Is iPad/Laptop as Streamer Good Enough?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I am disappointed by the reviewer source a Mac book pro wow.
a notebook has inherent flaws for audio it’s just not made for this purpose.
I could list some of them but to what end bits are bits lol.
you could consider what the dac does with the given stream. and Msb Has always done a great job isolating and preventing noise from such a source
now while it’s a perfect example of typical digital for many I think a reviewer should have a ready made box for use
Aurender for one common and stable. If I was the maker I feel I would have a hand in source but this may be tough.
reg power full cpu or non windows servers keep in mind. Windows no matter what we do is a pig on power. Where Linux is inherently low usage.
I even feel Linux LPS compared to High end switching power supplies is not a big improvement
Perhaps not one you can hear. now you can hear the note decay of a Linux system
But even this is genre specific. Pots and pans Music in some ways sounds better as it does not need good note decay for have good timbre

DennisH

Jun 3, 2021
Maybe the reviewer who uses a MacBook Pro tried a streamer in his system and then converted back to a MacBook because he didn’t think it was worth the upgrade. I use a MacBook with my Baltic 4. I did try an Aurender with my previous DAC and it was better, but I didn‘t think the difference in sound quality was worth the investment. I may try another streamer with the new Baltic in the future, but at this time I am pleased with the sound. It would take the fun out of this hobby to upgrade everything at once even if you had the money.

Reactions: ScottK

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There is truth in your comments. how much to get how much better. the entire system is part of what any one part brings in change.
so while a laptop is ok or even an iPad the chain can only show what is happening as a whole. I’m a tweaker and love the chase of compares.
so it’s not an absolute must for all but it’s needed for others to read.
a laptop has benefits if a few settings are made.
next if the files being played with the player keeps the cpu load down it’s better then most iPads.
of the iPad is a control point it’s fine.
now having said this if one is to review I just feel a laptop falls below a standard we should keep. In past compares an iPhone with a usb converter was better then my laptops even after settings
Now this was a while back and iPads are now very powerful. So when an iPad is used we need to know how it’s used. Chain is important as I found if files are local on the iPad it’s a noticeable improvement

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
The other thing to consider is the app used for playback. For example I find the Tidal Windows app to sound better than the Android app using the same IFI Zen DAC.

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
As I’ve aged, I have elected to simplify and am quite satisfied. MacBook used as a Roon core to Ethernet switch to Dutch & Dutch 8Cs. That is currently my entire system. No interconnects, no power amp, no preamp, no DAC, no streamer. Admittedly, it takes the fun out of tinkering with various mix and match components and cables, and the various resulting flavors we all like to experiment with. Now, however, I just focus on the music.

Reactions: rubinken

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
mac os is close to LINUX , so much less cpu useage . this leads to a better audio stream over all in nyc i use an imac as a control point and have tried it as core for roon . its much better then a stock win pc is on a similar setup . running roon core on my nas is aslo ok and it has 7 spinning drives and a ssd cash but just an ultra highend sw mode psu . its fast in responce to cammands , but does have the linux sound i dislike . the better streamers or servers that use linux do have a much better sound then my nas but the mac is better then my nas on roon core .

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
mac os is close to LINUX , so much less cpu useage . this leads to a better audio stream over all in nyc i use an imac as a control point and have tried it as core for roon . its much better then a stock win pc is on a similar setup . running roon core on my nas is aslo ok and it has 7 spinning drives and a ssd cash but just an ultra highend sw mode psu . its fast in responce to cammands , but does have the linux sound i dislike . the better streamers or servers that use linux do have a much better sound then my nas but the mac is better then my nas on roon core .
Have you tried windows recently? I'm quite shocked how much better Tidal sounds.

DennisH

Jun 3, 2021
Interesting reading on the different opinions on a dedicated streamer versus using a MacBook as a streamer. I currently use a MacBook with Audirv?na Studio for streaming to my new Baltic 4. I have tried a dedicated streamer in the past with my previous DAC, but found that it didn’t sound that much better than the MacBook. My question of the group is whether an Aurender N100 as a streamer for my Baltic 4 would sound any better than my CD transport connected to the Baltic? If the sound would be comparable to that of CD, I might just choose to stay with the MacBook. Most of my listening on the DAC is streaming Qobuz. Appreciate your opinions.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

DennisH

Jun 3, 2021
It is my understanding that any noise from a computer is due to the electrical signal in the USB cable connecting the computer to the DAC. Some DACs isolate all external electrical interference. Does anyone know if the Baltic 4 has any built in isolation? If it does, wouldn’t a MacBook be the same as a dedicated streamer in terms of sound quality?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It is my understanding that any noise from a computer is due to the electrical signal in the USB cable connecting the computer to the DAC. Some DACs isolate all external electrical interference. Does anyone know if the Baltic 4 has any built in isolation? If it does, wouldn’t a MacBook be the same as a dedicated streamer in terms of sound quality?
If only was that simple. the cpu makes noise , the ram makes noise , the many main board regulators makes noise. And yea the usb has 5 volt dc has ripple or noise
Now a few dacs don’t need the 5 volt dc Lampi being one helps greatly
a music server / streamer is very complex not to just make work but sound musical
now all of the noise is along the data stream usb No doubt but it’s also on the spidif too. Yet spidif fairs better with noise.

DennisH

Jun 3, 2021
If only was that simple. the cpu makes noise , the ram makes noise , the many main board regulators makes noise. And yea the usb has 5 volt dc has ripple or noise
Now a few dacs don’t need the 5 volt dc Lampi being one helps greatly
a music server / streamer is very complex not to just make work but sound musical
now all of the noise is along the data stream usb No doubt but it’s also on the spidif too. Yet spidif fairs better with noise.
Thanks for your reply. So it is not as simple as I thought that the DAC could isolate all external noise coming in by USB. I will now have to try a dedicated streamer with my Baltic 4.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I many sound pointed it is truly not my intention. there is so much misinformation to sort through. am I pad or Mac laptop is fine and I’m surely not the digital police hahaha.
a Mac iMac or laptop has an advantage over a win machine in that it’s like Linux low cpu usage.
but a faster decay where windows has a more natural decay. but there are ways to to help this.
techno is to me more reactive on Linux but I hate techno lol.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
We have a Lampizator Horizon and a Baltic 4 here. The Taiko Extreme feeding the Horizon is exceptional. Inserting the Baltic 4 into this system, fed by the Taiko, it is an amazing performer for the price. I could live with it. But the Horizon is clearly better yet.

Inserting the Baltic 4 back into the system with the Aurender N100h there is a very clear drop off in performance compared to the Taiko, but it is still pretty good. Feeding the Baltic 4 from an Oppo 105 transport is another drop in performance, but I don’t have as good of an spdif cable. Not apples to apples.

Reading product descriptions about the new Lampi dacs with engine Eleven, the Baltic 4 doesn’t get the better clocks for usb, say compared to the GG3 or TRP 3. There is a good chance this means that the spdif is actually the better input on the B4.

USB is a dirty interface. Unless you throw a lot of money at it with dedicated output cards and $$$$ cables, it will likely be inferior to spdif.

I speculate that a solid streamer with spdif output would be the best with the B4. An Antipodes K50 or newer LMDS server would be worthy contenders. At a lower price point an Aurender N10 would be better than an N100 because of its superior spdif clocks. I had both and my Bricasti M1 SE preferred the N10 via spdif.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
A direct comparison to is maddening but does light a path. if we just play a given setup I think our brains fill the gaps for what’s missing on a previous better choice. A taiko or an LDMS are different but both have a great view. your post really shows dedication to the pursuit of moving to better.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Well yes, the brain is a tricky thing Al. Asking it to regulate its own biases and tendencies is clearly a challenge, lol. But we keep trying anyway.

I’ve thrown some money out the window over the years, as most of us have, learning from others too. Just sharing opinions.

I believe this is my first reply to a thread here. Hope it is welcome...

I don't know about Mac computers, and only use an iPad to control my music server through a Chrome Remote Desktop session. I have used Windows notebooks for years, and for the past couple years have used an Intel NUC based mini PC running Win 11Pro. I use JRiver Media Center for playback from stored files (16 or 24 bit, 44.1 through 192KHz PCM, and single through quad DSD files) and use the Windows Desktop Apps from Qobuz or Tidal running in exclusive mode when I stream from either of those services. I only run one of those at a time, closing the others out when not in use.

Every notebook (or other PC) I have used over the last ten years has had serious issues with regards to noisy USB output. However, it is easily remedied with a few add-on devices. Regardless of the DACs I've used over the years, I have used products from Audioquest and iFi to clean up the USB output of the various PCs I've used. Currently the stream out of the NUC goes like this:

Geekom GM08i5T NUC based mini PC (i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Win11Pro)
  1. Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ
  2. Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv or Straightwire USB Link cable
  3. iFi Audio iUSB3 USB power supply
  4. iFi Gemini twin Head Cable
  5. iFi iPurifier2
Then into the DAC. I've used more than a dozen different DACs since I got the first iFi iUSB power supply. The iUSB3 was a big step up.

But with a properly filtered and powered USB stream, even an inexpensive NUC makes for an exceptionally good music server/streamer. I have disabled several Windows services that were not necessary to operating as a networked music server.
Software like JRiver seems more complete and to my liking than any of the dedicated apps that come with various servers. I don't use Roon and would hope someday the supplied desktop apps for Qobuz and Tidal at least add a proper advanced search function.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I don't know about Mac computers, and only use an iPad to control my music server through a Chrome Remote Desktop session. I have used Windows notebooks for years, and for the past couple years have used an Intel NUC based mini PC running Win 11Pro. I use JRiver Media Center for playback from stored files (16 or 24 bit, 44.1 through 192KHz PCM, and single through quad DSD files) and use the Windows Desktop Apps from Qobuz or Tidal running in exclusive mode when I stream from either of those services. I only one of those at a time, closing the others out when not in use.

Every notebook (or other PC) I have used over the last ten years has had serious issues with regards to noisy USB output. However, it is easily remedied with a few add-on devices. Regardless of the DACs I've used over the years, I have used products from Audioquest and iFi to clean up the USB output of the various PCs I've used. Currently the stream out of the NUC goes like this:

5. iFi iPurifier2
Then into the DAC. I've used more than a dozen different DACs since I got the first iFi iUSB power supply. The iUSB3 was a big step up.

But with a properly filtered and powered USB stream, even an inexpensive NUC makes for an exceptionally good music server/streamer. I have disabled several Windows services that were not necessary to operating as a networked music server.
Software like JRiver seems more complete and to my liking than any of the dedicated apps that come with various servers. I don't use Roon and would hope someday the supplied desktop apps for Qobuz and Tidal at least add a proper advanced search function.

Welcome to WBF, Steve!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

I don't know about Mac computers, and only use an iPad to control my music server through a Chrome Remote Desktop session. I have used Windows notebooks for years, and for the past couple years have used an Intel NUC based mini PC running Win 11Pro. I use JRiver Media Center for playback from stored files (16 or 24 bit, 44.1 through 192KHz PCM, and single through quad DSD files) and use the Windows Desktop Apps from Qobuz or Tidal running in exclusive mode when I stream from either of those services. I only run one of those at a time, closing the others out when not in use.

5. iFi iPurifier2

Welcome to the forum and thank you for choosing our products! We appreciate you sharing your experience here :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing