Hurricane Preparation

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So true!

182509_10151224572746406_437261689_n.jpg

Myles-Unfortunately, NY is under the gun with this storm they are dubbing "Frankenstorm" and the "Once In a Lifetime Storm." This could get really ugly for NY. NY is already worried that this storm could flood out the subways and they are thinking of closing the subways down.

;)

Love it! My ole Lady works for the NY Gov. While she was goin in this morning I got a call stating that she? we? will be asked to assist in a rescue mission if needed, so I asked her to practice carrying Me down the stairs? 250 Lbs..................;)

;)

Love it! My ole Lady works for the NY Gov. While she was goin in this morning I got a call stating that she? we? will be asked to assist in a rescue mission if needed, so I asked her to practice carrying Me down the stairs? 250 Lbs..................;)
You're not supposed to take your audio equipment with you!

I'm stocking up on wine and water.

We live about 25 miles north of Manhattan along the 'river road' west of the Hudson River, just south of the Tappan Zee. Thankfully, we live on the 'mountain' side of the street, so the threat of storm surge from the river is not great, but water running off the mountain behind us is considerable. (We have a ravine on our property that is probably 75 ft deep toward the top of the property, and then runs along the side of the property through a gulch, and eventually under the road to the river). When you see how much water can come down in a big storm, and its power, it is frightening.
The folks who live on the river side of the road, including those in the town of nearby Piermont, are at great risk, given the high tide combined with the potential of this storm. This is going to be ugly.

We live about 25 miles north of Manhattan along the 'river road' west of the Hudson River, just south of the Tappan Zee. Thankfully, we live on the 'mountain' side of the street, so the threat of storm surge from the river is not great, but water running off the mountain behind us is considerable. (We have a ravine on our property that is probably 75 ft deep toward the top of the property, and then runs along the side of the property through a gulch, and eventually under the road to the river). When you see how much water can come down in a big storm, and its power, it is frightening.
The folks who live on the river side of the road, including those in the town of nearby Piermont, are at great risk, given the high tide combined with the potential of this storm. This is going to be ugly.

Hope it goes smooth for you guys

I'm in Toronto, so I'm just going to sit back and let the Lake Effect wreak havoc down in Buffalo! Ok, so that was cold, but it's true!:p

Hope it goes smooth for you guys
Thanks. Where are you in NY, Beek?
BTW, my wife is in comm with a scientist who specializes in this stuff here and we understand that the subways and some parts of Queens and Brooklyn are at risk as are power and substations in NY. Not trying to be an alarmist, I hope this thing passes, but from what I gather, being on the outer edge of this thing is worse than being in the middle, given how the winds work.

image.jpg

I will probably do this again, helped keep water out of our garage because a chunk of the driveway slopes down into it, and the zipper drain at its mouth can get overwhelmed.

Outside of that, it's wine, water, etc. My wife wants me to get a generator this yr but I'm probably too late (sold out) for that now. I actually kind of like living w/o power for a bit, worst thing is possible food spoilage.

The scheduled high tide with a full moon (Monday) isn't going to help. Let's hope the storm decides to weer off to the right soon.

View attachment 6323

I will probably do this again, helped keep water out of our garage because a chunk of the driveway slopes down into it, and the zipper drain at its mouth can get overwhelmed.

Outside of that, it's wine, water, etc. My wife wants me to get a generator this yr but I'm probably too late (sold out) for that now. I actually kind of like living w/o power for a bit, worst thing is possible food spoilage.
Clever.
I'll try to take a pic of our ravine. It's pretty crazy, the mountain above it was owned at one point by Boss Tweed, the NYC robber-baron and there is a road up there, very high above the river with incredible views, called 'Tweed Blvd.' There was even a Nike missile base on top back in the Cold War, long gone of course, but it's a pretty high spot. We are on the downslope of that mountain.

The scheduled high tide with a full moon (Monday) isn't going to help. Let's hope the storm decides to weer off to the right soon.
Yep, that's a big concern for the folks right on the water's edge. The town of Piermont, down the road, has an old section that floods even with mild rain- the people that live there are like the folks that live on an active volcano. Their electrical receptacles on the first floor are at waist height, their utilities, like electrical panels and water/gas heaters are on the main floor, not in their basements, and they always get water in their houses. During Irene, people were actually rowing down their street.

I hope everyone in the path of this storm makes it through ok. I don't like the ominous way this storm is being described.

Thank- you both. I'm sure we'll come through fine, it is always a little scary anticipating this and sometimes the weather can be so awesome in its power that you realize how puny is man and his things. I'll try to take a couple pics if I get the chance and am not in crisis mode.

Thanks guys. I'm relatively lucky in that our property slopes away from our house so I avoided the basement flooding that it seemed like every other house in my town experienced. Town next to us, Cranford, was totally underwater last year -- tremendous amount of damage.

This one's scary. I live on Long Island close to the evac zones. Some of my friends have homes in the evac zones. I hope they are wrong like they were last year with Irene but I doubt it. I hope everyone makes it through OK. Hey Miles you need to add decent beer to the list. Hope you are not in "The Zone".

Rob:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing