in the market for a turntable....

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
so I'm looking for a nice TT.. looking for a bit of advice, currently I'm going back and forth between a Rega P10 and a Thorens 1600..

I've read some topics on Rega and it seems their engineering philosophy is not really accepted.. weirdest thing is they put the motor on the plinth.. the power supply is seperate... the motor isn't.. seems to me you would better get a TT with a separate motor or a suspended TT where the motor is disconnected from the platter and tonearm? to limit the noise...

I'm not looking for crazy expensive TT's cause well.. needs to be in sync with rest of my system..

Klipsch Cornwall IV & Dartzeel 8550 MK II (with mc phono)

On the other hand I'm also eyeballing a clearaudio innovation TT5 but that's well... a lot more expensive.. and I guess you have the law of diminishing returns

anyone that can shine his light?

Thanks !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
so I'm looking for a nice TT.. looking for a bit of advice, currently I'm going back and forth between a Rega P10 and a Thorens 1600..

I've read some topics on Rega and it seems their engineering philosophy is not really accepted.. weirdest thing is they put the motor on the plinth.. the power supply is seperate... the motor isn't.. seems to me you would better get a TT with a separate motor or a suspended TT where the motor is disconnected from the platter and tonearm? to limit the noise...

I'm not looking for crazy expensive TT's cause well.. needs to be in sync with rest of my system..

On the other hand I'm also eyeballing a clearaudio innovation TT5 but that's well... a lot more expensive.. and I guess you have the law of diminishing returns

Thanks !
Hi germinal,
I had a Rega P10 with Apheta 3 mounted on a Rega TT wall shelf (TT bought brand new from a Rega Reference Dealer with a Rega Aura Phono Stage). I have recently sold the P10 with Apheta 3 and the Rega Aura.

I bought my dream (since the last 5+ years) TT set-up in July gone a 1 owner excellent condition 2019 Kuzma XL DC with Kuzma 4Point 11" from a Kuzma Dealer in Norway and a new My Sonic Lab Eminent Ex cartridge from the same Dealer to complete the package.

I wanted to change my Rega P10 as I primarily listen to music via my headphone system (Hifiman EF1000 with Susvara headphones) rather than my speakers. My headphone system is very sensitive to noise in the system and therefore could hear a hum when the Rega RB 3000 tonearm got closer to the record spindle and hence the TT motor as well as further hum from my Rega Aura Phono Stage (which I have also recently sold). Through my UK system speakers (Focal Electra 1008 Be's), at normal playing levels the hum I was experiencing with my headphone system I couldn't hear through my speakers.

I contacted both the Rega Reference Dealer I bought the P10 & Aura from (bought together) and Rega themselves about the hum problem. Basically the Dealer told me the hum I was experiencing through my headphone system is an inherent design problem with Rega TT's as the Rega cartridges are unshielded and so is the motor which is close to the record spindle. Rega themselves told me to turn down the volume if I am hearing hum ! lol

The difference in sound quality and the sound itself between the Rega P10 (a lightweight / low mass plinth design on a lightweight shelf) and Kuzma XL DC (a high mass, heavy weight design standing on a heavy weight solid platform) is night and day through both my headphone system and my speakers (the Hifiman EF1000 can run headphones and speakers).

Using the Rega Aura for both TT's;
The P10 sounds very light and airy and 2D with a thin very clear digital type of sound with an even sound across the frequencies. Bass is ok, but not earth shattering. It is difficult to hear differences in venues where the music id being played.
The XL DC sounds very planted, solid, 3D / holographic with an amazing deep bass, sweet mids and extended but not thin highs. You can easily hear the differences in venue's even through the Rega Aura.

If I was you, I wouldn't buy the P10. Instead buy a second hand Kuzma Stabi S TT with a Kuzma Tonearm (best one you can afford) with either a Kuzma cartridge or a cartridge of your choice to match your Phono Stage (best one you can afford).

I also had the Rega RP10 with Rega Aria MK1 & MK2 Phono Stages (bought second hand) before the P10 & Aura. A good set-up with my speakers (I didn't have my EF1000 & Susvaras then) but I wished I had bought the Kuzma S TT then instead.

Hope the above helps in making your decision.

Reactions: germinal

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@germinal your system appears to be pretty cool ( Dart + Klipsch certainly a bit unique ) so pushing a little in the budget dept will probably pay off; but I most certainly understand limits :)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I think @bonzo75 has made some very astute recommends in his blog writings for great but not 'uber' tables....

Reactions: bonzo75

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Thanks !
The td 1600 with tp 92 tonearm are really great, i have heard it ortofon ludwig van beethoven mm cart. Buy please 10" version tonearm that have 14 gram mass is better compatible if possible on the player. Pity that you have only mc the beethoven is bargain.not really a problem there enough good mc carts outhere. Ortofon_2m_black_lvb_250_side.jpg
P.S a Nottingham ace spacedeck turntable ist great for the money

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
most of the recommendations from me and others for a similar budget TT upgrade from Rega have been covered on this thread

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Kedar and I like the simple and inexpensive Dr. Feickert turntable.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I have RP10 with the Aphelion cartridge and it sounds great to me. Rega's philosophy of building light-weight TT's is contrary to the mainstream but I think I would need to spend considerably more money to hear a significant difference. At the present time I spend most of my time listening to digital formats so I have no desire to "upgrade."

Reactions: germinal

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
VPI has the market covered from top to bottom. They have hat you need at at a reasonable price. there is room to grow with accessories. They also make a pretty decent arm. You can chose your own arm if you like. fully tricked out VPI Aries three.

Reactions: tony22

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
TW Acustic Raven GT2 is a nice pairing with your darTZeel CTH-8550 MkII. I have a few clients who enjoy that exact combination.
View attachment 99239
A fine looking turntable and I’m sure sounds great too. Mpingo discs on the armboards can be more effective when placed on side, white dot pointing up and writings pointing front.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing