How much does it bother you to see people arguing on the forum. Analogists and digitalists and subcategories.

This applies as well: “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

As we all know, this was said by Hamlet when Horatio told him that only low-power SETS and horns would suffice and that vinyl was always better than digital. Who are we mere mortals to argue with Hamlet?

Yeah, and Hamlet' didn't listen and his system is known to be the biggest tragedy ever. Everyone who enters that room dies.

Yeah, and Hamlet' didn't listen and his system is known to be the biggest tragedy ever. Everyone who enters that room dies.
It was a tragedy, but not because he listened to digital long before it became fashionable. And take note: The play isn't called Horatio, Vinyl Lover!

Quick Poll.

Which of these titles of Shakespeare's plays (not the plot) best fits your impression of this thread?

Love’s Labour’s Lost
The Comedy of Errors
The Taming of the Shrew
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Much Ado About Nothing
Not on the list: Titus Andronicus

Quick Poll.

Which of these titles of Shakespeare's plays (not the plot) best fits your impression of this thread?

Love’s Labour’s Lost
The Comedy of Errors
The Taming of the Shrew
Much Ado About Nothing
Sadly Love's Labour's Lost although I can see all of the play titles applying!

I read the whole thread and I think there were some thoughtful observations and a few chuckles. As already pointed out it was ironic that it essentially disintegrated into the all to prevalent sniping.

A little shit disturbing and passionate dissension is entertaining and probably even good but it often gets carried away and saying the same thing over and over again more forcefully ultimately becomes boring, and the point if there was one becomes lost.

Reactions: PYP
As already pointed out it was ironic that it essentially disintegrated into the all to prevalent sniping.

It takes only one shit stirrer and a thread disintegrates.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
Great to know your server costs is paying dividends to your joyous journey. To me it seems you are confusing musical exploration, highs fidelity, and high expense digital sound. I suggest exploring the vinyl route to combine all three before your next upgrade
I’m not confused and am not even a little bit interested in listening to music via vinyl, but thanks for the suggestion. And I hope you continue to enjoy listening to your soundbar. We choose our own paths!

• Haha
Reactions: dbeau
I’m not confused and am not even a little bit interested in listening to music via vinyl, but thanks for the suggestion. And I hope you continue to enjoy listening to your soundbar. We choose our own paths!

A soundbar is amazing ;).

May I ask why you are not interested in vinyl? Not that you necessarily should be, just curious.

i had an amazing vinyl afternoon; a big "Atmospheric River" is bringing heavy rain.....perfect listening weather. in June everything is so lush and alive.

a couple large orchestral, a few string quartets, some small combo jazz, live blues.....with breaks on my barn back porch watching the rain and enjoying the fresh air.

tonight back to some digital....exploring samba, salsa and bossa nova....i'll sleep good tonight.

Quick Poll.

Love’s Labour’s Lost
The Comedy of Errors
The Taming of the Shrew
Much Ado About Nothing
Shakespeare knew how to tweak a system:

Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing.
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the tweak is firm and good.

When applied to cables, you will marvel at the added soundstage, resolution and musicality. Given wool of bat is hard to find these days, expect the retail price to be 50 times the donor cable.

To the OP:

It bothers me because many good and informative discussions run the risk of being shut because of silly arguments.

I left another forum site (which I was a member there since 2009) because of constant bickering amongst members. It got to a point where any mention of price of an item bought usually triggered a heated discussion on why the person spent so much of his own money? The bulk of the gear which was discussed was mainly used "vintage" stuff and either came from online auction sites, garage sales, thrift stores, or the curb. There seemed to always be some form of pissing match for really stupid reasons and there was even a special section in the forums where people discussed gear openly but were not allowed to question why someone spent what they did and not allowed to claim "snake oil".

I own all kinds of gear; old, vintage, contemporary, to new and expensive (at least to me, it is. Then again, it's my money).
I like both analog and digital and prefer to pick the better sounding medium from the two, given the choice, and yet I own both the digital and analog versions.

I came here because it seemed like a place where members conducted themselves with respect towards each other, didn't mind what equipment they owned, and actually carried on with civilized dialog. Most importantly, I came here because it looked like the kind of place where nobody asks why you spent $$$$ on an amp.

I don't see many (if any) jealous or envious people in here. It's quite refreshing, actually. As for excessive bickering, yes, there is the odd spat every now and then, but I would say it's quite civil as compared to "the other place".

Cheers!

To the OP:

It bothers me because many good and informative discussions run the risk of being shut because of silly arguments.

I left another forum site (which I was a member there since 2009) because of constant bickering amongst members. It got to a point where any mention of price of an item bought usually triggered a heated discussion on why the person spent so much of his own money? The bulk of the gear which was discussed was mainly used "vintage" stuff and either came from online auction sites, garage sales, thrift stores, or the curb. There seemed to always be some form of pissing match for really stupid reasons and there was even a special section in the forums where people discussed gear openly but were not allowed to question why someone spent what they did and not allowed to claim "snake oil".

I own all kinds of gear; old, vintage, contemporary, to new and expensive (at least to me, it is. Then again, it's my money).
I like both analog and digital and prefer to pick the better sounding medium from the two, given the choice, and yet I own both the digital and analog versions.

I came here because it seemed like a place where members conducted themselves with respect towards each other, didn't mind what equipment they owned, and actually carried on with civilized dialog. Most importantly, I came here because it looked like the kind of place where nobody asks why you spent $$$$ on an amp.

I don't see many (if any) jealous or envious people in here. It's quite refreshing, actually. As for excessive bickering, yes, there is the odd spat every now and then, but I would say it's quite civil as compared to "the other place".

Cheers!

Thank you for your refreshing perspective!

Reactions: the sound of Tao
A soundbar is amazing ;).

May I ask why you are not interested in vinyl? Not that you necessarily should be, just curious.
It’s pretty simple for me.

— I’m happy with how my digital setup sounds on good recordings. And it keeps getting better.

— Giving up the fantastic access to music available through streaming would feel stifling to me. And hunting down good records is not a sub hobby I want draining time from music listening (among other things!)

I’m sure a vinyl centric approach can be deeply satisfying.

Reactions: Al M.
It amuses me that this thread; "How much does it bother you to see people arguing on the forum ..."
seems to cause the most arguing itself. Same players for the most part, defending their positions or attacking dissension.

Reactions: Pokey77
It does not drive speakers like universum to their potential, but on Altec or Devores for example, is sufficient (never tried on Devores)
If it’s really a good amplifier it will not match Devores. If it sounds good with Devores (I mean O/96) than it is a colored amplifier after all. Devores require not just match but require an amplifier with recessed mids and basic cabling poor on mids and bass. my two cents.

Last edited:
If it’s really a good amplifier it will not match Devores. If it sounds good with Devores (I mean O/96) than it is a colored amplifier after all. Devores require not just match but require an amplifier with recessed mids and basic cabling poor on mids and bass. my two cents.

The ones I have heard do very well on Devores are NAF 2a3 with KR tubes, and Airtight 300b, Master sound 845 was decent.

Reactions: mtemur
The ones I have heard do very well on Devores are NAF 2a3 with KR tubes, and Airtight 300b, Master sound 845 was decent.
Devores (O/96) sound good or great if you’re listening for 5 minutes. This can prolonged to a couple of days or a week but in the end it shows it’s strong character. A very good character if you’re only listening 60’s blunotes. If not problem starts.

I don’t like KR tubes in general but I like NAF, AirTight and Master Sound amps. IMHO they are not great amps but sounding good especially when you consider their price tags. The new AirTights are very different than older ones IMHO. They sound great.

The biggest problem with 845 and 300B amps is the output tube. It’s almost impossible to find NOS tubes or too expensive to use in those amps. I don’t consider new WE 300B as good as old or 90’s WE. 2A3 has an advantage from this perspective.

Last edited:
Devores (O/96) sound good or great if you’re listening for 5 minutes. This can prolonged to a couple of days or a week but in the end it shows it’s strong character. A very good character if you’re only listening 60’s blunotes. If not problem starts.

I don’t like KR tubes but I like NAF, AirTight and Master Sound amps. IMHO they are not great amps but sounding good especially when you consider their price tags. The new AirTights are very different than older ones IMHO. They sound great.

Sorry, disagree. While Devore will show a character, its soundstage and flow of concert changes on LP to LP basis. I actually like it for listening to good classical. It is not an ultimate speaker but a high value speaker - I would say similar to Tannoy gold or so, which also has a colour but is good value. And needs a lot of space otherwise sounds constrained. Art Dudley actually loved it for rock too, I never tried rock on it.

KR tubes are neutral. They are not as good as good old stock, but I prefer them much more then Psvane, Shuguang, Sophia, etc.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing