I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

i Find very good my bergmann TL arm
The sound of cartridge is very fast,dynamic and very natural and neutral
Cartridge seems play without tonearm
Bergmann did now a new tonearm to put in every TT
In 3 years never had a problems
What has TT where can put 3/4 arm i raccomandati to try if possible

Can you give more details on that amazing news?

I had original parts to make a couple more speakers and I did a few years back. Took a few attempts to figure out the wood but in the end they turned out right.

david

I have had Bergmann tonearm for 7 years now without any problem at all. The Sound is fantastic with several cartridges I have tryed. Airbearing is the right soulution for me. Happy new year to everybody.

I still have my SPU a95 back for sale. 2 buyers committed and dropped out due to inability to raise funds. I bought it at 1300Euro brand new (2600 retail) from an Italian dealer via Gian, he too bought one. The a95 was used to compare against a85, where it proved much better on all qualities of tone, bass, details, dynamics. Gian has both that and the Synergy and prefers the a95 iirc. I also visited Swissonor the Thorens restorer who had the a90 but said that the a95 was better (his wore out so was using the a90). Mine has been used only for a85 compare, and another compare against Zyx where the owner burned it in for a couple of days (he was one of the guys planning to buy, he liked it that much, but since has had an accident and other problems). So it is has effectively been hardly played. I am just selling to move funds to another toy to play with, maybe phono, arm, or cart.

You bought your SPU A95 for a good price and I am tempted by another, but I will wait and see what Ortofon has for their 100th.

I had original parts to make a couple more speakers and I did a few years back. Took a few attempts to figure out the wood but in the end they turned out right.

david

It must have been a really fascinating project. Having the originals close by should have been of great help.

It must have been a really fascinating project. Having the originals close by should have been of great help.
To some extent yes and I had full set of original drawings too but they didn't spec the type of wood. It took several attempts to find something that worked well but still didn't end up with exact sound thats why I ended up selling them. I had the same experience trying to reproduce some other vintage speaker cabinets from original sample and drawings but never got it quite right. AS turntable is a different story, I have years of machining experience and I understand the engineering vey well.

david

David

Do you think that the aging of your speakers and specifically the wood compared to a new built pair would have anything to do with it not sounding the same?

Paul

I still have my SPU a95 back for sale. 2 buyers committed and dropped out due to inability to raise funds. I bought it at 1300Euro brand new (2600 retail) from an Italian dealer via Gian, he too bought one. The a95 was used to compare against a85, where it proved much better on all qualities of tone, bass, details, dynamics. Gian has both that and the Synergy and prefers the a95 iirc. I also visited Swissonor the Thorens restorer who had the a90 but said that the a95 was better (his wore out so was using the a90). Mine has been used only for a85 compare, and another compare against Zyx where the owner burned it in for a couple of days (he was one of the guys planning to buy, he liked it that much, but since has had an accident and other problems). So it is has effectively been hardly played. I am just selling to move funds to another toy to play with, maybe phono, arm, or cart.

Heavenly match: SPU A95 and Jelco TK-950L with knife edge vertical bearing

8B9AF3F6-047C-4CE8-BFB0-1A3084D205A0.jpg76EF67CE-3F9D-4EF7-9BD8-4E816D51DA0B.jpg

David

Do you think that the aging of your speakers and specifically the wood compared to a new built pair would have anything to do with it not sounding the same?

Paul

It might have something to do with it too but I think it has to do with technic and understanding how those old speaker cabinets were made.

david

It's a shame some of these build methods and techniques where not learned by younger guys to keep them alive or at least learned.
The culture and education is no longer there and this was a very specific area where art & engineering come together. You can say that for recordings too, the old guard is gone and digital changed everything :(...

david

Lots of presents under your tree :)!

Yes, I had a couple of horn loaded cabinets built but haven't had much success with the quality of the build. The makers seem to have theoretical knowledge of how to build them and can follow plans but they don't get the nuances of resonant boxes and tend to build the horn loaded boxes too dead which gives a different flavor than what I was looking for so the JBLs are my compromise. They're very efficient, built right and I can blend them very well with the Bionors. I have another pair for my Vitavox corner horns that work extremely well too all driven with Lamm ML2 amps but a proper horn sub is always in the back of my mind but I need a larger room for that.

david

mine were designed by Rune Skramstad most famous for theese

Gjerstad_horn1.jpg

an outdoor scene in southern Norway...they´re up in the mountains and are heard all th way down to the coast :cool:

he really knows what he´s doing
CNC baltic ply 18mm and eighteen sound 21 inch..alu reinforced turn and mouth 92 db@20 without room gain

21LW1400 in 4 m frontloaded with ventilated rear chamber that is tuned to match the pressure in the horn...he´s got a patent for it that Altec wanted to buy
later we also tested ventilating the rear chambers og the midbasshorns with dual Jbl 2220B...impedance peak almost wanished and a reflection in the horn moved from 130Hz to 30....lopassed at 600 against TAD 4003 and then 2002 at 8K

another crazy creation..Rune to the left...
he was mentor when Bjørn Kolbræk took a doctors degree in horn theory in NTNU in Trondheim Norway
låvebruhorn.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing