HRS Damping Plates v Artesania Audio Dampers v Entreq VibbEaters

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ian, one could buy stock weights to place on top. Would be looking at 2.5-3kg I think. Thanks for the heads up, I'll chat to them soon.

All I can say is my HRS trial experience was a true eye opener, one of the more dramatically positive upticks you could imagine. Can this be replicated in something like this?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
I cannot really try them myself. I just have six powered component and two (the Devialet amplifiers) are wall-mounted. I could try with my Triton and Typhon albeit it is a rather expensive experiment for something which already claims to be exhaustively designed. Which leaves the Antipodes CX and EX currently housed bottom and top inside a cabinet!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes, but only 2"-2.5" square in size. Cannot match HRS for coverage.
Icrecable suggests to use two pieces on top of a component.
And to place them with their soft bottom pattern in 90 degrees so as to modulate/decrease vibrations of two dimensions.

Too much/too heavy damping will make the treble extension less and the sound dull.
Need our ears to adjust and fine-tune.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But CK, this is not going to cover close to half of a chassis surface area. HRS works better the more area that is covered. And I can't see any mass damping effect from the Increcable. Hey, if two pieces ie $100 per component works, that's great.

Are we talking the MVD-A.I.R. or the MVD-1 or -2?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
MVD-2 is the new and better entry model.

The MVD-AIR is the higher model with treble energy preserved.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, have you heard these versus HRS or Artesania?

Treble energy preserved has gotta be the right choice. Does that mean the cheaper models impair higher frequencies?

You would follow their advice? Ie site only one pair on a standard size component?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes, I tried HRS and Artesania before, but direct comparison vs the MVD was done.
IMHO the former two are expensive.
MVDs were so cheap that I couldn't resist buying some to experiment with.

All "soft" type of damping gadgets improve quietness yet affect treble energy, in contrast to the "hard" type such as Shun Mook.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, I remain a little confused by that. Why would you want to keep any product that damped treble in any way? Imho, HRS which also fit the "soft" category don't smooth treble in my system from what I heard at my trial.

So, does MVD-AIR perform as well or better than HRS or Artesania, or is it unfair to make a direct comparison?

I would be looking at up to 18 in my system, incl spkrs and balanced power transformer.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sorry, I have to disagree : in my audio system and to my wooden ears, HRS does reduce treble energy.

I bought several MVDs to experiment with.
After much testing, there are now only two MVD--2 being used on my Bespoke Silver preamp.
Of course YMMV.

I guess you don't have to buy all the 18 of HRS/Artesania in one go.
Better to add them stepwisely till reaching the sweetspot.
:)

Reactions: justubes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure CK, I'm a kinda "all in" sort of character Lol.

With the HRS, I was drawn to superior lower mids/bass info, kick drums being really resolved here. And the more we added, the better the overall effect. In final analysis, this meant one on Straingauge energiser, three on cdp, two each on pre and pre psu.

Certainly I would try them again ahead of purchase and look out for softer treble.

Am I to conclude you remain generally skeptical on these products, choosing to keep only two?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Found the inexpensive products I'm gonna trial, Wagner MP-4E (4"x4") and 6E (6"x6") EVA anti-vibration pads, both under $10 each. If show promise, I may go on to mass load them w 1kg inert weights.

Products used in vibration heavy environments like garage workshops. Blurb says their material properties trump cork and rubber at successful vibration mitigation. Gotta be worth a punt.

I'll look at btwn 2 to 6 pads each on phono, cdp, pre, pre psu, LPSs and balanced transformer.

Also looking at Herbie's Audio Labs Supersonic Stabilisers, potentially mass loaded again.

Last edited:

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Found the inexpensive products I'm gonna trial, Wagner MP-4E (4"x4") and 6E (6"x6") EVA anti-vibration pads, both under $10 each. If show promise, I may go on to mass load them w 1kg inert weights.

Remarkably the Wagner per set of 4 at 4" x 4" retails at £15.40 on Amazon.

Buy them from Increcable and you pay $80 or around £62.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yes, I did notice that Lol.

toddrhodes

Dec 17, 2018
Yes, I did notice that Lol.

I use those pads all over the place. Under my vinyl rack from when I had some equipment situated on top, under subs, as cable lifters. I was happy enough with them being under sources that I now run IsoAcoustics pucks under my sources and even under each leg of my Sol turntable, as well as the Sol motor.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
A

Products used in vibration heavy environments like garage workshops. Blurb says their material properties trump cork and rubber at successful vibration mitigation. Gotta be worth a punt.

I'll look at btwn 2 to 6 pads each on phono, cdp, pre, pre psu, LPSs and balanced transformer.

Also looking at Herbie's Audio Labs Supersonic Stabilisers, potentially mass loaded again.

Are these not meant for placing under equipment, as opposed to on top? The dampers, like those from HRS, are for the top of components.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
A

Are these not meant for placing under equipment, as opposed to on top? The dampers, like those from HRS, are for the top of components.

Yup. They are meant to go beneath vibrating machinery to minimize noise and vibration transfer to the building structure.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Yup. They are meant to go beneath vibrating machinery to minimize noise and vibration transfer to the building structure.
Exactly we seem to be comparing two different systems of vibration damping here although of course both may be very valuable.

Reactions: toddrhodes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, Increcable are marketing their Wagner "alternative" (or is that re-labelling?) as a top chassis anti-vibration aid, as such a way cheaper parallel of HRS plates.

Whether they're any good in this task, that's another Q.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing