I have the speakers...now I need the rest!

Jumbalaya88

Oct 17, 2019
Hi everyone!

I found a great deal on a pair of Fluance Signature Series floorstanding speakers (click for link to Amazon) and I'm looking to fill out the rest of the equipment I need for them on a budget. First, I need a good receiver. These speakers are going to act primarily as my HiFi music setup but also my home theater system.

I've been looking at receivers in the $600 range because I've found that I can find them used or on sale for $300 - $350. The Sony STR-DN1080 seems to be a good option but I was hoping this forum could steer me in the right direction.

Thank you for the help!

J

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I gravitate towards Marantz AV receivers because I find them to be smooth.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This receiver was on sale few months ago (brand new) for $500 ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...30-9.2-ch-x-120-watts-thx-a/v-receiver/1.html

It's the same receiver for the same price but a refurb (1-year warranty). I'm sure it'll be on sale again brand new for $500 (Black Friday is next month). Anyway that's one option.
Right now brand new they asked $700 (3-year warranty) ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma....2-ch-x-120-watts-thx-a/v-receiver-new/1.html

Another option (refurb $550 with 2-year warranty) ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma....2-9.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-a/v-receiver/1.html

The Denons and Marantz are more money in comparison (for similar caliber), quite a bit more.
They don't have good sales @ the moment, same for Pioneer Elite and Yamaha Aventage receivers. Onkyo and Integra receivers have tremendous values price wise.
Which one is best I simply don't know...the values of those I posted are simply the best, in your price range right now. Wait for Black Friday, I'd say...only a month away.
_____

* And because Jack mentioned Marantz's smoothness ($150 over your budget, and a refurb with a
3-year warranty) ... $750
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...9.2-ch-x-110-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

** Me personally I wouldn't get that Sony receiver with a power slave AC cord, and less equipped on the rear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumbalaya88

Jumbalaya88

Oct 17, 2019
This receiver was on sale few months ago (brand new) for $500 ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...30-9.2-ch-x-120-watts-thx-a/v-receiver/1.html

It's the same receiver for the same price but a refurb (1-year warranty). I'm sure it'll be on sale again brand new for $500 (Black Friday is next month). Anyway that's one option.
Right now brand new they asked $700 (3-year warranty) ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma....2-ch-x-120-watts-thx-a/v-receiver-new/1.html

Another option (refurb $550 with 2-year warranty) ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma....2-9.2-ch-x-100-watts-thx-a/v-receiver/1.html

The Denons and Marantz are more money in comparison (for similar caliber), quite a bit more.
They don't have good sales @ the moment, same for Pioneer Elite and Yamaha Aventage receivers. Onkyo and Integra receivers have tremendous values price wise.
Which one is best I simply don't know...the values of those I posted are simply the best, in your price range right now. Wait for Black Friday, I'd say...only a month away.
_____

* And because Jack mentioned Marantz's smoothness ($150 over your budget, and a refurb with a
3-year warranty) ... $750
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...9.2-ch-x-110-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

** Me personally I wouldn't get that Sony receiver with a power slave AC cord, and less equipped on the rear.

Thank you very much. Yes, I plan to watch for deals on Black Friday and now with these suggestions, I actually know what to look for.

Thanks again!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is it smooth? :)
_____

Inside the Marantz SR6013 AV receiver (28 pounds) ...

A relatively small transformer, aluminum heatsink (not bent metal), and two small fans under that heatsink. Caps (x 2) @ 12000 uF each. Power consumption...680W. It has features aplenty and connections in the rear as well. ...Audyssey MultEQ XT32...room correction.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some comparisons (specs) with Onkyo TX-RZ830 AV receiver...
It's slightly heavier @ 31 pounds (3 more pounds than the Marantz above).
The two caps are rated @ 15,000 ?F each (6,000a uF more total than the Marantz).
Power consumption...870 W (200 W more than the Marantz).
Price: $250 less than the Marantz.

Some internals ...

Just showing copper screws ^ used for the discrete transistors on the heatsink.

Last edited:

Jumbalaya88

Oct 17, 2019
So, just out of my own curiosity, what key components separate low-to-mid-grade receivers (or amps) from mid-to-high-grade receivers (or amps)?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
1. Toroidal transformer ... 1kVA (1,000 Watts) or more.
2. Microfarads capacitance...say 60,000 uF total or more (for a receiver)...80V or 100 Volts.
3. Large extruded aluminum heatsinks x 2 (running the full width or length - depth).
4. Implementation of all circuitry...digital and analog...including the DACs, plus top quality parts.
5. Measurements to corroborate both objective and subjective sound performamce value.
* Quality Auto Room Correction.
** Weight (physical) more or less.
*** Money...more or less.

My take.

Last edited:

Jumbalaya88

Oct 17, 2019
I have an update. There is a good chance that I'll be getting a leftover receiver from my work and my company only does high-end equipment. I do not know what the equipment is at the moment but I'm hoping to find out in the next few days. Once I do, I'll post the make / model so y'all can skewer it lol. Stay tuned!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am having an issue with my Marantz. I expect it to be fixed for free under warranty. I have found it to not be unusual for a bad transistor to appear in mass produced electronics.
I like mine in part because of its' low profile.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Buying a current AV receiver is similar to buying a computer. It just does so many htings. Marantz even supplies a microphone. It would not play until you accessed the SETUP progam , So much for plug and play.

Jumbalaya88

Oct 17, 2019
My speakers say they are 8 ohm compatible but the speakers themselves say they are rated at 4 ohms. The Onkyo TX-RZ830 for example has the following specs:

All channels 250 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD,
1 channel driven)
120 W/Ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz,
0.08% THD, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Dynamic power 250 W (3 ohms, Front)
220 W (4 ohms, Front)
130 W (8 ohms, Front)

So according to this, it only dynamically supports 4 ohms. Is that going to be a problem? Well the speakers are 8 ohms compatible, wouldn't it be better to run them natively at 4 ohms?

Man you really need an audio education to figure all this out.

Thanks for the help,

Jonathan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The Denon AVR-X2500H is on sale for $399. Worth it?

You posted ...
I have an update. There is a good chance that I'll be getting a leftover receiver from my work and my company only does high-end equipment. I do not know what the equipment is at the moment but I'm hoping to find out in the next few days. Once I do, I'll post the make / model so y'all can skewer it lol. Stay tuned!

Denon is not "high-end equipment". For that you would want say ... a McIntosh receiver, or Luxman, or a Lexicon receiver. And even better...a separate Classe pre-pro with Classe amplifiers, say.

But for four hundred bucks I would try to get something retailing for a round $1,200-1,500 used with a warranty or on super sale (Black Friday).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ao06x9ou11P/p_033AVX2500/Denon-AVR-X2500H.html
It has audyssey MultEQ XT (XT32 would be better), it weights only 21 pounds...so the amplifier section won't be the last word on sheer power and ultimate resolution, but it costs only 400 bucks. It has no preouts for the main channels so you cannot add better more powerful amplification.

The specs in receivers are like pizza toppings; it won't tell you anything till you taste it yourself.
Some pizza taste better than other. The receivers (refurbs) I posted before; IMO have more "counting value and substance". You said you don't mind "used" (they all come with a warranty, as if brand new, they were tested for working operation condition, and manufacturers authorized...like Crutchfield), they are slightly above your budget but it's a good thing, and can handle better speakers today and tomorrow...I think.

Stay tuned ...

* For $50 more ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

1. XT32
2. Preouts for all Channels
3. Slightly heavier (3 pounds)

Preouts for all Channels, and a slightly beefier amp section ... plus XT32 (top).

And of course for $100 more over your budget the Onkyo RZ830 is IMO an excellent deal.
Preouts for all Channels, particularly the three main fronts are something to look for in a receiver.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My speakers say they are 8 ohm compatible but the speakers themselves say they are rated at 4 ohms. The Onkyo TX-RZ830 for example has the following specs:

All channels 250 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD,
1 channel driven)
120 W/Ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz,
0.08% THD, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Dynamic power 250 W (3 ohms, Front)
220 W (4 ohms, Front)
130 W (8 ohms, Front)

So according to this, it only dynamically supports 4 ohms. Is that going to be a problem? Well the speakers are 8 ohms compatible, wouldn't it be better to run them natively at 4 ohms?

Man you really need an audio education to figure all this out.

Thanks for the help,

Jonathan

That particular receiver is rated to drive 4 Ohm loads for the main fronts.
THX Select certification requires that.
But the specs are just that; real measurements are worth searching for...more revelatory if performed by reliable sources.

Denon AVR-X3400H receiver review (with some measurements):
* https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x3400h-av-receiver-review

Last edited:

Jumbalaya88

Oct 17, 2019
You posted ...

Denon is not "high-end equipment". For that you would want say ... a McIntosh receiver, or Luxman, or a Lexicon receiver. And even better...a separate Classe pre-pro with Classe amplifiers, say.

But for four hundred bucks I would try to get something retailing for a round $1,200-1,500 used with a warranty or on super sale (Black Friday).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ao06x9ou11P/p_033AVX2500/Denon-AVR-X2500H.html
It has audyssey MultEQ XT (XT32 would be better), it weights only 21 pounds...so the amplifier section won't be the last word on sheer power and ultimate resolution, but it costs only 400 bucks. It has no preouts for the main channels so you cannot add better more powerful amplification.

The specs in receivers are like pizza toppings; it won't tell you anything till you taste it yourself.
Some pizza taste better than other. The receivers (refurbs) I posted before; IMO have more "counting value and substance". You said you don't mind "used" (they all come with a warranty, as if brand new, they were tested for working operation condition, and manufacturers authorized...like Crutchfield), they are slightly above your budget but it's a good thing, and can handle better speakers today and tomorrow...I think.

Stay tuned ...

* For $50 more ...
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

1. XT32
2. Preouts for all Channels
3. Slightly heavier (3 pounds)

Preouts for all Channels, and a slightly beefier amp section ... plus XT32 (top).

And of course for $100 more over your budget the Onkyo RZ830 is IMO an excellent deal.
Preouts for all Channels, particularly the three main fronts are something to look for in a receiver.

Thank you for the reply on this. Don't worry, the Denon was not the high-end receiver that I may get from work. I'm still waiting on word for that. I just happened to see the Denon on sale and wondered what your thoughts were. I am aiming to get the Onkyo RZ830 if the receiver from work falls through or just isn't what I'm looking for. I figure I can go above budget and let family chip in for it as my Christmas gift.

Jumbalaya88

Oct 17, 2019
That particular receiver is rated to drive 4 Ohm loads for the main fronts.
THX Select certification requires that.

ah ok, I couldn't tell that from the spec sheet. It does say "Speaker impedance 4 ohms–16 ohms" generally and it says "220 W (4 ohms, Front)" but that was specific to dynamic power which, from what I understand, is just millisecond of peak power. I didn't know if it would be an issue or not but apparently, it is not a problem!

Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing