installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

Hmm, I've JUST invested in Rhodium Furutech duplexes, these nano beauties will have to wait for the next inexorable pull on my resources - a while yet I hope LOL!

I prefer them mounted with the ground pin up, like the lettering on it suggests. The reason is that they hold much better since they're a little soft to start with.

Thanks again Folsom. Switching the plug orientation supports heavy plugs much better...

Attachments

• gtx_ncf1.jpg
    gtx_ncf1.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 763
  • gtx_ncf12.jpg
    gtx_ncf12.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 776
Although I don't have the newer Furutech AC outlets I do have 11 of the older version. When I installed mine I had the electrician mount them sideways for the same reason and have not had a problem with heavy PC's

Although I don't have the newer Furutech AC outlets I do have 11 of the older version. When I installed mine I had the electrician mount them sideways for the same reason and have not had a problem with heavy PC's

The rest of my outlets are GTX-Rhodium. We shall see if I notice a difference with the NCF before considering upgrading the other outlets for source. I think the power amps are probably the best place to start.

The rest of my outlets are GTX-Rhodium. We shall see if I notice a difference with the NCF before considering upgrading the other outlets for source. I think the power amps are probably the best place to start.

That would be my choice as well Chris

When I switched from Rhodium to Gold I did my amps first

I was trying to remain consistent with the way the standard outlets are in my house. I will try flipping it like you suggest.

Suggest not. Per Joe Pitman, ground wire should be at the bottom to relieve potential "stress" on the ground wire (very stiff) and make sure it remains firmly intact over time. Think about it. Makes alot of sense to me.

I actually noticed a bigger improvement when I installed my first NFC and plugged the ARC Ref 10 preamp and phono into it. Didn't really get much more after I installed 2 more NFCs and plugged the amps into them. As I said earlier though, performance improvements with the installation of the first NFC were extraordinary.

Suggest not. Per Joe Pitman, ground wire should be at the bottom to relieve potential "stress" on the ground wire (very stiff) and make sure it remains firmly intact over time. Think about it. Makes alot of sense to me.

Stress on the ground wire attached to the receptacle ? I don't buy that. There is no stress on the wire either up or down. The outlet itself is locked in place. Not really following your logic.

10 of my power cords are very lightweight; the Absolute Fidelity power cords. with these there is virtually zero stress on the plug to work loose.

however; my 2 amplifier power cords. the Evolution TRPC (triple run power cords), are very heavy. with those I have floor supports for them to take away their tendancy to pull out.

here is a picture of those supports for those power cords; this is an old picture showing the old plugs. my point is simply that there are many ways to remove the stress on plugs. heavy power cords do require some thought to eliminate them coming loose.

fini-speaker__power__interconnect_cables_(1_of_1).jpg

If you're wiring to code the wire will be supported/anchored to the wall within a certain distance from the receptacle to prevent any stress on the wiring. There should be absolutely NO stress on wire where it connects to a switch or receptacle.

The GTX receptacles are designed to play nicely with plated male AC plugs, which is why the grip isn't nearly as much as hospital grade outlets, they will scratch off the plating and actually dig into the base metal over time. GTX receptacles will not damage the plating on AC plugs. Furutech could have made the clamping force as high as they wanted, there is a stainless steel spring that provides the clamping force as pure copper is too soft.

Does not to me. The ground wire in the cords are not stiffer. The two prongs on the bottom provide more side to side stability which prevent the top from wiggling out. That's what happens when they're mounted with ground down, it has no side to side stability at the bottom so they wiggle themselves right out. I'd say there's more stress on the ground with it down because the top isn't secure so the ground isn't going straight in since the whole unit is wiggling out.

Installed 3 NCF R receptacles , replacing the GTX D (R) . These have been cooked for a week , will give them the mandatory settling in period and report back . Fingers crossed !

If you're wiring to code the wire will be supported/anchored to the wall within a certain distance from the receptacle to prevent any stress on the wiring. There should be absolutely NO stress on wire where it connects to a switch or receptacle.

The GTX receptacles are designed to play nicely with plated male AC plugs, which is why the grip isn't nearly as much as hospital grade outlets, they will scratch off the plating and actually dig into the base metal over time. GTX receptacles will not damage the plating on AC plugs. Furutech could have made the clamping force as high as they wanted, there is a stainless steel spring that provides the clamping force as pure copper is too soft.

Well it maybe true if you pull out and push in a lot of times. But how many times would you do it?

Well it maybe true if you pull out and push in a lot of times. But how many times would you do it?

IDK.. I've seen plugs scratched all the way through the plating with ONE insertion into a new hospital grade receptacle. Truth is hospital grade receptacles ruin plated male AC plugs.

IDK.. I've seen plugs scratched all the way through the plating with ONE insertion into a new hospital grade receptacle. Truth is hospital grade receptacles ruin plated male AC plugs.

Ok. But I prefer firmer grip. I am worried the grip may not be strong enough that as times goes by, gravity slowly pulls the plug out partially. I have seen it quite a few times.

I quite like the new receptacles in Shunyata Triton V2. It provides a firm and nice grip.

Ok. But I prefer firmer grip. I am worried the grip may not be strong enough that as times goes by, gravity slowly pulls the plug out partially. I have seen it quite a few times.

I quite like the new receptacles in Shunyata Triton V2. It provides a firm and nice grip.

Oyaide R-1's have the 'killer' grip. they use a very strong alloy spring that tears up the plating on the plugs. you have to really push hard to plug them in and then pull hard to remove them. much more grip than the hospital versions of the generic outlets.

but they sound like crap compared to the 'old' Furutech GTX-D and especially compared to the new NCF versions. it turns out that pure copper metallurgy is multiples of degrees more significant to the performance than the grip.

I respect that you like a firm grip on your plugs. but your priorities are miss placed IMHO....and there are lots of R-1's out there to buy 'used' from folks who have moved on from them.

there are many ways to overcome the tendency for a plug to slip out of an outlet....if you happen to have heavy power cables. rig up a brace, or maybe a simple elevator of some sort. it's not complicated and your ears will thank you.

The feel of a firm grip is reassuring but seeing damaged plating on plugs is really disappointing and imo you can trust Furutech to properly engineer the receptacles. The GTX units use a separate stainless steel spring clip to provide clamping force, it won't get weaker over time and the truth is Furutech could have made the GTX with any amount of grip they wanted to, they chose the grip force they did, it was not left to chance.

Hopefully the receptacles in your Triton will not damage the plating on your plugs over time, and there's a 99.9% chance the GTX NCF receptacles are head-and-shoulders above them anyways, there is no other receptacle on the market that comes even close to the GTX right now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu