I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

+1

But the sound of the AS is starting to make me wonder why from a practical standpoint. Of course, no one said hi-end audio enthusiasts are practical when it comes to collecting gear.

It is the same reason why you have a garage full of supercars my friend :).

talked to David today about arm board choices, as it's time to get those lined up for April delivery. I think i'm going to go ahead and sell the NVS sometime in the next month. with my expensive choice to go 'uber' digital this year, having multiple tt's and arms is not a direction I can go right now......as much as I would like to. maybe in the future I can come back to that idea.

i'll have to use the Studer's as my system reference check. I think they are up to it.

I will likely use my 2 Durand Telos 12" tonearms on the AS and at least one NOS/vintage SME 3012R from David. that's 3 to begin with, as the 4th would be in the way while I get comfortable with this beast in any case. no hurry to choose the 4th arm. I want to get to know the SME relative to my Durand's before I go further. things will just work themselves out.

I do have an unused wood Telos arm wand (the other two are composite) i'll likely designate for the Miyajima Premium Be Mono. I can have it dialed in and even with weights so it would be a quick install for mono.

not going to worry about another phono stage for now as switching loading and gain on the darTZeel preamp takes seconds and it has 2 separate phono stages so switching phono cables for the third arm is very workable. and with a range of 57db to 73db of gain I can handle any cartridge with either phono stage.

really looking forward to that super low noise floor on the AS with the high gain MC/low noise GFS and vdH Strad Sig. got to be some pretty low noise floors going on there.

time to start really thinking about this. talking to David again (and reading Christian's feedback) today has got my engine running.

Last edited:
I will likely use my 2 Durand Telos 12" tonearms on the AS and at least one NOS/vintage SME 3012R from David. that's 3 to begin with, as the 4th would be in the way while I get to know this beast in any case. no hurry to choose the 4th arm. I want to get to know the SME relative to my Durand's before I go further. things will just work themselves out.

You might want to consider what kind of tonearm wire you want for the 3012R. Your preference might not be the same as David's copper only approach.

Kind regards,
Tang

You might want to consider what kind of tonearm wire you want for the 3012R. Your preference might not be the same as David's copper only approach.

Kind regards,
Tang

agree that is an issue. my sense is to accept David's viewpoint to begin with and give it a chance. whatever he thinks will best stand up to the Durand's so I can get the full relative picture of the SME. I have to learn about that arm and my options.

I would welcome your advice, Tang.

I’m really surprised that with the potential to go to four arms, none of you guys are contemplating at least one linear tracking air arm. Whatever are the pros and cons, surely there are enough positives to go in this direction?

I’m really surprised that with the potential to go to four arms, none of you guys are contemplating at least one linear tracking air arm. Whatever are the pros and cons, surely there are enough positives to go in this direction?

Too fussy for me Marc. Simple smart I like.

What are the pros Marc, real not claimed ones? There are already many variables and complexities involved with tonearms both for the designer and the end user throwing in air as an additional variable is the last thing one needs.
david

Sure David, I just feel I’m getting something fairly unique from my linear air arm compared to my previous pivoted arms.
If tangential tracking errors weren’t a consideration in practice rather than in theory, why does anyone bother going beyond 9”?

agree that is an issue. my sense is to accept David's viewpoint to begin with and give it a chance. whatever he thinks will best stand up to the Durand's so I can get the full relative picture of the SME. I have to learn about that arm and my options.

I would welcome your advice, Tang.

We are on the same wave length here. Why not taste what the Michelin chef has on his recepe first.

I would be going way over my head to give you advise Mike. I can only tell you what I find from my system.

Kind regards,
Tang

It is definitely more accurate and trustworthy to have different tts in your system at the same time to evaluate them. Nobody can recollect hearing memory as good as switching tts within seconds. And hearing them in other people's system means very little to me.

For one to determine or declare the best tt, he must has such great experience and done his time with many tts, arms, carts in his system. There is a long learning process to really understand the intrinsic sound of each tt, cart, arm. Since these three components have to be used together, you have to keep switching combos until you really know the true sound characters of each. Any of these component might have a short fall but is covered up by the strength of another component in the chain. If each component is new like mine it requires even much longer time. What I am saying is even you have four tables in your room, without doing a substantial time with each of them with different arms, carts, your words will just be a ballpark. David is the one who has those kind of experiences, done his time with so many tts, arms, carts, and has the credibility to claim what he hears is best tt. I am not trying to put him in the pedestal of the tt god or anything. But if you really are into tt you know what I am talking about about doing time.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Khun Tang,
Thank you for not putting me on a pedestal, it’s tiring often come with a rope and we tend to fall off them :)!
You’re correct about the time needed to gain experience it will all come together once you can nail the setups accurately repeatedly.

david

Last edited:

one arm that is tempting to me is the Schroeder LT linear tracker. I did live with a very fine linear tracker for 8 years in the Sirius III arm that I ultimately moved away from. yet I recognize what they can bring. there is also at least one arm in development I have my eye on.

i'm going one step at a time. but I recognize that speculation (prodding) is part of what we (you:rolleyes:) do here.

Last edited:
one arm that is tempting to me is the Schroeder LT linear tracker. I did live with a very fine linear tracker for 8 years in the Sirius III arm that I ultimately moved away from. yet I recognize what they can bring. there is also at least one arm in development I have my eye on.

i'm going one step at a time. but I recognize that speculation (prodding) is part of what we (you:rolleyes:) do here.

If you are dying to see me again, please get the Schroeder LT. Also FR 66.

We had a thread on this arm some years ago : http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12788-Schroder-lT-installed-pics-a-few-comments.
Apparently it looked the tonearm to own - the best of pivot and linear tracking in a single arm. Does any one own it currently?

JFrech has moved on from it to the Spiral Groove Centroid it seems.

Awsmone recently heard my Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracker and rates it pretty highly. Killer analog for <$1.5k.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu