Hurricane Preparation

This one's scary. I live on Long Island close to the evac zones. Some of my friends have homes in the evac zones. I hope they are wrong like they were last year with Irene but I doubt it. I hope everyone makes it through OK. Hey Miles you need to add decent beer to the list. Hope you are not in "The Zone".

Rob:)

Thanks for the thoughts Rob. Same goes out to you.

No the Upper East Side is high ground on the island and we're a bit away from the East River.

But the south end of the island is going to get slammed.

Be safe!

We took a trip down to Paradise Avenue in Piermont this afternoon. It's mostly small, old charming houses that were originally built for workers I think, from the railroad, and later the paper mill that once dominated the town. (Rumor is, at one point many years ago, it was also a red light district). Many have been lovingly restored and are beautiful little jewels of a certain period of 'Hudson River' architecture- sort of gothic late victorians. The street is basically just above sea level along a marsh on the Hudson. The street was already flooding a little, from the tide. We were helping friends and people we didn't know who live on the street put their kitchen appliances and furniture on sawhorses. A local plumber essentially donated his time, he helped disconnect gas lines and move the appliances and only charged 50 bucks a house, working pretty much all day. Most of these houses have basements that are nothing more than gravel floored pass-throughs for the water- everything essential, from AC power/breaker panels to hot water heaters, are installed on the first floor of these houses because of water.
As mentioned, we are on the river too, but much higher, on the mountain side well above the river line; these folks basically live through storm after storm on the river, and get hammered every time. A guy down the road who is on the river just finished replacing and repairing all the damage from the last big hurricane, a year ago, from floor joists and planking to his entire kitchen, on the first floor of his beautiful old restored carriage house -it sits about 5 feet above, and 5 feet back, from the river itself. I went to visit him this morning on my walk. He was still in his bathrobe, sitting in the living room facing the river, watching the waves and the weather channel and just seemed resigned to the fact that he's gonna get wiped out again. It's just awful, and you ask: how can these folks build, and rebuild again, and again, and again, facing the same hazard. I don't know.

We took a trip down to Paradise Avenue in Piermont this afternoon. It's mostly small, old charming houses that were originally built for workers I think, from the railroad, and later the paper mill that once dominated the town. (Rumor is, at one point many years ago, it was also a red light district). Many have been lovingly restored and are beautiful little jewels of a certain period of 'Hudson River' architecture- sort of gothic late victorians. The street is basically just above sea level along a marsh on the Hudson. The street was already flooding a little, from the tide. We were helping friends and people we didn't know who live on the street put their kitchen appliances and furniture on sawhorses. A local plumber essentially donated his time, he helped disconnect gas lines and move the appliances and only charged 50 bucks a house, working pretty much all day. Most of these houses have basements that are nothing more than gravel floored pass-throughs for the water- everything essential, from AC power/breaker panels to hot water heaters, are installed on the first floor of these houses because of water.
As mentioned, we are on the river too, but much higher, on the mountain side well above the river line; these folks basically live through storm after storm on the river, and get hammered every time. A guy down the road who is on the river just finished replacing and repairing all the damage from the last big hurricane, a year ago, from floor joists and planking to his entire kitchen, on the first floor of his beautiful old restored carriage house -it sits about 5 feet above, and 5 feet back, from the river itself. I went to visit him this morning on my walk. He was still in his bathrobe, sitting in the living room facing the river, watching the waves and the weather channel and just seemed resigned to the fact that he's gonna get wiped out again. It's just awful, and you ask: how can these folks build, and rebuild again, and again, and again, facing the same hazard. I don't know.

Lets Hope it goes easy for all of us, like out to the Atlantic..............

While I'm in upstate, ny 30 miles north of Albany, we are preparing for the worse. Fortunately I do have a 17500 watt standby generator( natural gas) that runs the whole house except washer/ dryer and range, cook top. I have a nice toaster oven, microwave and the gas grill if needed. I'm most worried about our family home on lake George. We got clobbered by Irene. As such, I'm buying a quality chain saw for the expected downed trees. I hate storms.

Sadly, it's the fault of many zoning depts. in NJ/NY who allowed builders to construct homes on flood plains. And every time we have a serious rainstorm, they get flooded :( Lodi, Lincoln Park, Bound Brook, etc.

Sadly, it's the fault of many zoning depts. in NJ/NY who allowed builders to construct homes on flood plains. And every time we have a serious rainstorm, they get flooded :( Lodi, Lincoln Park, Bound Brook, etc.

Agreed, at least re new construction. Most of these houses are very old. I asked my wife, who has become somewhat of an expert on tides on the Hudson (she's a rower and one of the club members is a hydrologist connected with Lamont or one of the other institutions). I'm told that the water levels are simply higher than they were 100 years ago.
There's some pretty amazing vintage footage of the '38 hurricane in NY/Long Island that I found on the web. Other than the cars and the clothing styles, and the fact that it's in B/W, it looks like what's coming.....
Also saw that the Gowanus has now overflowed its banks. That's got to be nasty. Reminded me of that old Trauma film, Toxic Avenger.

Agreed, at least re new construction. Most of these houses are very old. I asked my wife, who has become somewhat of an expert on tides on the Hudson (she's a rower and one of the club members is a hydrologist connected with Lamont or one of the other institutions). I'm told that the water levels are simply higher than they were 100 years ago.
There's some pretty amazing vintage footage of the '38 hurricane in NY/Long Island that I found on the web. Other than the cars and the clothing styles, and the fact that it's in B/W, it looks like what's coming.....
Also saw that the Gowanus has now overflowed its banks. That's got to be nasty. Reminded me of that old Trauma film, Toxic Avenger.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/great-hurricane-1938-article-1.1194501?localLinksEnabled=false

http://www.rms.com/publications/1938_Great_New_England_Hurricane.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1K8ydVaeb4

There used to be an amazing collection of pictures taken on Cape Cod after the 1938 storm but they seem to have been taken down.

Looks like SJ is going to take a direct hit and then come right on us (Phila) on its way to Harrisburg, PA.

I have an old demo record from the 50's, called 'Storm in Hi-Fi' but I just don't need to put it on right now.

Lost power already

Lost power already

That sucks. We've had flickers on and off for the last several hours, and a big tree up behind the garage/pool area cracked, but is leaning against other trees. I'm hoping when the wind shift from N to E it pushes it into the woods, rather than on top of one of the outbuildings. A boat just went cruising down the Hudson past our house, unmoored, out of control, and the whole area is emergency vehicles only. There were a couple locals with ATVS buzzing up the road, but I think they were out for sport, not to help.
I hate it when it gets dark, and you can't see what's happening. Very 'Key Largo.'

Power still on... Chicago Transit Authority, Beginnings at 110 db, 1100 watts per channel potential into 4. The beginnings of the end? I'm thankful Terry and my mom don't live in Ocean City anymore.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing