I Am Seeking a Bit More of the CJ GOLDEN GLOW. Please Share Your Thoughts On What Newer CJ Separates to Consider

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Greetings all, and may 2023 be a fine year full of good health and sweet music.

I'm happily using a CJ CAV 45 S-2 paired with Guarneri Homage. I have absolutely no complaints about this latest CJ control amp. I enjoy it so much that I got to thinking about going to CJ tube separates, those which I could afford, and as long as they were not too old or vintage. Say either very late 20th century or early 21st. So, I contacted CJ and Mr. Fischel wrote back:

"Hello Paul,
Preamps to consider would be PREM16 , PREM17 , ET7S2. The ET7S2 is actually a current model , Power amps , LP70 , LP140M , CLASSIC120. The CLASSIC120 is also a current model.
Best regards,
Jeff Fischel"

I am not interested in going back to vintage tube gear. I had that for decades and finally gave up. Patience wore thin as well as my wallet what with the upgrades and repairs, and costly shipping expenses. Been there, done that.

*What I am looking for is the newest CJ gear that will give me at least some of the storied CJ Golden Glow.*

Thanks for any insights.
Best,
Paul

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The Premier 16LS is an excellent linestage and easily superior to the Premier 17. I have not heard the ET7S2.

I would look to mate it with either the Premier 350 solid-state or the Premier 140 tube amplifiers.

Reactions: XV-1 and paolo

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I too want the golden glow to pair with my ns5000. Something that will let me relax into the sound. I heard the lp140m and I liked it but I think ill like el34 even more so maybe the classic 120 ?

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
In about a week, I will have a PV-5 and MV55, both recently serviced by CJ. Both units have been completely re-tubed. This should be very interesting indeed. :)

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
In about a week, I will have a PV-5 and MV55, both recently serviced by CJ. Both units have been completely re-tubed. This should be very interesting indeed. :)

The PV-5 is a classic. I traded mine for a PV-8 which I still have; probably could use a re-tube. Definitely Golden Era CJ. Post some pictures when you have your gear set up.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Greetings Tim. I will indeed post some photos.
When I started this thread I wrote the following:
"I am not interested in going back to vintage tube gear. I had that for decades and finally gave up. Patience wore thin as well as my wallet what with the upgrades and repairs, and costly shipping expenses. Been there, done that."

I guess you could say, I "mispoke." Or, rather, I spoke too soon. :)

When I discovered the excellent dealer from whom we're getting the recently serviced PV-5 and MV55, I felt completely comfortable "going vintage."

Ironically, one of the main reasons I sold the old tube separates was to "simplify" my life. HAH! If there's a joke, it's on me. Perhaps I need an intervention of some sort. You'll have to ask my understanding and wonderful wife. OTOH, she loves the sound of lush, warm, and golden

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ and tima

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Great that CJ serviced your gear, I had the Audio Research guys in the UK fix my PV6. It was never the same again!

• Haha
Reactions: ThatStereoSound

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
AS YOU MAY KNOW, A NUMBER OF CJ PREAMPS FROM THAT ERA INVERTED ABSOLUTE POLARITY,

IS THAT NO LONGER AN IN ISSUE FOR THOSE POTENTIALLY GLORIUS PREAMPS?

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
A couple of quick snapshots of the Conrad Johnson PV-5 and MV-55. Both are working as they should and sound excellent. I figure that the tubes need at least another 50 or more hours of "burn-in" at this point. This morning, on a whim, I paired the PV-5 with the amp section of a Luxman 550AXII. Legendary American Valve Golden Glow Meets Venerable Japanese Class A = Synergy. I am liking it! :D

PV-5.jpg MV-55.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ and tima

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah! Nice one P mate! Now that's the glow I'm talking about. Yes, this typical CJ signature sound was what CJ was well known for. It was the hallmark of CJ and stood strong for decades.
Back then, their standard tube config was the EL34. As circuits developed they introduced the 6550C in many of their Premier series amplifiers and further into the latest editions, now they primarily use KT120's or KT150's.

Just to keep that classic golden glow going with that wonderful midrange, they still offer the EL34's on their new Classic series amplifiers including the CAV45/ S2, which you're very familiar with!

I was quite surprised when they decided on using the KT88 in their Class A designed amplifiers, such as the ART27A and ART108A, which is their top of the line. Once I heard the ART27A only then I realised why. I haven't had any urgency to upgrade either, from my last Class A bias mods to any of their latest and greatest. Not inclined to do so, just enjoying those fine tunes!

Cheers mate, and keep those tubes glowing!
Woof! RJ

Reactions: paolo

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
RJ, thank you for your comments. I fear I may be developing a potentially incurable CJ addiction at this point. Time will tell. And of course, the wallet and resident accountant are factors I'll have to reckon with. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
CJ is very very special. Down to earth, understated, all about simple circuits and music. Their PR is de minimum from my own observation...but their work is fantastic. And they last. And so does the CJ Team who looks after every piece they have ever made. You can even ask them to upgrade your old piece to a hybrid later spec (even if not for your model) such as Teflon capacitors, etc which do not fall into a specific model category.

I have owned CJ for nearly 20 years consecutively from PV14L/MV60 to ACT 2 to GAT 1 and then GAT 2. I moved across to Robert Koda K15EX which is phenomenal. That said, would really enjoy hearing the new ART88 just to learn about where CJ is going into the future.

Enjoy! Your pieces are well regarded in the history of CJ.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
@LL21 Thank you for your kind words and good cheer. I will be fine-tuning the configuration of the new-to-me PV5 and MV55. I recently replaced a nice pair of NOS Sylvania 12AT7 in the preamp with NOS GE 5965. I mistakenly wrote 5751.
and that made for a subtle but noticeable improvement.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
@LL21 Thank you for your kind words and good cheer. I will be fine-tuning the configuration of the new-to-me PV5 and MV55. I recently replaced a nice pair of NOS Sylvania 12AT7 in the preamp with NOS GE 5751 and that made for a subtle but noticeable improvement.
Excellent! In my own experience, I found that good isolation under (HRS) and HRS or Artesania damping plates on top brought a further solidity and sure-footedness to the CJ sound.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Correction: The NOS GE's are 5965 and NOT 5751. I'm still getting familiar with the PV5. I regret my error.

Last edited:

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
The Premier 16LS is an excellent linestage and easily superior to the Premier 17. I have not heard the ET7S2.

I would look to mate it with either the Premier 350 solid-state or the Premier 140 tube amplifiers.
Have you heard ct5 or et5 ?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
CJ is very very special. Down to earth, understated, all about simple circuits and music. Their PR is de minimum from my own observation...but their work is fantastic. And they last. And so does the CJ Team who looks after every piece they have ever made. You can even ask them to upgrade your old piece to a hybrid later spec (even if not for your model) such as Teflon capacitors, etc which do not fall into a specific model category.

I have owned CJ for nearly 20 years consecutively from PV14L/MV60 to ACT 2 to GAT 1 and then GAT 2. I moved across to Robert Koda K15EX which is phenomenal. That said, would really enjoy hearing the new ART88 just to learn about where CJ is going into the future.

Enjoy! Your pieces are well regarded in the history of CJ.
How is koda vs gat 2 ? thx

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yep! I had both versions of the ACT2, series 1 & 2. Then a very wise man said that if I could slightly mod a CT5, which came after the ACT2 in a more simplified config, with careful component selection it could well morph into an ACT2 series 3... if ever one existed. But there isn't a series 3, so that is exactly what I did with my CT5. Also, the deep chassis allows for various types of mods... really speaking sky's the limit!
After these were done in succession over a period of 2yrs, I've had absolutely no intention of upgrading to a newer series. For me, this mod was establishing a custom sound, and so similar mods were done on my CJ monoblocks to match well with stats.

Unless it was the ART88. That particular preamp is an all tube design, no buffered inputs / outputs in SS, just pure tooob finesse. From what I've been told, it's far more neutral than any of CJ's golden offerings, and it simply gets out of the way, allowing more of the recording. I guess that's exactly what a fine preamp ought to be.

I'm heading off to Spore on shortly, will return after a couple weeks, and all the auditions have been confirmed:
Art88 + ART108A's driving Alsyvox and CLX's.
Diptyque ribbons panels with Jadis Mk2 monoblocks. A few other demos on the Neoliths and ML stats but no Clarisys panels as yet. I was really looking forward to these.
And of course the ultimate, the Genesis Tributes but they've not confirmed the demo as yet. Perhaps it's still early days for dealers to take on. Will see how it goes... fun times ahead and learning curve indeed. I may have to make another trip if and when the Clarisys line is available.

Cheers and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yep! I had both versions of the ACT2, series 1 & 2. Then a very wise man said that if I could slightly mod a CT5, which came after the ACT2 in a more simplified config, with careful component selection it could well morph into an ACT2 series 3... if ever one existed. But there isn't a series 3, so that is exactly what I did with my CT5. Also, the deep chassis allows for various types of mods... really speaking sky's the limit!
After these were done in succession over a period of 2yrs, I've had absolutely no intention of upgrading to a newer series. For me, this mod was establishing a custom sound, and so similar mods were done on my CJ monoblocks to match well with stats.

Unless it was the ART88. That particular preamp is an all tube design, no buffered inputs / outputs in SS, just pure tooob finesse. From what I've been told, it's far more neutral than any of CJ's golden offerings, and it simply gets out of the way, allowing more of the recording. I guess that's exactly what a fine preamp ought to be.

I'm heading off to Spore on shortly, will return after a couple weeks, and all the auditions have been confirmed:
Art88 + ART108A's driving Alsyvox and CLX's.
Diptyque ribbons panels with Jadis Mk2 monoblocks. A few other demos on the Neoliths and ML stats but no Clarisys panels as yet. I was really looking forward to these.
And of course the ultimate, the Genesis Tributes but they've not confirmed the demo as yet. Perhaps it's still early days for dealers to take on. Will see how it goes... fun times ahead and learning curve indeed. I may have to make another trip if and when the Clarisys line is available.

Cheers and enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
Wow look forward to reading your reports! I know you know CJ extremely well. I have been an owner of CJ preamps for 20 consecutive years or so. Really would like to read more about the ART88. The way you describe the ART88 is how I describe the GAT 2 which we owned...but I somehow feel like pure tube is something special if its CJ. An extra special touch of fine magic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing