolution.

I have always been, and remain, convinced that up to a certain price point monitors (or better, monitor/sub combos) always win over floor standers when it comes to all the above criteria, at a price-for-price match that includes the necessary amplification -- unless the room is too large to be filled by the sound of monitors. Only in the very expensive range of high end equipment I would prefer floor standers. However, then not just any floor standers, but large speakers with inert cabinets (I'll get to the reasons why), which unfortunately cost lots of money. Yet then in order to accommodate these, I would have to have a much larger room, especially in terms of width (while my room is 24 feet long, it is only 12 feet wide, with some extension at a small window bay). Apart from the expense of the large speakers that I would want, the even greater expense of buying a larger house, living in an area (Northshore of Greater Boston) where real estate is extremely pricey, is not a realistic option for me. The size of my room is already very special within the price range of houses like mine in this area.

Considerations like these have led me to always build my system around monitors, and from 2000 onward, monitor/subwoofer combos. My three monitors over 30 years have been Ensemble Reference > Reference 3A MM De Capo BE > Reference 3A Reflector. Subwoofers have been REL Storm III > dual JL Audio F112v2 (for full system details, see my signature).

That is my audiophile journey thus far, now I need to explain why I think I'm basically done as I said in my previous post, certainly in terms of gear upgrades.

My most recent system excels in reproduction of music of all kinds, classical chamber, piano, jazz, rock, electronica etc., and all this with very high resolution. It even has great mid-bass punch now, largely avoiding the mid-bass 'hole' that many monitor/subwoofer combos suffer from (including previous set-ups of mine). What on some recordings it may lack in the last bit of punch in that area it more than makes up for in terms of bass precision and cleanness (again, when it comes to my own system, I cannot stand to me obvious colorations, also in this area of reproduction).

The system also excels at reproduction of orchestral music in terms of separation of instruments, and it has good believability of tone and projects a rather large soundstage (as large as the room probably allows; in this room I don't see a clear advantage of larger speakers). The system also scales well: while small scale sounds appropriately small and intimate, large scale sounds much bigger. Not all systems do this.

Yet orchestral music is its achilles heel as well, in the sense that, while weight and body of orchestral sound can be quite good, the system cannot reproduce the full measure of it (there is also less than ideal weight on some non-orchestral material, but to me here the deficit is most substantial). For example, while my system can reproduce solo trombone and solo tuba quite well, it just cannot reproduce the full weight and definition of orchestral massed low brass, or that of an orchestral string section.

This is the domain of high quality large speakers with inert cabinets, such as for example Magico M Project speakers. In a well set up system with speakers like these, the massed low brass sound has not just tremendous weight, but also enormous palpable definition, to a point where it makes me think of a concert hall experience; it can be stunning. In comparison, orchestral low brass does not just sound lighter in my system, but also more diffuse. It is not just my system with monitor/sub combo; I have not heard such brass sound from more regular floor standers either, certainly not in that palpable definition.

So this kind of weight and definition of orchestral sound is what I would look for in a truly significant, meaningful upgrade. Yet speakers like these, which can not just do that, but preserve, or even enhance, all the things that high resolution monitors like mine are good at, are extraordinarily expensive and like all large speakers require a much larger room than mine to fully unfold their potential and avoid problems. This is out of my reach.

Sure, I could get more weight than I have for much less money, but not that weight with great definition of sound that gives you that live illusion, and with still the ability to portray all the finesse, nuance and timbral micro resolution of a string quartet, for example, something that my high resolution monitors are so good at as well.

I could spend upwards of $ 50 K on my system and still be stuck with only incremental improvements, or with gains in some areas, but losses and compromises in others compared to what I already have. I am not interested in that.

What I have right now is a terrific system that has many great strengths and a few weaknesses. To address those weaknesses in a substantial -- not incremental -- manner and without compromising on the strengths is beyond my reach.

That is why I'm done. I am just not interested in spending another $ 20, 30 or 50 K for what I consider incremental improvements, which still do not achieve that meaningful jump in performance that I would be looking for and that only large speakers of extreme quality in a considerably larger room than mine can deliver (and no, I am not interested for my system in regular 'full range' floor standers, even though I greatly enjoy them in other systems).

The system that I have presents music in a terrific, to me highly engaging, and holistically satisfying manner. This is all I need and will continue to enjoy.

Reactions: Lagonda and ack

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Great thread. The foremost goal of my system was always liveliness, accompanied by a believability of tone. I guess liveliness is to some extent the sum of dynamics (micro- and macro) and of presence. The latter would be the idea of palpability of the performers in front of you, as well as immediacy where appropriate. So perhaps those goals could be summarized as dynamics, presence, tone, to use Jim Smith's vocabulary. In terms of tone, unamplified live music has always been a guiding reference that I could not have worked without, even though for other audiophiles this kind of reference seems to matter less.

To my taste, sins of omission are always better than sins of commission. A great sensitivity of mine is 'boxy' sound since that adds colorations alien to the music. Even if to me obvious box colorations are rare in a system set-up, I still find them disturbing and could not live with them (while others might not even notice these colorations). Apparent 'boxy' colorations could also be coloration due to speaker/room interaction, rather than just strict cabinet colorations. Larger speakers are more prone to both of those kinds of coloration than smaller ones, even though they can also be avoided in the case of large speakers, but at great expense in an appropriate sized room.

Shortly after I started again to pursue the upgrade path in 2013, an additional criterion has crystallized with the help of audiophile friends that I got to know via WBF. That criterion is resolution -- timbral micro resolution and separation of instruments. Yet the goal of timbral micro resolution is tied to believability of tone, so perhaps this additional criterion is just an extension of an older one.

So in summary, my criteria throughout my audiophile life have always been liveliness, tone and lack of 'boxy' coloration, with a more recent addition being resolution.

I have always been, and remain, convinced that up to a certain price point monitors (or better, monitor/sub combos) always win over floor standers when it comes to all the above criteria, at a price-for-price match that includes the necessary amplification -- unless the room is too large to be filled by the sound of monitors. Only in the very expensive range of high end equipment I would prefer floor standers. However, then not just any floor standers, but large speakers with inert cabinets (I'll get to the reasons why), which unfortunately cost lots of money. Yet then in order to accommodate these, I would have to have a much larger room, especially in terms of width (while my room is 24 feet long, it is only 12 feet wide, with some extension at a small window bay). Apart from the expense of the large speakers that I would want, the even greater expense of buying a larger house, living in an area (Northshore of Greater Boston) where real estate is extremely pricey, is not a realistic option for me. The size of my room is already very special within the price range of houses like mine in this area.

Considerations like these have led me to always build my system around monitors, and from 2000 onward, monitor/subwoofer combos. My three monitors over 30 years have been Ensemble Reference > Reference 3A MM De Capo BE > Reference 3A Reflector. Subwoofers have been REL Storm III > dual JL Audio F112v2 (for full system details, see my signature).

That is my audiophile journey thus far, now I need to explain why I think I'm basically done as I said in my previous post, certainly in terms of gear upgrades.

My most recent system excels in reproduction of music of all kinds, classical chamber, piano, jazz, rock, electronica etc., and all this with very high resolution. It even has great mid-bass punch now, largely avoiding the mid-bass 'hole' that many monitor/subwoofer combos suffer from (including previous set-ups of mine). What on some recordings it may lack in the last bit of punch in that area it more than makes up for in terms of bass precision and cleanness (again, when it comes to my own system, I cannot stand to me obvious colorations, also in this area of reproduction).

The system also excels at reproduction of orchestral music in terms of separation of instruments, and it has good believability of tone and projects a rather large soundstage (as large as the room probably allows; in this room I don't see a clear advantage of larger speakers). The system also scales well: while small scale sounds appropriately small and intimate, large scale sounds much bigger. Not all systems do this.

Yet orchestral music is its achilles heel as well, in the sense that, while weight and body of orchestral sound can be quite good, the system cannot reproduce the full measure of it (there is also less than ideal weight on some non-orchestral material, but to me here the deficit is most substantial). For example, while my system can reproduce solo trombone and solo tuba quite well, it just cannot reproduce the full weight and definition of orchestral massed low brass, or that of an orchestral string section.

This is the domain of high quality large speakers with inert cabinets, such as for example Magico M Project speakers.

What I have right now is a terrific system that has many great strengths and a few weaknesses. To address those weaknesses in a substantial -- not incremental -- manner and without compromising on the strengths is beyond my reach.

That is why I'm done. I am just not interested in spending another $ 20, 30 or 50 K for what I consider incremental improvements, which still do not achieve that meaningful jump in performance that I would be looking for and that only large speakers of extreme quality in a considerably larger room than mine can deliver (and no, I am not interested for my system in regular 'full range' floor standers, even though I greatly enjoy them in other systems).

The system that I have presents music in a terrific, to me highly engaging, and holistically satisfying manner. This is all I need and will continue to enjoy.
Really great that you have come to a place that you are very essentially happy and comfortably resolved in Al. We put in long hours and a crazy Herculean effort and to arrive at some realisation point and derive insufficient reward would be devastating.

I asked a stream of questions (without really asking why I was asking as much) because I believe I have also come to a summative point as either potential destination or pause place. I have for the last longer while stopped consciously seeking and am just allowing old traits and habits to play out but I have stepped into a seemingly lasting place of where it really is all (and only) about the music (again).

The value of verve and aliveness has also been central to my search here as well. I think I always sought that as a quality of experience after early exposure to live (= more alive) music. It is also very much one of the prime qualities I have gone for in avoiding the feeling of deadness that being aware of the box can sometimes bury you in.

It was with the Maggie 20.7s that I really hit that mark in first. The OB horns also then have again managed this feat.

The alive moments of realness also relate strongly for me as well where the music leaps out of the box and the sensation takes your attention away from any awareness of the mechanism of the system. The suspension of awareness of the process can free us from the issue of the box or the overt boundaries between us and compelling believability.

I remember the first time I had that I was walking upstairs into the room I had the maggie 20.7s playing in and the album was a live jazz album and suddenly walking up towards the room it felt all the world (recall) just like when you move in towards a nightclub or theatre and that tipping anticipation point of turning into the space at the very door and moving into the venue and the threshold of the music taking over from any other awareness becomes imminence and then complete experience.

It is an essential point of transition into connection.

The extra step up into the super box league is one I also hesitate to take. I wonder if I had any more aliveness or believability or scale would it then buy me any more meaning. I’m sure it would bring a whole other layer of sensation but not sure I could manage that without being consumed. Honestly I’m unsure myself. I wonder if I stepped through another doorway where the physicality of the sound arrested me any more I might not come back out from more sensation. That resonance with the great deep sounds also could be an issue with me and subsonic boundaries as well, both physical as in it brings Tinnitus for me which I can happily avoid with staying at a mid 20hz lower threshold and keeping the db to less than live levels, and also psychological because I have to be able to scale back from the addiction to being utterly in another experience than the one which is aligned with my current physical reality.

When do we arrive in this journey? I love that compelling connection to the music seems to be the origination and initiation and also the cyclic transition to exit strategy here.

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
@Tao Nice topic.

Q. Can we afford to just be accidental?
A
. Do you mean haphazard? If so, then for some-to-many I suspect the answer is yes.

Q. Do you have a definable process?
A
. Yes. Basically it’s establishing a superior foundation for which the playback system resides and for which every part of the playback vineyard is greatly impacted by the final assembly. This foundation consists of managing electrical and mechanical energies, especially their unwanted energies. It’s well known that both electrical and mechanical energies are basic requirements but what’s not well known is the absolutely crippling distortions induced when these same two energies are poorly managed. Every playback system already consists of variations of this exact same foundation whether inferior or superior, but the quality thereof determines the real performance potential of everything placed on it. Just as I would expect in other industries.

Definable in that since the catastrophic results these unwanted energies induce is entirely predictable, when sufficiently addressed the performance results are also mostly if not entirely predictable. Since the sonic benefits of establishing a superior foundation far outweigh any other performance-oriented strategy I’m aware of, my process also greatly simplifies my tasks and areas of focus. Especially since this focus also takes much of high-end audio’s unknowns and guesswork out of the process. That’s pretty much it. After this, I suppose my next definable process is striving to find THE optimal speaker placement.

Q. Is it important to be conscious of a system design concept and to also have a defined individual design philosophy to go for?
A
. Conscious of what might be a better question. I think it more important to have already developed an awareness of those parts of the playback vineyard that induce the most severe distortions crippling our playback systems i.e. the cause. Without such an awareness, I’d be shootin’ in the dark. My experience tells me far and away the most crippling distortions are found within the foundation. So I start with universal distortions plaguing all playback systems and then drill down toward a a system’s specific shortcomings. A well-defined system design concept should come more naturally having this awareness.

Here’s where I also have to think a bit outside the box (greater awareness) since every component, speaker, playback system, and room is different. Effect follows cause and form follows function, right? For example. For max gains, I need to know some things about each component like where circuit boards, tubes, power supplies, motors, etc are mounted to a given chassis. The best way for me to find that out is to open every component chassis before mounting to my rack.

While the lid is open I’ll check every type of fastener and joinery I find internally and externally to ensure they’re secured or fastened at least taut if not tight which is just another part of my process. I’ve been surprised more than once by what I found when performing this exercise so here I have opportunity to possibly correct some assembly shortcomings or even return the product – another part of my process. For my overall process to succeed, even a simple factory assembly shortcoming can be a potential performance death nell for that product. And while I’ve got the lid off, I may as well replace the stock fuse with an aftermarket cryo-treated fuse and maybe even install a cryo-treated IEC inlet because I never intend to open the chassis again once it’s mounted – another part of my process. But these early stage parts of the process is where I also begin strategizing my system design concept as I become more familiar with each component.

Almost forgot a few other stages of my overall process.
  • Having already mentioned how long some of my alterations can take to reach full maturity, before I put anything in place I carefully consider aesthetics, symmetry, etc, and then measure exactly where things ought to be placed to form some type of aesthetically pleasing symmetry without compromising performance. Here I’m thinking long term implications like years down the road.
  • I mentally track my playback system’s inventory of upgrades, alterations, and results. For example. My racking system hasn’t budged since October, 2011. My amps not since May, 2014. My line conditioners not since June, 2017. Last upgrade purchase was July, 2017 and last mods were 2 and 1 weeks ago (resulting in 4 very surprisingly musical gains). I also track the estimated number of gains for the entire system as well as for each component. For example. Total estimated performance gains this system thus far over 450 (extreme forms of mechanical energy management result in potentially hundreds of mostly little but still distinct improvements over periods of time). This mental inventory helps me determine the stability of my system regarding future alterations. Ain’t no fun if I can’t tell what’s doing what.
  • Deciding whether to move forward with a given alteration. For example. If I alter something here, will it force me to alter something or compromise performance over there.
  • There’s real beauty and performance in simplicity. There’s good reason why we never see a top fuel dragster haulin’ ass down the ¼ mile strip with a U-Haul trailer behind it. Since more distortions are induced with every additional connection and hardware object, part of my overall process is to keep my 2-component 2.1-channel system as simple as possible. But no simpler. :cool:
  • Based on what I do to establish my foundation, I research components before purchase, study the innards, materials used, and construction, reading between the lines of product descriptions and reviews, etc. I also try to determine if the designer has overstepped their boundaries by their attempting to specifically address electrical or mechanical energy issues at the component. What many may not be aware of is some designer installs a cheap $5 AC filter behind the IEC inlet and for those who do nothing toward managing their AC, the cheap filter just might give a musical edge over other components. But if one is employing superior line conditioners or other means to purify noisy AC, that $5 filter can actually make the component sound worse, rather than better as it has something to do with daisy-chaining differing methods of AC filtering. Designers are known to do likewise with vibration mgmt. techniques. Anyway, since designers usually choose inferior or cheap methods I try to steer clear of such components as they probably already have potential performance-limiting governors installed to compromise my own efforts.
This pretty much covers the earlier stages of my overall process. All this may seem a bit anal but I really am trying to perform due diligence at these earlier stages as they all relate to performance. Besides, after the foundation is laid, if I need to come back later due to some major oversight, I’ve got a bit of a nightmare timewise down the road if I must re-establish any part of the foundation. Foundations ought not be moved.

Q. How conscious are we and what process do we use to evaluate holistically and elementally what our systems are doing and why?
A
. Since I already know what I’m after, I try to remain alert that I stay within certain basic principles. Sometimes a high state of awareness or focus is required since ultimately, we don’t always know exactly how or why some parts impact other parts so careful consideration must be given, especially to less familiar sectors. Occasionally, a component will not respond to my endeavors. First time that happened I sold it thinking it was a dud. The other time I unmounted it, re-evaluated things a bit, remounted in a more strategic and more extreme way and its performance soared unlike any other prior to and changed my methods forever. Which leads me to think the other component I sold was not a dud after all.

As for overlooking areas less familiar. I consider myself a bit of an armchair expert regarding vibration mgmt (don’t we all?) yet, for 14 years I completely overlooked various models of passive line conditioners as they sat on my carpet. Eventually I started contemplating that I should at least try mounting the LC’s to my rack like I do my other components just to see what might happen. The LC’s are passive and actually have very few internal components so common sense told me it wasn’t worth the effort. But eventually I tried it by assembling a makeshift mini-racking system out of spare parts that mimicked my flagship racking system at least in philosophy and methodology and was very surprised at the results having observed over 70 little but distinct improvements. Then I tried mounting them to the main racking system using a far more extreme method resulting in more than 3 x’s the number of previous improvements attained.

This little experiment turned out to be my single greatest collection of performance gains thus far even surpassing the improvements from my amps. I can say with confidence that my 3 little passive line conditioners now provide maybe 3 or even 4 times the level of musicality of their already excellent out-of-the-box performance levels. So now as part of my process I’m more convinced than ever unwanted resonant energy adversely impacts potentially all aspects of electrical current path flows. Or perhaps it’s more accurate to say that electrical current flow will induce unwanted resonant energy which much be addressed. Whichever the case, it’s a whole nuther rabbit hole but still part of my overall process. IOW, I always have to be aware of a few fundamentals of energy behaviors and whether I can perform better due diligence here or if perhaps I’ve overlooked that sector over there.

(it seems I exceeded max char count)

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The thing with listening to other people's systems is the uber ones almost always are the result of massive effort on the individual's parts. The small ones surprise you, it is low budget gear matching to make a nice compromise. And then there is the between.
On reflection this is where the surprises come. With megalithic systems the expectation is high. But then someone brings together a modest system and there is just music and connection. How right can right ultimately be. Can right just be enough.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Graham, I've got the chance to visit a system that's as close to mega as I'm gonna get to hear in the UK (big Wilson Benesch spkrs, totl Audionet amps, Lampi GG, in by all accounts an excellent room, fully optimised w excellent cbls, pwr, vibn isoln).

One, it'll be an excellent data point for compare to my sound.

Two, it'll hopefully be mega in it's own right. I'll naturally be more critical in my opinion than I would for a system w less lofty spending and statement of intent.

The only other system that I've heard which fits the uber category was Kuzma XL4, Kondo, Spectral, Apogee Divas, in a room 2die4.

This was really up there, but a systemic colouration spoilt the illusion, and in a lesser setup I wouldn't have been so critical. But in a take no prisoners rig (all batteries/inverters to system had it's own room and a/c), my down verdict was much harsher.

Don't spend hundreds of thousands to reach for the moon only to land in the North Sea.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Graham, I've got the chance to visit a system that's as close to mega as I'm gonna get (big Wilson Benesch spkrs, totl Audionet amps, Lampi GG, in by all accounts an excellent room, fully optimised w excellent cbls, pwr, vibn isoln).

One, it'll be an excellent data point for compare to my sound.

Two, it'll hopefully be mega in it's own right. I'll naturally be more critical in my opinion than I would for a system w less lofty spending and statement of intent.
Data points are awesome. Sometimes though they show us mostly were we have to build further. Rightness for me comes from the middle and is achievable in simple (and musically fulfilling ways). Megalithic extends that rightness to the boundaries. If you are just mortal in means then rightness is achievable in the modest. It’s when you are chasing the really extended rightness that the craziness/cost clearly sets in. It’s better (and more efficient) to find happiness where you already are. I do love the madness of all our journeys.

But Marc you are a tube dude through and through so don’t go suddenly falling for the easy sonic seduction of a shiny and sharp ss. Stay true to your valvey ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Graham, I'm newly energised on my sound. Back in the day, not even more than 5 yrs ago, people hearing my system gave me that shrugged shoulders verdict.

Blue58, Ked, Ron etc. One guy pleaded w me to rip out my grid and start again (leading to move to balanced pwr).

Compounded by visits to others that showed how far behind the curve I really was. But also interspersed w visits to systems that really paled to mine (SS on ceramic mids and diamond tweeters and AD-DA vinyl...no thanks).

Then of course my move, the new room aka the blank canvas/audio microscope/lab of dreams.

And the wholescale dragging up of my sound that many visitors who hated my sound in London really feel I've pulled things around. And my honest feelings that there are only two systems I've visited in the last dozen that properly speak to me and could be described as superior...but not decisively, and even they have characters I don't hear at home, and wouldn't really welcome.

For me, this is such progess. Hearing Blue58's sound 5 years ago created such angst and insecurity in where I was then. Hearing it now, w all the changes he's made for the better, and I arrive home w no desire to chuck out the baby or the bathwater.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Data points are awesome. Sometimes though they show us mostly were we have to build further. Rightness for me comes from the middle and is achievable in simple (and musically fulfilling ways). Megalithic extends that rightness to the boundaries. If you are just mortal in means then rightness is achievable in the modest. It’s when you are chasing the really extended rightness that the craziness/cost clearly sets in. It’s better (and more efficient) to find happiness where you already are. I do love the madness of all our journeys.

But Marc you are a tube dude through and through so don’t go suddenly falling for the easy sonic seduction of a shiny and sharp ss. Stay true to your valvey ways.

I have been on a single (ended?) minded quest that once I went to SET and heard the rightness of it, I never looked back in longing for other topologies. The same now is true for horns, once I finally heard ones that were transparent enough and lacking significant coloration to put away my planars for good. That said, I think a big electrostatic panel (yes, driven by SET) can get some uncanny realism, particularly with tone and spaciousness. But the one thing that kept me searching was dynamics that I experienced live. My compass has always been towards live and using that compass to set my reproduction chain pathway. I now have one completed system that is unlikely to change (Odeons and Aries Cerat) and I keep my hobbyism alive with my "experimental system", which is still horns and low powered tubes (but SEP and a small Class A triode PP) and tube DACs (at least on the tweeter horn).

I started this journey like many with cone/dome box speakers (also some I designed and built myself) and SS amps...then PP tube amps, then hybrid amps and planars, then SET Planars (also some self-designed ones that were darn good) and now SET/horn. That has been the arc of progress and the goal was always to strive to match the reference of live and good live recordings as a proxy.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Graham, I'm newly energised on my sound. Back in the day, not even more than 5 yrs ago, people hearing my system gave me that shrugged shoulders verdict.

Blue58, Ked, Ron etc. One guy pleaded w me to rip out my grid and start again (leading to move to balanced pwr).

Compounded by visits to others that showed how far behind the curve I really was. But also interspersed w visits to systems that really paled to mine (SS on ceramic mids and diamond tweeters and AD-DA vinyl...no thanks).

Then of course my move, the new room aka the blank canvas/audio microscope/lab of dreams.

And the wholescale dragging up of my sound that many visitors who hated my sound in London really feel I've pulled things around. And my honest feelings that there are only two systems I've visited in the last dozen that properly speak to me and could be described as superior...but not decisively, and even they have characters I don't hear at home, and wouldn't really welcome.

For me, this is such progess. Hearing Blue58's sound 5 years ago created such angst and insecurity in where I was then. Hearing it now, w all the changes he's made for the better, and I arrive home w no desire to chuck out the baby or the bathwater.
I have been on a single (ended?) minded quest that once I went to SET and heard the rightness of it, I never looked back in longing for other topologies. The same now is true for horns, once I finally heard ones that were transparent enough and lacking significant coloration to put away my planars for good. That said, I think a big electrostatic panel (yes, driven by SET) can get some uncanny realism, particularly with tone and spaciousness. But the one thing that kept me searching was dynamics that I experienced live. My compass has always been towards live and using that compass to set my reproduction chain pathway. I now have one completed system that is unlikely to change (Odeons and Aries Cerat) and I keep my hobbyism alive with my "experimental system", which is still horns and low powered tubes (but SEP and a small Class A triode PP) and tube DACs (at least on the tweeter horn).

I started this journey like many with cone/dome box speakers (also some I designed and built myself) and SS amps...then PP tube amps, then hybrid amps and planars, then SET Planars (also some self-designed ones that were darn good) and now SET/horn. That has been the arc of progress and the goal was always to strive to match the reference of live and good live recordings as a proxy.
It’s really great to see more and more lately seemingly get to where they want to be. Maybe this is the great flowering before the hobby finally passes into the very great extinction.

I remember all the ah hah moments when going to visit someone with a very different system and realising just how far off the mark I had been in some specific area of the sound. Then I’d use that as a benchmark to develop a specific criteria with my own system without losing the things I valued in my setup at that point. But the big turning point for me was cultural. To visit a mate and realise all I had been focusing on in terms of chasing specific elements of sound was distracting me from just kicking back with the journey and spending more time just enjoying what other people were doing and letting go of the internal focus or giving myself aims all the time.

I’m sure that because after the stupid amount of (read enjoyable) time I had put into getting the system more right made it possible to more and more let go and just be happier about the music. But behaviour can be addictive and recognising I had kinda got to where I wanted to be and letting go of the what if’s to a large degree takes some time and acclimatisation.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Graham, I put my formula down to 50% luck, 50% bloody mindedness.

Luck being the new room. Well, if this hadn't have happened, I'd prob be rapturously extolling some horns w caveat that they would still be impacted negatively by my old acoustic.

Bloody mindedness being sticking w Zu when I know full well how many alternatives I could have gone for that tick more audiophile boxes.

The budget for new spkrs gone, having been blown on the room, and the die cast w Zu/triodes being my transducer chain of choice, then the final phase began of making it all work better than before.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
In yr case Graham, you had more focussed aims and expectations. Me? I've never gone into a career or relationship knowing what the precise outcome should be, what to prioritise, how to reasonably get results. I've always winged it, part logic, part faith, w some confidence in myself, but a whole lot more "make it up as I go along" British flying by the seat of my pants.

Reflected in my system building...currently on 3rd all-new system since 1997, systems 2 and 3 hugely modded/optimised (so, 5 systems in effect).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It’s really great to see more and more lately seemingly get to where they want to be. Maybe this is the great flowering before the hobby finally passes into the very great extinction.

I remember all the ah hah moments when going to visit someone with a very different system and realising just how far off the mark I had been in some specific area of the sound. Then I’d use that as a benchmark to develop a specific criteria with my own system without losing the things I valued in my setup at that point. But the big turning point for me was cultural. To visit a mate and realise all I had been focusing on in terms of chasing specific elements of sound was distracting me from just kicking back with the journey and spending more time just enjoying what other people were doing and letting go of the internal focus or giving myself aims all the time.

I’m sure that because after the stupid amount of (read enjoyable) time I had put into getting the system more right made it possible to more and more let go and just be happier about the music. But behaviour can be addictive and recognising I had kinda got to where I wanted to be and letting go of the what if’s to a large degree takes some time and acclimatisation.

My Ah ha moments:

Klipsch La Scalas at party levels sounding so clean and clear...and other PA systems sounding so muddy at the same levels.
First time hearing full range electrostats (Audiostatics) and hearing STAX electrostatic speakers with a big tube amp
Hearing Odeon 32s with all Einstein tube gear (their OTLs not hybrids)...reawakened me to what I was missing with big planars and evoked memories of my first AH HA moment.
First time hearing top notch SETs with high sensitivity speakers. SETs on electrostats also was a mini-ahha moment.

Hearing elements of the real thing in hifi for the first time got me thinking about how reproduction SHOULD sound (IMHO). Before that, I was just playing around with what sounded good or what I thought sounded good at that time.

As a reviewer, one that really shocked me was when I reviewed the KR Audio Kronzilla DM monos and played them on my very natural sounding Acoustat Spectra 2200s. At that time I had a very nice Sphinx Project 14 hybrid driven by the also very nice Silvaweld SWC1000 preamp (from Mr. Park of Allnic fame). The KRs ate my Sphinx for breakfast in just about everything...including dynamics. What a revealation! Since then, with only a few curiousity detours, I have been a SET man.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Graham, I put my formula down to 50% luck, 50% bloody mindedness.

Luck being the new room. Well, if this hadn't have happened, I'd prob be rapturously extolling some horns w caveat that they would still be impacted negatively by my old acoustic.

Bloody mindedness being sticking w Zu when I know full well how many alternatives I could have gone for that tick more audiophile boxes.

The budget for new spkrs gone, having been blown on the room, and the die cast w Zu/triodes being my transducer chain of choice, then the final phase began of making it all work better than before.
Marc is there more to it than just the new room... does also leaving behind the city and moving into the chapel set a sense of removal from stresses and adds to the quality of enjoying music in a retreat also change the experience of music for you.

My shift from the city out to the lake back at the start of the millennium (my big millennial break) brought me into another zone and a very different pace of life from a beachside city suburb that made listening to music quite different and much more quietly involved in some ways. The fact that I had a listening room overlooking a landscape all the way to the horizon of forest and mountain ranges and island across the largest coastal lake in Australia (over 100 square kms of surface area) meant that every listening session had a background of grand natural scenic beauty and that we only had a few neighbours meant my personal boundary was always more completely at ease.

Though I needed to be re-socialised again when moving to a much more civilised/occupied side of the lake last year. But perhaps having tranquil surrounds like countryside or a lake adds another layer to relaxing and enjoying into the music... just all a bit more imax. There are a few here that have great connections to large landscapes and the countryside and it definitely creates a wonderful zone for music.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My Ah ha moments:

Klipsch La Scalas at party levels sounding so clean and clear...and other PA systems sounding so muddy at the same levels.
First time hearing full range electrostats (Audiostatics) and hearing STAX electrostatic speakers with a big tube amp
Hearing Odeon 32s with all Einstein tube gear (their OTLs not hybrids)...reawakened me to what I was missing with big planars and evoked memories of my first AH HA moment.
First time hearing top notch SETs with high sensitivity speakers. SETs on electrostats also was a mini-ahha moment.

Hearing elements of the real thing in hifi for the first time got me thinking about how reproduction SHOULD sound (IMHO). Before that, I was just playing around with what sounded good or what I thought sounded good at that time.

As a reviewer, one that really shocked me was when I reviewed the KR Audio Kronzilla DM monos and played them on my very natural sounding Acoustat Spectra 2200s. At that time I had a very nice Sphinx Project 14 hybrid driven by the also very nice Silvaweld SWC1000 preamp (from Mr. Park of Allnic fame). The KRs ate my Sphinx for breakfast in just about everything...including dynamics. What a revealation! Since then, with only a few curiousity detours, I have been a SET man.
Nice pathway Brad, just a bit concerned about the KRs eating your Sphinx for breakfast lol but I completely get that journey. Having lived with a range of valve and SS the SETs have become my lasting happy place... and that presents the challenge for me with staying with the Maggie 20.7s as well. Maybe a lampi upfront with some 242s for them so I can tune in some DHT love.

Though I am just happy with horns and the Harbeths so I’d just be tinkering as a means of audio problem solving. Quite sure I really don’t have time (till I stop working (as in work and not as in dying)) for anything more than two systems really and perhaps not even then... and it’s hard to really justify not using them all properly.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing