Introducing Olympus & Olympus I/O - A new perspective on modern music playback

Olympus launch. Cover P1.jpg

For those who just started reading up on Olympus, Olympus I/O, and XDMI, please note that all information in this thread has been summarized in a single PDF document that can be downloaded from the Taiko Website.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

The document is frequently updated.

Scroll down to the 'XDMI, Olympus Music Server, Olympus I/O' section and click 'XDMI, Olympus, Olympus I/O Product Introduction & FAQ' to download the latest version.

Good morning WBF!​

We are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music, I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago, which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies throughout its life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding its ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model called the Olympus. Hierarchically, it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience than the Extreme, or any other server I've heard, for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions such as sound staging, dynamics, color palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed to keeping the Extreme as current as possible, we are introducing a second product called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology, allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate its performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

Last edited by a moderator:
It will need AC power yes. Both the Olympus and Olympus I/O need AC power, both need a powercord.
Since both will now have battery power supplies are the power cords as critical as they are to Extreme sonics?
And if so, which one is most important, Olympus or Olympus I/O ?

Since both will now have battery power supplies are the power cords as critical as they are to Extreme sonics?
And if so, which one is most important, Olympus or Olympus I/O ?

Less critical but still audible, more so for the Olympus which partially operates on AC power then for the Olympus I/O which only uses it to charge its batteries, which you can also configure to charge while you sleep. But everything you plug into your power strip does have a signature.

Thank you for the responses. So compares would involve software restarts and/or card swaps - so a few minutes between each compare.

The Horizon could facilitate all three inputs simultaneously, switching by remote. Just need (3) Olympuses with all ancillaries running at the same time to feed signal. Money solves all...

If you want to compare USB to XDMI digital you can just change the input setting on your Horizon. If you want to compare USB to XDMI analog you would change the input setting on your line stage. If you want to compare XDMI digital to XDMI analog you would need to swap daughter boards in the Olympus.

Reactions: wil and John T
Swiss Tom , on your diagram I believe also BNC should be added next to "XLR and RCA" below the Digital Out , no ?

Unfortunately I can't answer that question.

You probably read post #116

I can't tell you any more than that.

But here are the possible options for the digital out daughterboard.

Olympus_XLR_BNC.JPG

I believe we can rule out #4.

But beyond that I don't know which configuration will be chosen.

I believe only Emile (@Taiko Audio) can provide you with a definitive answer

Reactions: John T and Kris
You cannot use all three outputs at the same time.

You can switch from USB to XDMI via the software.

As for XDMI/Digital and XDMI/Analogue, you'll need to swap the daughterboard, as shown below

Hope it helps.
The XDMI interface can support either the AES/EDU/SPDIF or analog, but not at the same time. USB operates on its own. So, you can have USB + XDMI digital or USB + XDMI analog.
What exactly is involved with swapping the Daughter boards?

Unfortunately I can't answer that question.

You probably read post #116

I can't tell you any more than that.

But here are the possible options for the digital out daughterboard.

View attachment 122740

I believe we can rule out #4.

But beyond that I don't know which configuration will be chosen.

I believe only Emile (@Taiko Audio) can provide you with a definitive answer

Nr 2 exists as a prototype
Nr 1 is what Emile mentioned is possible as a final product and what everyone here would love to see.

If money is no object there's 2x Olympus I/O with 2x XDMI :p Obviously not a serious recommendation.
I could see in the future perhaps an Olympus with the network card in it, connected to an Olympus I/O with the space/power of the two cards being used by a master blaster XDMI-DAC card (made to rule them all...).

Reactions: DW101
Ed, does this mean that I will not be able to hear xdms/nsm on my wadax atlantis DAC, and only xdms by way of aes/ebu; and I can only hear xdms/nsm directly over RCA cables direct to my preamp?
Thanks! - kevin
Roon over WASPI does a nice sonic job too

We haven't seen a video yet but Emile says it is easy.
Does anyone know if changing an output daughterboard on the Olympus will require access to the top of the Olympus, or can this be done from the rear access only? (trying to think ahead about shelf placement)

Does anyone know if changing an output daughterboard on the Olympus will require access to the top of the Olympus, or can this be done from the rear access only? (trying to think ahead about shelf placement)
I highly doubt if you would be able to change any board without removing the top of the Olympus......Taiko?

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

You do need access to its internals.

If you want to compare USB to XDMI digital you can just change the input setting on your Horizon. If you want to compare USB to XDMI analog you would change the input setting on your line stage. If you want to compare XDMI digital to XDMI analog you would need to swap daughter boards in the Olympus.
It seems to me that the compare of the XDMI DIGITAL to XDMI ANALOG will be the most interesting.

That is, until we can compare the XDMI Analog to a 3rd party native XDMI Dac.

@Taiko Audio location planning for the new components/configuration will require some racking modifications at my place (maybe others too?), so regarding physical connections for QFSP28 transceivers, is it set to use a passive cable type, as we do for the switch? For the "28" cables, I find 1meter and 3meter options (perhaps limited by brand).

If not premature, can you offer a comment on that aspect of the new set-up for those of us with planing anxiety?! Cheers, Emile.

@Taiko Audio

i have a couple of software questions:
1. do you plan to carry two software loads for the backend, one for the extreme and one for the olympus?
2. do you anticipate either better performance (more processors to play with, as an example) or other differences (functionality?) as the olympus and extreme evolve?
3. can we assume parity in performance/functionality between the two for a while, e.g. years?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing