Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Taiko-Olympus-big-advert.png

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
haha totally. i have developed a severe case of order checking disorder (olympus status OCD). Easily, 15 times a day. And I'm #84 (correction from previous wishful thinking #82).

Last edited:
Reactions: John T and ray-dude
I support the very heavy IEC plug and cable weight of the Sablon Prince power cord to my Extreme with dense foam blocks salvaged from packing blocks used to ship electronics equipment. They cut easily to size with a sharp knife, have minimal dielectric effect, and they are basically free.

Good luck.

Steve Z

You know everyone is waiting for Friday shipment notices when there are 10+ messages on a Thursday on how to keep an Olympus plugged in ;)
Thank to everyone for their ideas, however as the saying goes, "necessity is the mother of invention". Big shout out to Steve Z who lit up a few neurons deep in the back of my brain

Not pretty but this is the first attempt and it works like a charm. I have a plethora of these packing blocks and tomorrow I'll use a sharper knife and wean down the width at the bottom and narrow the vertical piece. I'm still picking the styrofoam confetti off my floor but small price to pay as this fix was totally free.....Fit perfectly under the base of the IO

IMG_6717.jpeg

I am serious about potential static. Especially around a PC. There already is a piece of foam clinging to the corner of your I/O. What you have could end up not so good.

Try and find some packing that is used for computer parts that is anti-static (typically pink color)...just makes common "audio" sense

Last edited:
Thank to everyone for their ideas, however as the saying goes, "necessity is the mother of invention". Big shout out to Steve Z who lit up a few neurons deep in the back of my brain

Not pretty but this is the first attempt and it works like a charm. I have a plethora of these packing blocks and tomorrow I'll use a sharper knife and wean down the width at the bottom and narrow the vertical piece. I'm still picking the styrofoam confetti off my floor but small price to pay as this fix was totally free.....Fit perfectly under the base of the IO

View attachment 135942
@steve williams
What is the height from the support to a level (to the floor) iec?
Mn

Last edited:
I am serious about potential static. Especially around a PC. There already is a piece of foam clinging to the corner of your I/O. What you have could end up not so good.

Try and find some packing that is used for computer parts that is anti-static (typically pink color)...just makes common "audio" sense
If I had some measurements I could make him an L shaped bracket with a gusset. One end under the I/0 the other end sitting under the IEC. The end under the I/0 would keep everything snug

I would either:

1 - Support the cord itself and not (just) the IEC. That's what I do with my Sablon King.
or

2 - Use a different cord that doesn't cause these issues

Reactions: Armsan
@steve williams

John T is extremely talented and could provide a working solution.
Got nothing to lose and you get to use the pc you want.
M
Thank you Marc, and I would be happy to do it for free! I just need accurate gap depth from the shelf to the bottom of the I/0, ( would have to make that a 1/16 - 1/8" shorter so it can slide under the I/0/ and the distance from the top of the styrofoam to the bottom of the cable. For the piece going under the I/0 a thin piece of rubber or gasket material will keep that part tight under the I/0. It appears he has that styrofoam under the corner and towards the center. If I had it in front of me no problem...

Last edited:
AS for using a different PC, the change in SQ was so significant when compared tot he Chin Cheng that both Christoph and I were at a loss for words
i have 'some' Chin Cheng's from my Lamm ML3 ownership experience. tried them at one point compared to my Absolute Fidelity power cords on my EMIA phono power supplies. switched back quickly. did not work. they don't do bad things, just missing so much with them. maybe works in some contexts. where the right answer is 'less'. not the system balance i like. maybe with some tubes and horns it's right.

Last edited:
i have 'some' Chin Cheng's from my Lamm ML3 ownership experience. tried them at one point compared to my Absolute Fidelity power cords on my EMIA phono power supplies. switched back quickly. did not work. they don't do bad things, just missing so much with them. maybe works in some contexts. where the right answer is 'less'. not the system balance i like. maybe with some tubes and horns it's right.
Mike, I totally agree. When we inserted the MB Ultra, the CC were missing A LOT !!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu