Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
A “paper exercise” usually means a thought experiment or imagination game ie not one done for real.
In this case, knowing Valhalla prices in Australia are utterly insane, a “paper exercise” might be interpreted as “needing an awful lot of pieces of green paper” ie bucks :)

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
My meaning was that a loom of Valhalla wire will only happen on paper (as a dream). Not likely ever in reality.

But I have learned to never say never.

Reactions: kennyb123

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Has anyone tried to ‘upgrade’ the internal cabling of the antipodes k50 ?
For example the cable which connects the server board to player board. And the usb cable which connects the player board to re clocker board.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Has anyone tried to ‘upgrade’ the internal cabling of the antipodes k50 ?
For example the cable which connects the server board to player board. And the usb cable which connects the player board to re clocker board.
I personally would not feel comfortable doing that, as for the price being charged for our machines, I am sure the designer would not be skimping.

Or maybe I am just too close minded in this scenario, regardless I would not feel comfortable touching anything interior of mine as it may also void warranty...

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
The only modification I made to my K40 is to replace the fuses with Synergistis Reserach "purple" fuses. A nice improvement in musicality.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Have any of you tried an external grounding system (Entreq, Shunyata CGS etc) with your Antipodes K50 etc? If so, where on the chassis did you connect your grounding wire?

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Well, I guess I have - I use Shunyata power conditioners and, according to them, since my K50 is connected to one, it's grounded and there's no need to use grounding connections. I've always had it connected this way, so it can’t tell you if there's a difference versus connecting to the wall.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Well, I guess I have - I use Shunyata power conditioners and, according to them, since my K50 is connected to one, it's grounded and there's no need to use grounding connections. I've always had it connected this way, so it can’t tell you if there's a difference versus connecting to the wall
I have also read posts from Shunyata that it doesn’t hurt to try the CGS - even if your unit is plugged into one of the power conditioners.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
I have also read posts from Shunyata that it doesn’t hurt to try the CGS - even if your unit is plugged into one of the power conditioners.
Any thoughts about the CAD GC1? The reviews look good

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Have any of you tried an external grounding system (Entreq, Shunyata CGS etc) with your Antipodes K50 etc? If so, where on the chassis did you connect your grounding wire?
I use a CAD GC 3 to ground my K50 via the USB out and to ground my Aqua Formula xHD via the BNC out. I find it lowers the noise floor on both components. There is a discussion on the Antipodes forum that K50 grounding is a main grounding and not a signal grounding and one should use two separate GC units to separate signal from main. I also have two GC 1s which I use on my Lamm LP2 with excellent results and a Furutech power strip with minimal benefit.

Reactions: Lxgreen

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
This from their CGS guide from 2016, like you said, it doesn't hurt to try...

If a component’s power cord is connected to the TRITON — do I need to run wire to the CGS?
If a component is connected to the TRITON with a power cord where the ground wire and contact are functional then the chassis of the component will be connected to the internal grounding system of the TRITON. You do not need to make another connection to the CGS terminal. However, some components may benefit from an additional chassis connection especially if you are using common stock power cords. Try it and see if performance is improved.

Interesting, though, that they are coming out with their Altaira grounding hubs after saying this a few years ago. I realize that one of the hubs is a signal hub and the other is a chassis hub, but we'll have to wait to see what info they release once they release these hubs.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
This from their CGS guide from 2016, like you said, it doesn't hurt to try...

If a component’s power cord is connected to the TRITON — do I need to run wire to the CGS?
If a component is connected to the TRITON with a power cord where the ground wire and contact are functional then the chassis of the component will be connected to the internal grounding system of the TRITON. You do not need to make another connection to the CGS terminal. However, some components may benefit from an additional chassis connection especially if you are using common stock power cords.
Edit **** My point below. Try it and see…
****Try it and see if performance is improved.***

Interesting, though, that they are coming out with their Altaira grounding hubs after saying this a few years ago. I realize that one of the hubs is a signal hub and the other is a chassis hub, but we'll have to wait to see what info they release once they release these hubs.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I use a CAD GC 3 to ground my K50 via the USB out and to ground my Aqua Formula xHD via the BNC out. I find it lowers the noise floor on both components. There is a discussion on the Antipodes forum that K50 grounding is a main grounding and not a signal grounding and one should use two separate GC units to separate signal from main. I also have two GC 1s which I use on my Lamm LP2 with excellent results and a Furutech power strip with minimal benefit.
I am looking for where to place a CHASSIS ground wire to the K50.

Speaking with Richard from Shunyata during a demonstration of their upcoming Altaira CGS and SGS units, he told me the majority of the benefits come from using Chassis grounding and that while signal grounding adds to it, it is the icing not the cake.

Would you point me to the post you mention on the Antipodes forum? Thanks!

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Edit **** My point below. Try it and see…
I agreed with you in my first line..."This from their CGS guide from 2016, like you said, it doesn't hurt to try..."

Reactions: Macattack

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
I am looking for where to place a CHASSIS ground wire to the K50.

Speaking with Richard from Shunyata during a demonstration of their upcoming Altaira CGS and SGS units, he told me the majority of the benefits come from using Chassis grounding and that while signal grounding adds to it, it is the icing not the cake.

Would you point me to the post you mention on the Antipodes forum? Thanks!
Here is the post, it was related to the grounding of the K41 not the K50.

Thank you for your response. I have had extensive contact with Mark (Antipodes) and Scott (CAD) about connecting the K41 to a CAD ground control. The conclusion is that within the K41 signal ground and mains earth are not separated. Connecting the K41 to a ground control that is connected to the signal ground of other components is therefore not recommended. My K41 is now connected via USB to a ground control that is only connected to the mains earth of other components. Just to be clear, I have three GC3 ground controls. One for mains earth, one for signal ground analog components and one for signal ground digital components. Everything works as it should. I get the most effect on the signal ground of the Esoteric DAC and mains earth of the PS Audio regenerator.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Everything works as it should. I get the most effect on the signal ground of the Esoteric DAC and mains earth of the PS Audio regenerator.
Thanks for digging up that quote. It is very helpful with regards to a signal ground. I didn’t glean much with respect to chassis ground.

I broke out my voltmeter to check continuity at various points on my K30’s chassis. The top, bottom, front and back are all in continuity with one the screws that secure the top. That tells me that it probably doesn’t matter where I connect the chassis ground as long as I select a point that was in common with all these panels, which isn’t difficult to do with the K30.

I quoted the above text because of what was mentioned about the DAC’s signal ground. I’ve heard that my DAC will respond really well to signal grounding as well, that makes me wonder if there are exceptions to the signal ground being just the icing.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Thanks for digging up that quote. It is very helpful with regards to a signal ground. I didn’t glean much with respect to chassis ground.

I broke out my voltmeter to check continuity at various points on my K30’s chassis. The top, bottom, front and back are all in continuity with one the screws that secure the top. That tells me that it probably doesn’t matter where I connect the chassis ground as long as I select a point that was in common with all these panels, which isn’t difficult to do with the K30.

I quoted the above text because of what was mentioned about the DAC’s signal ground. I’ve heard that my DAC will respond really well to signal grounding as well, that makes me wonder if there are exceptions to the signal ground being just the icing.
Kennyb 123
I believe the CAD GCs work particularly well on signal grounding of source components, reducing high res noise before it is amplified down the chain. I found it works particularly well on my phono preamp and dac. Minimal benefit on my VTL preamp.
Mark

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Here is the post, it was related to the grounding of the K41 not the K50.

Thank you for your response. I have had extensive contact with Mark (Antipodes) and Scott (CAD) about connecting the K41 to a CAD ground control. The conclusion is that within the K41 signal ground and mains earth are not separated. Connecting the K41 to a ground control that is connected to the signal ground of other components is therefore not recommended. My K41 is now connected via USB to a ground control that is only connected to the mains earth of other components. Just to be clear, I have three GC3 ground controls. One for mains earth, one for signal ground analog components and one for signal ground digital components. Everything works as it should. I get the most effect on the signal ground of the Esoteric DAC and mains earth of the PS Audio regenerator.
Thank you Mark.

I am a bit confused. What about connecting a K41/50 to a (mains) chassis ground system only? Eg only with equipment that are chassis ground? I am specifically thinking of the CGS ‘zones’ of my Shunyata Everest Power conditioner.

Your post seems to suggest I could make a cable to connect the SPDIF Output to one of my CGS lugs since there is is no difference in signal/earth ground on the K41/50???

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Any thoughts about the CAD GC1? The reviews look good
I also use the CAD GC3 on my K50. I have three things plugged into it -- USB, BNC & I2S. This was definitely a nice improvement.

it was good info that the signal ground and chasis ground on the K50 are the same. I may try connecting a spade to one of the chasis screws and see what effect that has.

Reactions: Lxgreen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing