HRS Damping Plates v Artesania Audio Dampers v Entreq VibbEaters

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Guys, Increcable are marketing their Wagner "alternative" (or is that re-labelling?) as a top chassis anti-vibration aid, as such a way cheaper parallel of HRS plates.

Whether they're any good in this task, that's another Q.
Marc, whilst I have not heard all of their products, what I have heard works. I intend to check them out again some time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The HRS works as well, just much pricier.
Looking at Herbies Audio Labs mid priced Supersonic Stabilisers as maybe the clever compromise.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have one HRS damping plate. I honestly can’t hear any difference.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Howie, I think the less solid yr gear casework is, or any tendency to chassis ringing, the more HRS likely to be effective.

My Eera cdp is built like one of those cheapo Philips players from 80s, and my Nat pre cases are not the end in structural stability.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie, I think the less solid yr gear casework is, or any tendency to chassis ringing, the more HRS likely to be effective.

My Eera cdp is built like one of those cheapo Philips players from 80s, and my Nat pre cases are not the end in structural stability.

The flimsiest lip is on my EMT phono stage and that is not very flimsy....:(

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Howie, this is the joy (or is that imagining things) of the high end, more critically, high end AND well optimised systems. We really do all hear/perceive cumulative effects v differently. So re HRS, you hear nothing effective. Me? After a tweaks demo that was super pricey where I truly heard nada (SR Black Box), w no expectation HRS would work, I was bowled over by the effects.

Now CK has highlighted that these tweaks can all smooth or damp treble. When I reinvestigate, I'll certainly listen out for this, and any "spotlit hifi" effect. That can sell a demo, but lead to colouration or tonal homogeneity l/t.

At this point, re damping chassis's of phono, cdp, pre and pre psu, I'm looking at <$150 for loaded Wagner pads, $500 for Herbies Audio Labs Supersonic Stabilisers, and $2k for HRS Damping Plates.

Reactions: howiebrou

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
I need a help in choosing the right HRS plates.
If the weight for each equipment is as follows, how do I know which plate to get?
  • (18.1 pounds).
  • (14.3 pounds).
  • (2.6 pounds).
  • All digital nothing analogue.

They have DP II and DPX plates with different weights options. How do I know which one to go with?
Is there a better alternative to HRS?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
From the limited trial I had several months back, the heaviest/biggest pieces...so on my CDP, 3x 14". But start off w one piece and then experiment w more.
Re alternatives, nothing proprietary that I can see, but I'll soon try DIY 0.5" thick IsoDamp pieces cut to HRS size, mass loaded w steel bench blocks, for 10% cost of HRS.
I've already had good results w IsoDamp strips inside my SOTA motor pod.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Marc, did you ever try those Wagner pads with a weight on top?

My Audio Note preamp power supplies ring like Quasimodo on Ketamine.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Here is another inexpensive option — diving bricks. 10lbs each. Rubber coated. They can be had for around $20 ea.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Here is another inexpensive option — diving bricks. 10lbs each. Rubber coated. They can be had for around $20 ea.

Good suggestion. I have a lot of rubber coated diving weight belt weights I can try.

Last edited:

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
I have HRS Rack and shelves. Wanted to try the damping plates but the company does not provide any online helpful information. I asked the dealer what is difference between DPX and DP II. He said DPX is better without any reasons. I use my DP II on my power supply and server and the DOX on phono stage and HT preamp. I tried on DAC and didnt hear much difference. The Dac has OEM stillpoints feet and sits on HRS platform. I have called the company several times and they are very helpful. Asking them directly should answer all your questions

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc, did you ever try those Wagner pads with a weight on top?

My Audio Note preamp power supplies ring like Quasimodo on Ketamine.
Haha, I think I can hear them all the way over here. In the end, a combination of price, and likely benefits, I settled on mass loaded IsoDamp as my alternative to HRS Plates. Things are going to be quiet on the upgrades/tweaks front for the rest of 2021, so I'll be trying out my idea finally.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Haha, I think I can hear them all the way over here. In the end, a combination of price, and likely benefits, I settled on mass loaded IsoDamp as my alternative to HRS Plates. Things are going to be quiet on the upgrades/tweaks front for the rest of 2021, so I'll be trying out my idea finally.
Got a photo of how you use it?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haven't got around to it.
Will be cutting 0.5" thick IsoDamp into 5"x4", 10"x4", 15"x4 sized pieces, and weighing down w steel jewellers bench blocks.

Reactions: howiebrou

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
PM Ack, and look at his system thread.
I've bought a slab of 0.5" thick IsoDamp to be able to cut a dozen 5"/10"/15" x 4" pieces to use on up to seven components

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing