Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
We can accommodate those yes though not featured in the 2 output board options we supply it with now. This is something which is necessary for MSP Pro ISL to function for example as one of the 2 fibers of the PRO ISL links provides clock from the DAC as master. So we designed it so it can both accept external clocking and provide clocking itself.
Can it accept the clock frequencies of the dCS clocks ( 44.1 and 48kHz and multiples ) or just an external 10 MHz clock, as can be fed to the dCS master clock?

Last edited:
I run my Extreme into a Merging Nadac stack via RJ45/Ethernet cable. in this configuration the Nadac will play files natively up to DSD512.

Will the Olympus XDMI with 2 Network cards, and any other ancillary Taiko items, connected via Ethernet cable to my Nadac stack currently be the only way to realize full XDMI potential AND play files natively up to DSD512?

I run my Extreme into a Merging Nadac stack via RJ45/Ethernet cable. in this configuration the Nadac will play files natively up to DSD512.

Will the Olympus XDMI with 2 Network cards, and any other ancillary Taiko items, connected via Ethernet cable to my Nadac stack currently be the only way to realize full XDMI potential AND play files natively up to DSD512?
The Olympus XDMI comes with 1xNIC, 1xUSB, and 1xXDMI card.
In your case, you may want to consider getting a custom built Olympus XDMI with 2xNICs and 1xXDMI card instead. You don't need the USB card with the Merging Nadac.

If you believe that the Merging Nadac will outperform the XDMI analog output, you don't need to trade up to the Olympus XDMI. You can simply keep your Taiko Extreme and add an Olympus I/O with two NICs.
But if I was a betting man, I would bet on XDMI analog...

The problem with keeping the Extreme and adding an Olympus I/O with two NICs is curiosity. Every night when you go to bed you will be wondering if the Olympus XDMI with an XDMI analog would have been a better sounding option :D.

The Olympus XDMI comes with 1xNIC, 1xUSB, and 1xXDMI card.
In your case, you may want to consider getting a custom built Olympus XDMI with 2xNICs and 1xXDMI card instead. You don't need the USB card with the Merging Nadac.

If you believe that the Merging Nadac will outperform the XDMI analog output, you don't need to trade up to the Olympus XDMI. You can simply keep your Taiko Extreme and add an Olympus I/O with two NICs.
But if I was a betting man, I would bet on XDMI analog...

The problem with keeping the Extreme and adding an Olympus I/O with two NICs is curiosity. Every night when you go to bed you will be wondering if the Olympus XDMI with an XDMI analog would have been a better sounding option :D.

another reason to go that way is to upgrade from old hardware technology to something more up to date and more maintainable/repairable for a longer period of time into the future

Reactions: Levitator
Steve, I can’t believe what I’m hearing from you- no more Lampi tube rolling and tube DAC love, life in the digital age is ever evolving.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
I might miss the posts but how Extreme outputs to Olympus I/O? Through Extreme network card?

See post #131
Here's an attempt at making the Olympus I/O configuration as clear as possible using photos:

On the left side we have a Switch, then a BPS which powers the Olympus "I" module, this is then connected to our new PCIe interface card by means of a QFSP cable, this card is then plugged into the Extreme replacing the internal network card.

On the right side we have an Olympus "O" module containing the XDMI interface with an analogue output module fitted, this connects to another PCIE interface card by means of another QFSP cable, this card is plugged into the Extreme replacing the USB card:

View attachment 121609

Olympus "I" module, you can see the QFSP DAC cable being substantially "beefier" then the SFP DAC cable:

View attachment 121611

View attachment 121614

And the Olympus "O" module with XDMI interface:

View attachment 121612

View attachment 121613

The Interface cards:

View attachment 121615

Steve, I can’t believe what I’m hearing from you- no more Lampi tube rolling and tube DAC love, life in the digital age is ever evolving.
Ahh, but there's the rub.....it's called "letting go and learning a new pradigm"....I'm a slow learner and still am of the hope that Lukasz will come to the rescue

Reactions: ctydwn
About a 3rd orders the I/O to add to the Olympus. Very few I/O only orders.
Kudos to Taiko. 50 orders pre launch. That is an impressive rolodex of wealthy audiophiles that have significant trust in Team Taiko. I am sure that is more than justified,

Are the majority (all) of orders XDMI…? That might explain limited I/O orders for current Extreme owners given proportionately narrower price gap when including the XDMI.

I hope to be able to jump on at some point but its a big jump for me.

PS: NSM is amazing!

I am also a Ravenna user and since I am using dsp crossover all linked to Revanna in and out. I am also currently using 2 NiC card in my extreme. Right now I have to use Roon SRC to make all output 24/96 so it is compatible with my dsp XO. I have placed my order with Olympus server upgrade. Initially, I intended to do the same but I think I will place my order for XDMI analog out as well. This way I can forget roon and have everything output to xdmi analog and than AD back to my dsp XO. Sure there may be loss on the AD conversion. But with 5000 initially discount I figure that if my experiment turns out favouring Ravenna all the way. I can still sell my XDMI card at my discount cost and I would be able to sell it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing