"If you don't have a $200k [speaker]..."

i think you are mistaking what I am saying. Hearing differences between vinyl pressings is the easy thing. But how do you pick up good vinyl? If I show you 10 pressings of the same decca performance, do you know what to look for? How will you pick the one up that’s the best sounding, short of buying all ten? And do you pick up the best LPs and performances?
It’s not rocket science:) You listen and choose what best sounds to your ears on your system and in your room. Very simple and very subjective, but most people would easily choose a better pressing. You are trying to make this an objective act by saying that only 3 people on this forum including yourself with specific experience and gear can do it:) When did you stop being modest?

It’s not rocket science:) You listen and choose what best sounds to your ears on your system and in your room. Very simple and very subjective, but most people would easily choose a better pressing. You are trying to make this an objective act by saying that only 3 people on this forum including yourself with specific experience and gear can do it:) When did you stop being modest?

No, you will never get to listen to those LPs unless you search for them. You are not going to find all pressings in front of you. You have to know what to seek out so you can hear it.

there are many people who know pressings, but they are not in this high end sector regular posters category. They are on other forums, discussing pressings, listening on TD124 or Garrard, small speakers, etc. the ones that I know all dislike Wilson, without exception, unless in the industry, and like horns

Last edited:
You either listen to digital and poor recordings expecting woofer colour to add to your bass, and speaker height to add you scale.

Or you find good recordings, which have better scale than any speaker can deliver, and let the recording be reproduced to get great scale and realism.

for me the second is the better strategy, the first is insert euphemism

You either listen to digital and poor recordings expecting woofer colour to add to your bass, and speaker height to add you scale.

Or you find good recordings, which have better scale than any speaker can deliver, and let the recording be reproduced to get great scale and realism.

for me the second is the better strategy, the first is insert euphemism
I agree, but it’s not that difficult to find good recordings. You can use Arthur Salvatore’s supreme recording list as a starting point: http://www.high-endaudio.com/supreme.html. I have a few lps from this list and they all sound very very good.

Reactions: morricab and Lee
I agree, but it’s not that difficult to find good recordings. You can use Arthur Salvatore’s supreme recording list as a starting point: http://www.high-endaudio.com/supreme.html. I have a few lps from this list and they all sound very very good.

that’s how I started. It is difficult to find good recordings crossed with performances.

and after you have a decent collection of good recordings, if you start auditioning again, you might change your approach. Problem is everyone upgrades gear first and then gets into recordings, by that time they are auditioning the recordings on the gear they have bought using bad records, while ideally they would pick out good recordings and then use them to audition gear

Reactions: Marcus
that’s how I started. It is difficult to find good recordings crossed with performances.

and after you have a decent collection of good recordings, if you start auditioning again, you might change your approach. Problem is everyone upgrades gear first and then gets into recordings, by that time they are auditioning the recordings on the gear they have bought using bad records, while ideally they would pick out good recordings and then use them to audition gear

Speak for yourself Ked.

I bought albums first, the indulgent hifi came afterwards when I could afford to.

For some audiophiles, music and hifi seem to be a hobby which some just leave.

For me it's an important part of my life - the music that is. The hifi is creme.

7000 albums later, I still get a thrill buying new release albums.

Reactions: hogen and Lagonda
Speak for yourself Ked.

I bought albums first, the indulgent hifi came afterwards when I could afford to.

For some audiophiles, music and hifi seem to be a hobby which some just leave.

For me it's an important part of my life - the music that is. The hifi is creme.

7000 albums later, I still get a thrill buying new release albums.

I did not talk about new releases or old release. I mentioned good quality LPs. Afaik, you are not into classical. So we don’t have acting in common.

Music new to the world may not be new to you. Picking up current generation music is what we did as kids. As we grow older, we should pick music that is new to us, quality, and proven the test of time.

• Haha
Reactions: pjwd and XV-1
I did not talk about new releases or old release. I mentioned good quality LPs. Afaik, you are not into classical. So we don’t have acting in common.

Music new to the world may not be new to you. Picking up current generation music is what we did as kids. As we grow older, we should pick music that is new to us, quality, and proven the test of time.

Oh Ked. You are so my great grandparents.

I like all music, including classical. I don't pigeon hole myself on one genre. It would certainly be cheaper.

It's quite enlightening digging the same music as my daughters, although they hate most of my music.

I am currently in Italy on holidays and the only thing I miss is good music thru the big rig. We stumbled across some live Techo in Monopoli - I felt refreshed in the morning.

For me, it's open your mind and live an enlightened life.

Reactions: Al M.
Oh Ked. You are so my great grandparents.

I like all music, including classical. I don't pigeon hole myself on one genre. It would certainly be cheaper.

It's quite enlightening digging the same music as my daughters, although they hate most of my music.

Open your mind.

I did.

it might be good from a fathering perspective, but if you want to keep up with your kids instead of listening to same music try to play the same sport, run with them, when they go to the gym, you go too.

your grandparents sound cool. Where did the gene go

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1
I did.

it might be good from a fathering perspective, but if you want to keep up with your kids instead of listening to music try to play the same sport, run with them, when they go to the gym, you go too.

your grandparents sound cool. Where did the gene go

Having a bad day Ked. Look after yourself.

Reactions: cal3713
That's a very good list. Been bookmarked on my browser for a long time.

maybe start with that, the TAS list, MF has a list…baby steps…compared to the Peter McGrath recordings you are listening to now and analog productions, which is decent reissues for jazz, poor for classical even comparing to the same pieces from classic records

Reactions: moby2004
Reactions: Lee
I respect your opinion as my experience is only a fraction of yours, but there are other people here with as much experience as yours with serious vinyl gear and record collections, who do not hear these issues.
Once you hear the issues, you cannot unhear them. However, if, for whatever reason, you don't hear the issues then you might be able to appreciate the other strengths of the speaker, like low distortion and relatively high dynamics for a non-horn speaker.

These lists are great examples of why most musicians and many music lovers are not audiophiles… it’s the audiophile albums we subject ourselves to… there’s an awful lot of mundane musical torture in many of those selections… and not just for scaring off (or is it scarring) classical and jazz lovers but then 5 Dead Can Dance albums for the lovers of contemporary music… :eek:

0A8E5F3A-A098-430D-877E-282EE78D5298.gif

Last edited:
This is funny. I started collecting records at the age of 10. I have always considered myself a record collector first audiophile second. There was even the intermediary DJ phase. That was where the funniness started. We would conceal the labels so other "crews" wouldn't know what we had. Ah the days before Shazam and Sound Hound. LOL

Every day that passes out of print record numbers decrease in quality (from wear) and quantity. Collectors will rarely share their sources and sellers will always give priority to serious customers that appreciate the LPs and will care for them. There are some speculators out there, I've met a couple, but in the scheme of things I would think they are rarer than the records they sell. Again, it's a demographic thing. Nobody can beat father time.

Sadly these days, estate sales will give you the best chance to acquire good records in any large quantity. It's just the nature of collecting "antiques" in general. I've been able to get NM/NMs, sometimes sealed copies, owned be people who were simply music lovers with modest mass market gear.

I told my kids that if they don't have any interest in my collection going forward to seek the advice of three people who will advise them properly on the value but it is my wish that the collection go in bulk or separately to people that will try to keep them for the future. I said the same for my wine collection but it looks like the trend of my drinking them faster than I can age them won't be changing any time soon LOL At this stage I have slowed down on software purchases quite a bit as I play catch up.

Starting out, I asked my collecting mentor (he went CD) why he had sooooooo many CDs. He said "Son, what is the point of having a library where you've read all the books?". That made me laugh really hard. He had a point! Well, I decided to start reading more and buying less and going for only shall we say better vintages. Now if you expect me to say on a public forum what LPs I'm looking out for, you are out of your minds. I am not alerting any sharks! LOL

A new batch of Natural Sound initiates recently returned from Cedar City, Utah ?

1692194852272.gif

You are mistaken. These are the people who hide their identity, can’t get invited to Cedar City, Utah, and despite their best efforts, can’t understand or achieve natural sound. They now roam WBF searching, always searching. The guy kneeling in the lower left worships the HIEND.

• Haha
Reactions: tima and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu