I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

my guess is that as time goes by, and more people get exposed to the performance of the American Sounds AS-2000, requests for 'how it's done' will get louder and louder. David will have to deal with that. and wanting to see how the platter<->plinth design looks will be likely a very popular question.

so far his answer to me was 'buy one'. and that's what he told Micro back a few pages.

Simple audiophile and also technical curiosity, in my case. Conical air bearings are not a new thing - the US manufacturers are leaders in this technology and I have a colleague who has referred in a seminar to new materials that have been developed for this purpose. I just wanted to see how David implemented it.

Thanks, David. Again, I commend and congratulate you on your efforts to see this project through and you deserve all of the recognition of a job very well done. I am truly fascinated by the buzz and actual reports about the sonics of this turntable. Not knowing your personal situation, I can understand some hesitancy to becoming a small time turntable manufacturer/dealer. But, the results you have achieved and the joy that you could bring to other enthusiasts, must be worth contemplating. It must be very rewarding for you.

And Mike's comments are really interesting. As more people do get exposed to this AS2000, it may just encourage established manufacturers to start rethinking their approaches toward turntable design, and particularly, non suspended, mass loaded, belt drive systems. It really seems a fascinating time to be involved with analog.

As an aside, I invited my 16 year old daughter to listen to some music with me last night. She loves the old classic singers: Ella, Etta James, Frank Sinatra, Louise Armstrong. We played "Ella and Louise" and "Louise Armstrong and Duke Ellington". Two classics if there ever were any. She asked me to turn off the lights, and then she sat there mesmerized by the sonics of the 45rpm disks for nearly an hour. She told me that none of her friends even know who these singers are, and yet she loves them. I suppose some might think that a bit odd for a young person in today's world, but there might be something to be said about introducing kids to good music on a good system, even by these standards, my relatively modest one. Like some of my audiophile friends, she just sat, not saying a word, and listened.

Kids & nonaudiophiles can be the best listening companions, they're there for the music and not to analyze and sometimes even to spend time with Dad :)!

david

it´s a good sign when I can listen to the Køln concert with Keith Jarret on close to live level and keep a trivial conversation with my wife and enjoy a nice glass of red, without her being obviously annoyed/distracted

I cannot imagine dealing with any separate tower, or large housing above the AS that a conventional linear tracker would require. those are out as options. at minimum it would need to be a pivoted linear tracker mounted in a conventional arm board.

linear trackers are fraught with issues. No thanks !!!

Christian, do you have any images of the base without the platter mounted or of the bottom of the platter? I am very curious about what happens between the bass and platter and the shape of the surfaces which form the air bearing.

I don't. I did not take pictures during install of the parts...my back was hurting too much to think about photo's. ;) This is David's baby...if he wants to show under the platter skirt, he can do it. :D

Christian, could you explain the differences you hear between the new AS2000 and your TechDAS AF1? Did you ever have the same arm/cartridge on both tables for a more direct comparison?

I have not heard the AF1 since the AS2000 arrival. I need to mount a cart on it now, just to listen. The rear 12" graham is no longer on the AF1. It has only a 10.5" Graham Elite mounted. Just working from memory...the AS is head and shoulders above the AF1 playback. The AF1 has a particular sound character..as does my CA Master Innovation. This turntable has no sound character. Just like the 3012R arm...this TT just lets the music flow/play and does not impart any special character or sound to the music. I will be doing more direct comparisons over the next few weeks. I will probably keep the AF1 since it's so different...but we shall see where the cards fall as I get more familiar with the setup.

experience from those who have experience...like David. I asked about LT's before. They look like an utter PITA with only a theoretical tracking advantage that has yet to be realized/proven compared to radial arms.

IMHO almost nothing in this hobby, particularly in the high-end, manages to be proved - but we usually pick and endorse opinions of people who share our preferences.

IMHO almost nothing in this hobby, particularly in the high-end, manages to be proved - but we usually pick and endorse opinions of people who share our preferences.

Well it’s hard to avoid subjective opinions. As a Clear Audio TT owner I have contemplated one of their LT’s. Perhaps lack of experience with them has me running in the other direction. I am really starting to appreciate the no frills SME bayonet arm type experience. Have a bunch of carts ready to mount with just a simple change in VTA and VTF is well...intoxicating.

experience from those who have experience...like David. I asked about LT's before. They look like an utter PITA with only a theoretical tracking advantage that has yet to be realized/proven compared to radial arms.

there is no doubt that linear trackers deliver 'space' (and sometimes clearly lower distortion at the beginning and end of sides) in a way beyond pivoted arms. call it an artifact if you like, but it's a musical plus mostly. I heard that when my Rockport was along side three other tt's with pivoted arms, and hear it when I regularly visit my local friend with the Forsell. I heard it somewhat on the Schroeder LT at RMAF.

are there trade-offs? likely there are depending on the context.

if you have a gaggle of arms, why not a nice linear tracker be among them? it can suit some music or pressings particularly well.

Well it’s hard to avoid subjective opinions. As a Clear Audio TT owner I have contemplated one of their LT’s. Perhaps lack of experience with them has me running in the other direction. I am really starting to appreciate the no frills SME bayonet arm type experience. Have a bunch of carts ready to mount with just a simple change in VTA and VTF is well...intoxicating.

This is one of the reasons the SME 3012R is never leaving my listening room. I'm up to 8 carts now and really enjoying trading them out to change the sound of my system. Takes all of 5 minutes.

At some time I owned a ClearAudio TQ1. Never managed to master it - I sold it to a person who managed to get a great performance from it and told me I was using the wrong cartridge. If my experience with LT's was only with the TQ1 I would have a very negative balance. However I had great performance with both the Eminent Technology ET2.5 and the Forsell - I still own both. The easiest tonearms to set up - no compensating funny angles, just perpendicular and straight lines, no need to use fancy tools, microscopes or reading glasses :), no mistracking, solid images and great soundstage. What else do I need?

BTW, I also have a few SME3012R 's - just thinking about the future, David is very persuasive ...

Edit after reading Mike post - yes, the few last minutes of many LPs were not a disaster anymore with the LT's.

This is one of the reasons the SME 3012R is never leaving my listening room. I'm up to 8 carts now and really enjoying trading them out to change the sound of my system. Takes all of 5 minutes.

The arm is beautifully engineered and constructed. A timeless work of art. I have a nice display case for 10 carts on the way from Japan..the hard part is finding the old SME S2 Headshells.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMJ-Zelkov...d=122803449722&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

The other revelation is how good SPU carts under $1000 Sound....

The arm is beautifully engineered and constructed. A timeless work of art. I have a nice display case for 10 carts on the way from Japan..the hard part is finding the old SME S2 Headshells.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMJ-Zelkov...d=122803449722&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

The other revelation is how good SPU carts under $1000 Sound....

I bought several SME headshells NOS from 2juki on eBay. I've also had great luck with Yamamoto Ebony and Carbon fiber headshells. For vintage MM carts, I find the AT magnesium headshells are awesome:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-TECH...442279?hash=item2a98ef3e27:g:XrQAAOxykmZTLBVd

I have nowhere near the experience a lot of you guys have. But my move to air bearing linear tracker in the last 5 years has been really radical, taken even further in my reinstall in the last week. I really feel I’m getting the lowest noise ever, total speed, and an airiness but built on very solid foundations, that I find 200% addictive. I would really struggle to go back to a pivoted arm.
Tbh, some of you are claiming anxiety over the practicalities of an air arm. I find that wryly amusing since no fear in utilising a 450lb behemoth and air suspension/bearing is also proffered.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu