"If you don't have a $200k [speaker]..."

I seem to recall someone toting their Lampizator GG DAC all over for auditions not too long ago…any ideas who that might have been?
You have to separate promotional Ked from Ked the music lover ! ;)

You have to separate promotional Ked from Ked the music lover ! ;)

Lampi is the best for music for me, digitally, for streaming. My strategy is records. I can change valves on Lampi to suit any signal path or add another preamp for digital compatibility only.

that’s why Lampi is the only thing retained from previous two systems, all other stuff sold. Many other components bought for trial sold.

Reactions: Lagonda
yes and that is to compare digital. I learned that to evaluate systems I need high quality LPs. I learn. You don’t. That’s the difference. You can evaluate a system through digital signal path, sure, and sometimes end up with an overlap. I am now into records first. That’s where the high quality sound with performance is to recreate realism.

Also, in hifi when you learn one thing and settle with it, you move on to another. Lampi closed my digital choice, nothing more to investigate there.

i want to close my SETs choice now and continue with records. Said that many times
Lets not forget his vintage DD turntable !;)

If the forum donated me a million, I would put 700k in records, 150k in gear to play those records, 75k to experiment with new components, and 75k to travel around for the social part. Maybe more on the last

And the record outlay is high due to cost per record, not just quantity

Lets not forget his vintage DD turntable !;)

oh with old DDs cogging he really won’t appreciate good records. Forgot that.

oh with old DDs cogging he really won’t appreciate good records. Forgot that.
Now, now don't forget he has a coreless slutless motor ! Correction, that was slot-less motor ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: bonzo75
You should use that moniker given after so many years of analog gear you are not into recordings. We already discussed why yesterday. Try to go and learn instead of debating with me
It is a whole sub hobby and is a collectors mentality. I find better use of time like enjoying ones I have, many of which are very good sounding. Being into analog doesn’t inherently lead to going down the recording rabbit hole…maybe your OCD itch needs to be scratched.

You have only taken from others over the years, I’ve watched you bounce around from one absolutist position to another. My evolution came from heavy diet of live classical concerts and practice sessions and making my own recordings, reinforced by good local small jazz clubs. It has guided me in one basic direction. You spin around like a bellwether…what will you tell us is best next year Ked so we can be ready for your barrage?? Oh wait, Stenheim with CH…really? Or was it Soulution pre with tube amps? Or was it only Altec multicell horn with TAD and dual FLH is the one true path? What about those Sigma MAAT speakers? Now Lampizator is out and only tightly curated record collections are in…you “discovered” Apogee long after most of us had been there, done that and got the T-shirt. Same with horns …and SETs…and analog…and about everything else.

It is a whole sub hobby and is a collectors mentality. I find better use of time like enjoying ones I have, many of which are very good sounding. Being into analog doesn’t inherently lead to going down the recording rabbit hole…maybe your OCD itch needs to be scratched.

You have only taken from others over the years, I’ve watched you bounce around from one absolutist position to another. My evolution came from heavy diet of live classical concerts and practice sessions and making my own recordings, reinforced by good local small jazz clubs. It has guided me in one basic direction. You spin around like a bellwether…what will you tell us is best next year Ked so we can be ready for your barrage?? Oh wait, Stenheim with CH…really? Or was it Soulution pre with tube amps? Or was it only Altec multicell horn with TAD and dual FLH is the one true path? What about those Sigma MAAT speakers? Now Lampizator is out and only tightly curated record collections are in…you “discovered” Apogee long after most of us had been there, done that and got the T-shirt. Same with horns …and SETs…and analog…and about everything else.

No you are making all the above up misinterpreting.

when did I say Lampi is out? That is my final digital stop. I have closed my analog gear choices mostly and into records, not collecting. You don’t even know what you are talking about and are extremely intellectually dishonest.

my sets horns is pretty consistent, nothing in Altec, dual FLH, pnoe, etc strategy changing as favourites followed by universum and Devore. They were choices developed listening with better records, some overlap with digital. What’s wrong with liking cH m Stenheim in a small room. Can’t identify with your lack of exposure. Sigma MAAT are great, with SETs . Diesis with Kondo is great as well. I can’t like more than one speaker?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1 and morricab
But if it was a vintage micro-seiki I would be in the cool kids club , right?
I am just messing with you Brad, i almost bought a Kenwood L-O7D the other day to hear what the fuss is all about, but i don't use SET's and would probably not get it anyway ! ;) I was never in love with Micro-Seikis's.

If you talk to Wilson they believe time alignment is way more important than phase alignment.
I would like to read more about this.

It seems a bit opposite what I have read previously, and am open to learn.

Very likely, i consider auditioning systems with only good recordings going to far towards a perfect sound ideal. I like and listen to too much badly recorded music, when only the best recordings sound good you just loose to much wonderful music. :oops: Of course i would not want a system that makes modern pop or rap music sound good, that would be taking it to far ! ;)

you have to find the great performances and the best recordings for those performances, budget depending. Not just great recordings of poor performances, or great performances but poor recordings (listen to those on earphones)

Very likely, i consider auditioning systems with only good recordings going to far towards a perfect sound ideal. I like and listen to too much badly recorded music, when only the best recordings sound good you just loose to much wonderful music. :oops: Of course i would not want a system that makes modern pop or rap music sound good, that would be taking it to far ! ;)
Very much agree Milan that we should audition with a variety of types of performances and a range of qualities of recordings to reveal as much about the component were looking at and how it handles what we might want it to play. No good just feeding it only the great stuff unless we plan to live on a very restricted and at times not always very nourishing diet of music. But definitely as Ked says testing it also with the really great recordings and best performances points to where we can ultimately go with a system.

Very much agree Milan that we should audition with a variety of types of performances and a range of qualities of recordings to reveal as much about the component were looking at and how it handles what we might want it to play. No good just feeding it only the great stuff unless we plan to live on a very restricted and at times not always very nourishing diet of music.

the only reason to have poor pressings of the same performance instead of buying the better one is budget. So that is fine, but it is ridiculous if you are a high spender on gear and spend less buying poorer pressings. They won’t evaluate the gear properly that way either. Not to mention very few on this forum are even into performance, so end up with poor recordings of poor performances, or some audiophile ones (good sound, meaningless performances)

It also makes your claims about what can be learned from videos very contradictory…as those are not only digital…they are lossy digital. You claim some amazing feats from those and have been criticised by some on this forum for it…so much for your consistency of thought.

Good point.

Reactions: morricab
the only reason to have poor pressings of the same performance instead of buying the better one is budget. So that is fine, but it is ridiculous if you are a high spender on gear and spend less buying poorer pressings. They won’t evaluate the gear properly that way either. Not to mention very few on this forum are even into performance, so end up with poor recordings of poor performances, or some audiophile ones (good sound, meaningless performances)
I have 4 different pressings of Supertramp "Live in Paris" , 4 of Poul Simon "Live Rhymin'" and 5 of all Dr. Hook records. Just to find the best pressing, does that count ? ;)

Ah yes sigh… the budget :eek: It’s the cost of getting back into setting up a vinyl library and the logistics of curating a great one with my ideal performances while being end of career budget bound that has kept me from diving back in again… spent too much time thinking about a perfect setup (I do have one sketched out) and what’s required to get the library and how much budget I’d need to write… I think that’s why they call them the reality cheques :rolleyes:.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda
Ah yes sigh… the budget :eek: It’s the cost of getting back into setting up a vinyl library and the logistics of curating a great one with my ideal performances while being end of career budget bound that has kept me from diving back in again… spent too much time thinking about a perfect setup (I do have one sketched out) and what’s required to get the library and how much budget I’d need to write… I think that’s why they call them the reality cheques :rolleyes:.

Just work a few more years, it is good for health as well

Just work a few more years, it is good for health as well
Obviously I blame you for the seduction high point of aspiration for only the best pressings plus Vyger with lt and red sparrow and Ikeda with Dava etc… youve crafted the dream so it’s quite solid and implicit and you’ve set the goal posts quite a ways out for me… I’d have to work a whole other lifetime on top :eek: but it is nice to have the aspiration though.

Last edited:
  • Haha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu