installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
That's why I made a bunch of male-to-male AC cables so I can burn them in on my cable cooker.
A male-to-male AC cable? I hope that's a typo. Just one mistake and you're a candidate for a Darwin Award. You could easily have full line voltage on the exposed pins.

There's an old story about people going into hardware stores this time of year looking for male-to-male adapters to hook-up their Christmas lights.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
A male-to-male AC cable? I hope that's a typo. Just one mistake and you're a candidate for a Darwin Award. You could easily have full line voltage on the exposed pins.

There's an old story about people going into hardware stores this time of year looking for male-to-male adapters to hook-up their Christmas lights.

They're used in a cable cooker, not for AC use. It allows me to daisy-chain a bunch of receptacles and burn them in, it works great. I'm not selling them to anyone, I don't have kids, and I'm a big boy and can make my own decisions.

Christmas lights require a regular 'ol extension cord.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Mike, did you (or any forum members here) get a change to compare Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) with AudioQuest NRG Edison outlets? If so, what were your impressions?

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I'm not familiar with the AQ Edison NRG outlets, sorry.

maybe other have.
Mike, how about Cardas 4181US? Ever got a chance to test that one? Anyone?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, how about Cardas 4181US? Ever got a chance to test that one? Anyone?

I've not directly compared outlets since I upgraded from the Oyaide R-1 to the Furutech GTX-D (R) in 2011. when I did that I had my dealer Joe install half with the GTX-D (R) and then I compared directly. it as not close. with the NCF upgrade last year I upgraded in steps so did have the opportunity to do some A/B'ing. but otherwise I've not ventured into duplex outlet investigations. I was very happy, and continue to be happy, with how all the Furutech NCF products sound.

my dealer Joe is now telling me about the new Furutech NCF outlet cover......which he will be receiving today and reporting to me about. assuming he hears what I expect he will i'll add those to my system soon. I've been a tourmaline fan for many years and appreciate how Furutech has applied it to our power grids with the NCF line of products. and I already liked the Furutech approach of mechanical solidness and pure copper contacts in their outlets.

NCF cover.jpg

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
[my dealer Joe is now telling me about the new Furutech NCF outlet cover......which he will be receiving today and reporting to me about. assuming he hears what I expect he will i'll add those to my system soon. I've been a tourmaline fan for many years and appreciate how Furutech has applied it to our power grids with the NCF line of products. and I already liked the Furutech approach of mechanical solidness and pure copper contacts in their outlets.
View attachment 30462 [/QUOTE]
Mike, I am VERY curious about this NCF outlet cover. Please share your feedback when and if you have them installed and listened.

What about GTX wall plates? Are those in your outlets now or not yet? If you've had them for a while in your outlets, could you please describe the impact on the sound in your rig?

Thanks for sharing all this!:)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The new outlet cover is amazing, so is the NCF receptacle its self.

I replaced my GTX + cover with the NCF versions using the wall plate, which is carried over from before. The sound is clearer, the noise floor is reduced and dynamics are better defined. All this, and the GTX was already head and shoulders better than anything else before the NCF versions even came out.

ayreman, I have not tried the specific receptacles you mentioned but some time ago did a comprehensive test and the GTX was easily the winner as it's the only receptacle with pure copper contacts. If I start hearing that a competitor has come close or beaten the GTX NCF I'll give it a try but it's very likely to be a waste of time and money.

If you get the new NCF components a couple of caveats...

- The teflon gasket that comes with the wall plate is no longer used, you can just toss it.

- The new cover overlaps the edges of the wall plate instead of sitting inside it, this is totally normal and done intentionally.

- There is a gap between the cover and receptacle when using the wall plate, this is also intentional and what you want to do is put a bit of tension on the screw that holds the cover on, but I did not crank down on it until the cover is touching the receptacle, just put a bit of tension in the cover.

- If you don't already have the entire setup, the NCF receptacle, NCF cover and wall plate are available from select Furutech dealers at promotional pricing right now... there are limited quantities available for 20% off! (See my signature, I have only one set left for sale).

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
DaveC, to properly install GTX-D NCF (R) I need that box that goes into the wall first (and the receptacle goes into that box). Some members here mentioned that GTX-D NCF (R) doesn't fit into the "standard" box. Can you recommend the one that will work well and that's good quality (maybe even "audiophile" quality;))? If I do take the plunge I need to have everything done perfectly!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
DaveC, to properly install GTX-D NCF (R) I need that box that goes into the wall first (and the receptacle goes into that box). Some members here mentioned that GTX-D NCF (R) doesn't fit into the "standard" box. Can you recommend the one that will work well and that's good quality (maybe even "audiophile" quality;))? If I do take the plunge I need to have everything done perfectly!

If you go with the wall plate the receptacle doesn't sit all the way inside the box... The GTX is large but it's the same form factor as P&S heavy-duty receptacles so it's a standard installation for a great majority of situations.

The wall plate is installed with the same screws that normally hold the receptacle to the box, then the receptacle screws down to the wall frame using 4 supplied M3 screws. It's straightforward and should be no problem anywhere a receptacle is currently installed.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mike L, Dave C,

Are you using rubber grommets around the NCF receptacles to isolate the ground of the receptacles ftom the ground of your isolation transformer or circuit breaker box, as the case may be?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ron, if you wanted to float the ground you wouldn't connect it at all. In either case don't do that, and... don't do that.

If you're meaning that the box the receptacle is connected (mounted) to can ground the unit, that's only true if you have metal conduit. In which case you would have an odd problem when using an isolation transformer because the safety ground first goes to the center tap of the transformer, and that is connected to safety earth. Having conduit would create another unnecessary path for more noise. The potential & impedance for the ground is lower at the center tap I believe, so you have a better ground, but it's ready for a lightening strike since it's tied to safety earth. Essentially there's less noise than safety ground may typically have without the balanced transformer setup.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike L, Dave C,

Are you using rubber grommets around the NCF receptacles to isolate the ground of the receptacles ftom the ground of your isolation transformer or circuit breaker box, as the case may be?

Joe Pittman has installed all my outlets, so i'll alert him to your question and have him answer it and related ones as far as my system goes. I don't mess with high voltage installs.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Joe Pittman has installed all my outlets, so i'll alert him to your question and have him answer it and related ones as far as my system goes. I don't mess with high voltage installs.

Thanks Mike....I just received 3 sets of 105D NCFs, backing plate, cover plate, etc...and will be installing them soon. If you or someone else would let me know if they would fit into a retrofit/"reno" 3-gang box intact (i.e. using the backing plates and all parts) or if I have to have this redone/reframed in-wall with single-duplex retrofit/"reno" boxes, I would appreciate it very much!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have plastic boxes so it's a non-issue.

But if you do have metal boxes you still need to ground the receptacle AND box to code. This shouldn't be an issue...

Joe Pittman

Sep 14, 2010
Seattle, Washington USA
www.kosmic.us

I have not found any UL rated boxes where the GTX outlets don't fit in.

Joe Pittman

Sep 14, 2010
Seattle, Washington USA
www.kosmic.us
The new Furutech 105-D NCF covers are really awesome. They are my new reference.

For those who have existing GTX Wall Plate installed with the Teflon Damping Foil, I'm not sure if you need to remove it. I need to do some comparative listening. If others have done some comparisons I'd be interested in comments.

The new 105-D NCF does not sit in the GTX Wall Plate like the 104-D cover did, so the Teflon Damping Foil is no longer needed technically. However, the foil may be adding additional damping without doing any harm... So don't be quick to discard it yet.

The new 105-D NCF cover makes contact with the raised perimeter of the GTX Wall Plate and is now coupled to it allowing a direct path for resonance/vibration to travel and then damped. The coupling of the GTX-D NCF outlet at the mounting screw also allows resonance/vibration to travel into the cover. See how the screw is connected at the Damping Clamp at the outlet http://www.kosmic.us/furutech-gtx-dr-ncf.html

The combination of NCF technology and the Neo Damper is excellent. I suspect the cover is also providing a clamping force similar to Furutech's Axial Locking System. See http://www.kosmic.us/furutech-e-tp309-ncf.html

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Joe, thank you for the update! Could you describe what differences you've heard switching from 104-D to 105-D NCF?

Joe Pittman

Sep 14, 2010
Seattle, Washington USA
www.kosmic.us
Joe, thank you for the update! Could you describe what differences you've heard switching from 104-D to 105-D NCF?

The first impression was increased dynamics, both macro and micro, which really surprised me. Increased jump factor/slam.

Reduced noise floor and increased transparency, the ambient environment was just quieter, very cool. Increased ease, with greater reality/suspension of disbelief. We kill for this.

A profound increase in bass and extension, I needed to tweak my speakers bass output and crossover point. I'm still amazed on how something as trivial as an "outlet cover" can have such an impact on the systems sound (for the better). I suspect that systems with powerful bass create acoustical feedback into the outlet (regardless of level). Much of this acoustical feedback has gone away. Distortions like this aren't apparent until they are gone (I am speculating here).

As usual, these are just my thoughts, I am still trying to get my head around these. YMMV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing