Is iPad/Laptop as Streamer Good Enough?

SpiritofRadio

Dec 10, 2022
It is my understanding that any noise from a computer is due to the electrical signal in the USB cable connecting the computer to the DAC. Some DACs isolate all external electrical interference. Does anyone know if the Baltic 4 has any built in isolation? If it does, wouldn’t a MacBook be the same as a dedicated streamer in terms of sound quality?
No

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
I keep believing, and posting, that I think the sound quality of using an iPad as a streamer is inferior to using a dedicated high-end audio streamer to feed one's DAC. Compared to a CD of the same title I hear iPad as streamer as relatively thin, lifeless and anemic. (I appreciate that there are other factors here that make this not an apples-to-apples comparison.) I am currently waiting for an Innuos PULSEmini to be installed in my system.

So I am a little bit baffled to learn that Jeff Fritz in his review of the Gryphon Apex Stereo amplifier, May 1, 2022, seems not to use a dedicated streamer:

The Gryphon Apex Stereo was placed in my reference system, replacing the Boulder Amplifiers 2060 stereo power amplifier that anchors this setup. The rest of the components consisted of Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirit loudspeakers, Shunyata Research Alpha SP speaker cables, Delta IC interconnects, Alpha USB cable, and Venom NR-V10 power cords. My source was an MSB Technology Discrete DAC fed from an Apple MacBook Air (2018). Powering everything except the Apex was a Shunyata Research Hydra Alpha A12 power conditioner. The Apple, MSB, and Alpha A12 were placed on an SGR Audio Model III Symphony equipment rack.

So, at least as of the date of that review, Jeff was using an Apple laptop as a streamer. Does anyone happen to know Jeff's thinking on streamers?
Hi Ron. I just read Jeff Fritz'z review of the GRYPHON APEX as my freshly delivered APEX was warming up. I completely agree with you that a high quality streamer is superior to a computer. I went from MacBook pro to the top of the line Sonore Streamer....Huge improvement in sound quality. From the Sonore to the Taiko SGM another large improvement. I think Jeff Fritz would hear more of the true character of the 3060 and the Apex, but I suspect his conclusion would be the same.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron. I just read Jeff Fritz'z review of the GRYPHON APEX as my freshly delivered APEX was warming up.
Congratulations on your Apex!

Do you still have the XLFs?

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Congratulations on your Apex!

Do you still have the XLFs?
Yes. Love my XLF's. After 4 hours I think I can say that the APEX is the amp the XLF's have been waiting for!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes. Love my XLF's. After 4 hours I think I can say that the APEX is the amp the XLF's have been waiting for!
Wonderful! Another datapoint that Wilson + Gryphons is a great combination!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I suspect that Jeff Fritz' use of a MacBook Pro as his streamer is at least partially due to a need to hear his music played on different systems through a steamer he understands well as he travels to different client/show venues.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I suspect that Jeff Fritz' use of a MacBook Pro as his streamer is at least partially due to a need to hear his music played on different systems through a steamer he understands well as he travels to different client/show venues.
He’d get much (much) better results if he’d at least put a reclocking device in between his Mac and his DAC - Wavelength Audio makes one that delivers demonstrably better signal to whatever device it’s’ feeding.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/innuos-pulsar.36540/post-898389

Reactions: SpiritofRadio

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
He’d get much (much) better results if he’d at least put a reclocking device in between his Mac and his DAC - Wavelength Audio makes one that delivers demonstrably better signal to whatever device it’s’ feeding.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/innuos-pulsar.36540/post-898389
Still just guessing, but I think it's all about portability of the streamer and the exact rendition of his music - hence a consistent portable vehicle for plugging his music into just about anybody's system - not optimized for SQ.

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Still just guessing, but I think it's all about portability of the streamer and the exact rendition of his music - hence a consistent portable vehicle for plugging his music into just about anybody's system - not optimized for SQ.
Some of these reclockers don’t even require an external power supply. The one I mentioned uses a single 120v outlet and would be easy for travel - it‘s simple USB in and USB out with no other functionality. I used both types for years prior to upgrading to dedicated servers.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
... interesting - thinking about going from McIntosh to either Gryphon or DartZeel for my Sasha DAWs...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing