Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Taiko-Olympus-big-advert.png

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
Taiko has already entered the DAC business, with its XDMI DAC analog out board, I heard it in Munich. I hope one day it makes the absolute best DAC in the market. Probably taking the whole Olympus I/O box could be a good place for its next generation, hopefully all-out DAC.

However, I understand the other DAC brands will still have a place since people have different preferences. For example, I doubt that Taiko will make a tube DAC, like the Lampizator Horizon. So the other DACs provide different flavors for the clients to choose.

Until Taiko’s DAC works outside of their server (Olympus or whatever comes after) I would not consider them in the DAC market.

Until Taiko’s DAC works outside of their server (Olympus or whatever comes after) I would not consider them in the DAC market.
To clarify what I meant: clearly the success of Olympus and the analog out card will determine the effort Emile thinks is worth putting into it. It's quite possible giving Olympus owners the option of adding the equivalent of a full featured DAC will be the way to go. It might also be where Emile thinks he can best improve sound quality. And who am I to question his great successes? It's possible, even likely, he'll make breakthroughs in DAC technology too. However, all things being equal, giving the card all the features of a standalone DAC will require regular software and hardware updates and turn the card into an expensive, dedicated product line. This will increase the cost of obtaining it and necessitate the focus of new or existing resources to developing, building and marketing it. As of now, the team is working 24/7 just to meet server demand. Obviously, I'm not qualified to opine on what Taiko should focus on, despite the fact that I just did. So my opinion is probably me just being selfish because I love what they're doing with servers, and want that to continue, and want my Olympus ASAP. :)

Reactions: ctydwn and TWJeff
To clarify what I meant: clearly the success of Olympus and the analog out card will determine the effort Emile thinks is worth putting into it. It's quite possible giving Olympus owners the option of adding the equivalent of a full featured DAC will be the way to go. It might also be where Emile thinks he can best improve sound quality. And who am I to question his great successes? It's possible, even likely, he'll make breakthroughs in DAC technology too. However, all things being equal, giving the card all the features of a standalone DAC will require regular software and hardware updates and turn the card into an expensive, dedicated product line. This will increase the cost of obtaining it and necessitate the focus of new or existing resources to developing, building and marketing it. As of now, the team is working 24/7 just to meet server demand. Obviously, I'm not qualified to opine on what Taiko should focus on, despite the fact that I just did. So my opinion is probably me just being selfish because I love what they're doing with servers, and want that to continue, and want my Olympus ASAP. :)

Agreed. I was actually responding to someone else’s comment!

Reactions: joet
This for me is an absolute enigma. According to what has been published, the DACs will not have to be sent to Cyprus, this implies that one of the three inputs available on the DACs will have to be used: Spdif, AES/EBU or USB and even though Stavros is a genius, how is he going to What to do to avoid damaging the XDMI interface with any of those entries?
I have an idea but it's pure speculation, so l will send you a private message.

What remote device will be recommend for the Olympus ?
Not sure if that was tested at Taiko.

I have the 2 older ipads , The newer plays better with Extreme than the older one.
But Win based i7 16GB ram laptop is a way better than both those ipads .
I cant escape feeling that the remote we use is as important as the switch and router together
For ultimate SQ .

Last edited:
What remote device will be recommend for the Olympus ?
Not sure if that was tested at Taiko.

I have the 2 older ipads , The newer plays better with Extreme than the older one.
But Win based i7 16GB ram laptop is a way better than both those ipads .
I cant escape filling that the remote we use is as important as the switch and router together
For ultimate SQ .
Kris how so in regard to laptop? Better response, less glitches? Or more to it?

Kris how so in regard to laptop? Better response, less glitches? Or more to it?

It just presents the music more accurate in every aspect.
Not sure why is that (processing speed ?)
But it makes a very significant difference.
You should try also the Android phone
I used Samsung .
It is also extremely good.

I hope Taiko Team will investigate that and propose best solutions we can use or buy.

Reactions: engadin and John T
I used Samsung .

I hope Taiko Team will investigate that and propose best solutions we can use or buy.
I exclusively have been using a 8th generation 17.5.1 ipad. A bit glitchy. Just switched to a Dell i7 16GB laptop, I'll let you know what I think. I have 2 laptops so one could be a dedicated remote. Interesting point on your part...

Reactions: ctydwn and Kris
I used Samsung .

I'm curious how are you comparing these? I wanted to see if I could replicate your result, but don't seem to. I just played a couple of tracks using my iPad Air (2021 vintage), then played these same tracks using my Windows 10 PC i7 16GB RAM device. No discernible difference in SQ to my ears.

I'm curious how are you comparing these? I wanted to see if I could replicate your result, but don't seem to. I just played a couple of tracks using my iPad Air (2021 vintage), then played these same tracks using my Windows 10 PC i7 16GB RAM device. No discernible difference in SQ to my ears.
All devices connected independently via wifi.
But remember to click DISCONNECT in Roon once you switch devices.
Than you have to connect once you use it again.
In this case Roon is connected to 1 remote device.

If you hear no difference you might be lucky to have very stabile SQ performance.

Last edited:
But remember to clinic DISCONNECT in Roon once you switch devices.

If you hear no difference you might be lucky to have very stabile SQ performance.
You lost me, which doesn't take much effort. Clinic Disconnect? Meaning only one active core open? Can you elaborate?

I cant escape feeling that the remote we use is as important as the switch and router together
For ultimate SQ .
I think if the remote had anything close to this kind of influence on sq that Emile and company would have been on to it by now.

I would love to be proven wrong!

Reactions: John T and Armsan
This for me is an absolute enigma. According to what has been published, the DACs will not have to be sent to Cyprus, this implies that one of the three inputs available on the DACs will have to be used: Spdif, AES/EBU or USB and even though Stavros is a genius, how is he going to What to do to avoid damaging the XDMI interface with any of those entries?

I am also interested in how the Taiko HDMI interface will be implemented by Aries Cerat. The only info I have seen is that A/C will be making a separate box with its own power supply that will take XDMI in and then interface with their DAC through one of the existing inputs. A/C’s implementation of AES and SPDIF cannot receive anything above 96k sample rate. With streamed file resolution up to 192k, this is very short sited in my opinion. I only use that AES input for CD transport where files are 44.1k. It does work well for that and sounds good. But if it had been implemented to the AES/EBU standard that accepts files up to 192k I would have used it for streaming as in my system AES sounds better to me than USB. I realize this is all dependent on cables as well. My USB cable is several times more expensive than my AES cable. Yet I still have a slight preference for the sound of the AES interface.

If it is true that one of the existing A/C DAC inputs will be used, it is most likely that the Aries Cerat XDMI interface box will be an XDMI to USB converter. Which will still necessitate conversion from XDMI to USB, a USB driver, USB cable and USB receiver in the signal path. The idea of spending on an XDMI to USB converter box is not very appealing to me. I’m under the impression that the Taiko XDMI interface was designed specifically as an optimized digital audio interface in order to eliminate the need to use USB with its inherent limitations for audio use. While maintaining the ability to transmit all hi-resolution PCM and DSD formats.

As a Kassandra 2 DAC user who is thrilled with its analog sound, I’m hopeful that A/C will implement an end-to-end XDMI solution. Their use of R2R ladder DAC’s and a transformer coupled, capacitorless triode output stage sounds truly analog to me.

It will be interesting to see what Taiko comes up with for the design of their XDMI analog output stage. Both FET and BJT circuitry are capable of being designed so the second order harmonic is dominant with each consecutive order halving in amplitude and with anything above the fourth order buried in the noise floor. If this is the case with the XDMI analog option, I could see it giving DAC’s with a tube output stage a serious run for their money.

But remember to clinic DISCONNECT in Roon once you switch devices.

OK, I'm using XDMS, not Roon, so my trials may not be relevant.

I think if the remote had anything close to this kind of influence on sq that Emile and company would have been on to it by now.

Emile and team posted a lot about it when the router was first released. If memory serves, and it often doesn't, they said that only one client device should be attached to the router at a time and you should limit the number of applications on the client. I don't recall them mentioning anything about rebooting the client or router when changing devices or anything about Roon. Of course, it doesn't mean there isn't any benefit. They also mentioned that the client device did have an impact on SQ. They also said certain iPad models sounded better than others. I forget which ones and what they said about Android tablets or laptops. I don't recall them saying the impact was profound. Personally, I don't think I've heard a significant difference when I've switched clients. But I don't think my hearing is as sensitive as others in the forum.

They did that with Extreme some time ago
As far as I remember.
Ed was mentioning something like:
Android phone was nr1
Current IPad was nr 2
Older iPad was nr 3
Windows was not existing in that comparison.

Wil . Please don't try it !

Reactions: Armsan
You lost me, which doesn't take much effort. Clinic Disconnect? Meaning only one active core open? Can you elaborate?

Click
Disconnect ( from the core) on the remote settings.

Connecting is identical to first time connection . It will just pop up your Roon core
you click connect .

Reactions: John T
I am also interested in how the Taiko HDMI interface will be implemented by Aries Cerat. The only info I have seen is that A/C will be making a separate box with its own power supply that will take XDMI in and then interface with their DAC through one of the existing inputs. A/C’s implementation of AES and SPDIF cannot receive anything above 96k sample rate. With streamed file resolution up to 192k, this is very short sited in my opinion. I only use that AES input for CD transport where files are 44.1k. It does work well for that and sounds good. But if it had been implemented to the AES/EBU standard that accepts files up to 192k I would have used it for streaming as in my system AES sounds better to me than USB. I realize this is all dependent on cables as well. My USB cable is several times more expensive than my AES cable. Yet I still have a slight preference for the sound of the AES interface.

If it is true that one of the existing A/C DAC inputs will be used, it is most likely that the Aries Cerat XDMI interface box will be an XDMI to USB converter. Which will still necessitate conversion from XDMI to USB, a USB driver, USB cable and USB receiver in the signal path. The idea of spending on an XDMI to USB converter box is not very appealing to me. I’m under the impression that the Taiko XDMI interface was designed specifically as an optimized digital audio interface in order to eliminate the need to use USB with its inherent limitations for audio use. While maintaining the ability to transmit all hi-resolution PCM and DSD formats.

As a Kassandra 2 DAC user who is thrilled with its analog sound, I’m hopeful that A/C will implement an end-to-end XDMI solution. Their use of R2R ladder DAC’s and a transformer coupled, capacitorless triode output stage sounds truly analog to me.

It will be interesting to see what Taiko comes up with for the design of their XDMI analog output stage. Both FET and BJT circuitry are capable of being designed so the second order harmonic is dominant with each consecutive order halving in amplitude and with anything above the fourth order buried in the noise floor. If this is the case with the XDMI analog option, I could see it giving DAC’s with a tube output stage a serious run for their money.
I agree that the partial report of Aries Cerat’s approach to XDMI raises eyebrows. How can this work? Maybe it has something to do with a solution more complimentary to their DAC’s voicing/R2R signature?

In my experience, SS generated even harmonics, ala Pass and others, are not a substitute for, nor the equivalent of properly implemented tube amplification. I’d like my XDMI analog out to be plain, not flavored. A flavor you can’t change. It seems likely that other improvements may be possible here, per Emile’s comments. Interesting times.

@Taiko Audio

Hi Emile,

I finally have some free time...

So I'm preparing for the installation of my Olympus + Omlympus I/O XDMI :)

As there have been a few changes, I was wondering how I should power the various components.

To power the Taiko Switch + Router + DC Distributor I have a PlixiR Statement.

Each of my audio components have their own socket+cable+breaker.

But I only have 4 sockets (I didn't plan for more when I built my listening room...)

So one socket has to be shared.

What setup would you recommend?

Here's a diagram:

Power_Setup_Taiko_Soulution_2.png

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu