Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
You are right, it is getting old... You should change the name of this forum to What best for Steve Williams, at least the objectives will be clear.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I know that. It was the end of your post that brings forth your true intent

It’s a big industry can start. There’s enough for all to go around. Younpivk your flavor and take your chances. Some like vanilla, some chocolate and some strawberry. It’s all good. We just dont alL prefer the same things. That’s a good thing IMO. So try and lighten up cannata. It’s a hobby. We should all be good with our own choices.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Sorry, I am passionate man, you know, but it is all good here.
It was not my true intent, that is just how I read the review. My point is/was that Wilson tramps Magico at marketing, always have, nothing to do with these latest reports. It is a much bigger, well-funded, and organized operation.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) PS: If I wanted to try to be a troublemaker I would say that I would love to hear a comparison of the WAMM Master Chronosonic and the Rockport Lyra + Master Subsonics, for approximately 1/3 the price of the Master Chronosonic (without the subwoofers).

If we are in audio for trouble-making and fights such type of review is ideal. However if we want to get the maximum of information about the component and prepare ourselves for an audition of it to make our mind I prefer isolated reviews, surely with comparative references to past products reviewed by the author.

BTW, during the WAMM session Peter McGrath told us that all but one WAMM customers got the Master Subsonics. But even without subs the WAMM is a lot better than the XLF ... ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry, I am passionate man, you know, but it is all good here.
It was not my true intent, that is just how I read the review. My point is/was that Wilson tramps Magico at marketing, always have, nothing to do with these latest reports. It is a much bigger, well-funded, and organized operation.

All the Wilson quality marketing is based on the quality of the product, the expertise of the people supporting it and the sales network. The organized operation, as you call it, of Wilson Audio is a real direct benefit for consumers all over the world. The Wilson Audio site is an example for other manufacturers - for example I could download a few days ago the comprehensive manual of the still almost unknown new active crossover, the ActiveXO.

Reactions: Joe P and asiufy

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I might be biased here, but I think Wilson's marketing comes naturally, after years of somewhat leading the market.

I've visited many companies, high-end audio or otherwise, and two things struck me as I visited Wilson Audio: passion and professionalism. When the two go together, you get great products, and by extension, great marketing.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
All the Wilson quality marketing is based on the quality of the product, the expertise of the people supporting it and the sales network. The organized operation, as you call it, of Wilson Audio is a real direct benefit for consumers all over the world. The Wilson Audio site is an example for other manufacturers - for example I could download a few days ago the comprehensive manual of the still almost unknown new active crossover, the ActiveXO.

I agree with your comments.

You left out the WA app that has product information, installation tools, news and info on WA Recordings.

I don't want to fan the WA vs Magico debate, but I know of one dealer who had both lines and dropped Magico.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If we are in audio for trouble-making and fights such type of review is ideal. However if we want to get the maximum of information about the component and prepare ourselves for an audition of it to make our mind I prefer isolated reviews, surely with comparative references to past products reviewed by the author.

BTW, during the WAMM session Peter McGrath told us that all but one WAMM customers got the Master Subsonics. But even without subs the WAMM is a lot better than the XLF ... ;)

I totally agree that even without the Subsonics the Master Chronosonic is better by far than the XLF.

I am not historically a big Wilson Audio fan, but my ears don’t mislead me. I loved the Master Chronosonics + Subsonics; I just don’t know exactly why.

I would like a pair of Subsonics (and two Watch Controllers) by themselves!

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't want to fan the WA vs Magico debate, but I know of one dealer who had both lines and dropped Magico.

And I know of one dealer who dropped Wilson in favor of Magico.

Just sayin'. Not that I have any skin in the game, owning neither brand nor planning to.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

And I know of one dealer who dropped Wilson in favor of Magico

Likely more about sales, incentives, and margins, than perceived product superiority. it's somewhat rare l for a dealer to carry both, like finding one that carries both CJ and ARC - you just don't see it much, at least in the US.

Alex (@asiufy) didn't you drop a speaker line when you became a Wilson dealer?

Reactions: KeithR

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
And I know of one dealer who dropped Wilson in favor of Magico.

Just sayin'. Not that I have any skin in the game, owning neither brand nor planning to.

Yes, there's no need to own a WA or Magico speaker if you only listen to Redbook CDs. ;-)

Last edited:

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada

Not sure if I agree on this one completely....just after purchasing a pair of Wilson’s, sent in the warranty registration using their web site, but never received an auto-reply nor emailed acknowledgement of receipt of the information which was to me, odd. A few days later I called down to Utah and was told they were having some problems with, as the person on the phone said, their “backend” but she would happily send me confirmation once this was fixed.
About a month later, two weeks prior to this post, I sent an email inquiry through asking if any progress had been made as I simply wanted confirmation that the warranty had been registered.
No reply.
Surprising considering the expectation of excellence one simply assumes would follow from a company such as Wilson.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes, there's no need to own a WA or Magico speaker if you only listen to Redbook CDs. ;-)

If you had any idea of the outrageous resolution (micro detail of timbre, separation of instruments, etc.) that I get from Redbook CD, which compares well with that on my friends' vinyl based systems, some of them with Magico.

But hey, what do they say? Ignorance is bliss ;). Or, you don't know what you don't know ;).

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Not sure if I agree on this one completely....just after purchasing a pair of Wilson’s, sent in the warranty registration using their web site, but never received an auto-reply nor emailed acknowledgement of receipt of the information which was to me, odd. A few days later I called down to Utah and was told they were having some problems with, as the person on the phone said, their “backend” but she would happily send me confirmation once this was fixed.
About a month later, two weeks prior to this post, I sent an email inquiry through asking if any progress had been made as I simply wanted confirmation that the warranty had been registered.
No reply.
Surprising considering the expectation of excellence one simply assumes would follow from a company such as Wilson.

Please feel free to email (bill@wilsonaudio.com) or call (801-377-2233) me (Bill Peugh) at Wilson Audio should you ever have any reason for concern with, or just want to talk about your Wilson speakers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I would say that tipycally Wilson Audio speakers sound great with redbook, they do not need the coloration of most vinyl playback systems to sound great or fear the dynamic range and resolution of well recorded digital. In fact the WAMM playing redbook or good digital made us forgot what was the format.

I have no doubt that the fact that I listen most of the time to CDs in a DCS Vivaldi stack pushed me to Wilson speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...BTW, during the WAMM session Peter McGrath told us that all but one WAMM customers got the Master Subsonics. But even without subs the WAMM is a lot better than the XLF ... ;)

I totally agree that even without the Subsonics the Master Chronosonic is better by far than the XLF....

I suppose the question for the money (space allowing) is which would you prefer (if you had no ability to upgrade):
- WAMM (no Subsonics)
- XLF + Dual Thors (or Subsonics)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing