Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Amen,
That was the most important sonic change that WA made, as their speakers were pretty much unlistenable for most people. And let's not forget how some guys in the media, like "worthless to the audio fans" robery harley excoriated wilson for using that "old" technology.

Of course, sonically, that tweeter change differentiated wilsons from magicos, which tend to put emphasis on upper midrange, lower treble. And now the new sasha puppy will further differentiate the speaker with a more robust bottom end than the magico in the same price category.

I am afraid you are generalizing here. I have heard the Magico S1 as being tipped up towards upper midrange/lower treble, but not other Magico speakers. It also depends on set-up and gear choices of course.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Did Wilson do as you have recommended, because if they did, it must have made no difference!

I was involved with speaker designs using the Titanium Dioxide Focals in the early/mid 90s, but not with Wilson. Yes those things were done in those designs.

By the time I joined Wilson, the CST had replaced the Focal based Wilson tweeters.

Last edited:

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
HI Metaphacts,

Thanks for the kind words. Kind of surprised that you lack the curiosity to fully understand why Wilson is successful. Nevertheless, congratulations on your contributions to Wilson Audio success.

Have a great life!

Thanks Caesar.

Please don't for one second believe that I and/or my colleagues at Wilson do not spend a great deal of time working to understand the complexities of the broader market and the Wilson brand's place in it. Nothing new really as Dave was a student of markets and brands well before forming Wilson Audio.

That said, a spirited forum discussion yields many insights for a good listener (reader). Whether I actively participate or not doesn't really matter. It could even be suggested that staying out of the discussion allows others' opinions and observations to flow more freely.

As always, ymmv.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I was involved with speaker designs using the Titanium Dioxide Focals in the early/mid 90s, but not with Wilson. Yes those things were done in those designs.

By the time I joined Wilson, the CST had replaced the Focal based Wilson tweeters.

When you state ' notched out' we are presuming in the x-over, is that correct? If so, I would think that you now have a speaker that is probably rolled off vs. a speaker that can scale the heights above what..15khz? Still makes me state that this tweeter is a faulty design, IMO

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
[

To date, the only Wilson I really liked was the original X1 Grand SLAMM. With 95db sensitivity and an easy load driven by a good SET it was really one of the best box speaker sounds I have heard.
Interesting...which of the X1/Grand Slamms did you hear? Perhaps all 3 generations? (plus, there was the 5 upgrade just before the Alexandria came out.)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Interesting...which of the X1/Grand Slamms did you hear? Perhaps all 3 generations? (plus, there was the 5 upgrade just before the Alexandria came out.)
I heard 1and 3.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very nice. Curious...did you notice any differences that you recall? I remember reading that some treble improvements had been made along with crossover which improved cohesiveness.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am afraid you are generalizing here. I have heard the Magico S1 as being tipped up towards upper midrange/lower treble, but not other Magico speakers. It also depends on set-up and gear choices of course.
Agree. And it also, depends on what you are comparing to... Latest wilson sasha watt puppy is marketing itself as having prodigious bass...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, heard the terrible news that AudioNet went belly up recently. I don't believe AudioNet voiced their amps with Wilson speakers, and when Vincent Jason Sirinious reviewed them in stereophile it came across as they were leaner than a size 2 model...

And then a few months later, the company goes under... Not the only reason for failure, but had they worked great with wilsons, they may have been able to last...

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Agree. And it also, depends on what you are comparing to... Latest wilson sasha watt puppy is marketing itself as having prodigious bass...

THEY DO ! Having heard them with tubes to say the least . Im sure it would be a tad better with SS . It isnt promenent subwoofer bass but REAL sounding and fast as the recording gives ! Daryl has done wll with the custom Scan speced 22W paper driver, Delightful to say the least !

caesar

May 30, 2010
THEY DO ! Having heard them with tubes to say the least . Im sure it would be a tad better with SS . It isnt promenent subwoofer bass but REAL sounding and fast as the recording gives ! Daryl has done wll with the custom Scan speced 22W paper driver, Delightful to say the least !

Definitely a point of differentiation with the more mild-mannered (in comparison) Magico... interesting how the new Magico S5 will compensate ...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Big congratulations to Wilson Audio on bringing Robert Harley and Computer Audiophile geek to their camp!

For their competition, including Magico, it's like taking a double left to the liver from Mike Tyson...
how many of these can they take?

More analysis to come...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Big congratulations to Wilson Audio on bringing Robert Harley and Computer Audiophile geek to their camp!

For their competition, including Magico, it's like taking a double left to the liver from Mike Tyson...
how many of these can they take?

More analysis to come...

What was the original analysis?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Since there are 23 pages and 455 posts, 456 incl this one, talking about a Wilson spkr none of us have heard, I would say this fact alone makes the title of this thread laughable in the extreme.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Since there are 23 pages and 455 posts, 456 incl this one, talking about a Wilson spkr none of us have heard, I would say this fact alone makes the title of this thread laughable in the extreme.

we have a winner :p;)

Reactions: tima

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, if you are not interested in the marketing side, you are in the wrong place... please do not read, please do not whine...unsubscribe.. life is to short...

but if you have a curiosity about why the audio business is the way it is stay tuned. kids are screaming...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
caesar, to make a point.......you actually have to make that point.....especially in a now 9 month dormant thread. all you did was tease something. we assume from the timing you are jumping on the current XWX interest. but, of course, you have not yet explained that. and the significance of what Harley does or does not do is far past it's sell-by date.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing