Isolation Question- getting low frequency feedback

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Fishfood, it's a bit off topic, but I would love to see a photo of those Diatones. I larger photo would also show the relationship between the speakers and the gear. Are the speakers up off the floor on stands, or just sitting on the floor?

Here you go Peter. The table is approximately 3 feet from the back of the speaker cabinet. Our home is basically a 700 ft loft (right on the Pacific) with a room divider to the right of the pictured Diatone. We'll certainly need some more space if I'm going stay in this hobby!

IMG_0561.jpeg

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
As an aside, one interesting thing about the Diatones is that I find that every LP has a volume level that's right for it. If something isn't sounding as good as it should, one notch up or down always solves it. That's the studio monitor aspect of it all, based on my bit of experience in a recording studio.

Reactions: ddk

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, David!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Here you go Peter. The table is approximately 3 feet from the back of the speaker cabinet. Our home is basically a 700 ft loft (right on the Pacific) with a room divider to the right of the pictured Diatone. We'll certainly need some more space if I'm going stay in this hobby!

View attachment 95612
They look fantastic, congratulations on a great find.

Reactions: ddk and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

View attachment 95612

I fell in love with the speakers when I heard them in Utah. My good friend who just left there found a pair in Japan and they’re now in his listening room. Congratulations. Those speakers are fantastic and you have what seem to be ones in really good condition.

Thank you for posting the photograph and good luck solving your vibration issue.

Reactions: ddk

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
TWIST!!

Swapped in my Audio Sector Patek SE amplifier. Hum/Rumble/feedback whatever-- completely gone!

I guess it's a microphonic tube, right? I'll start going through the Sun Audio amp this weekend and figure out which one it is but I'm pretty sure it's gotta be the 5AR4 that I replaced most recently, which is why I didn't notice it until recently. I'll report back.

Thanks for the kind words about my Diatones. I am forever indebted to WBF for opening my eyes to a whole new understanding about what to expect from my system!

Reactions: PeterA and Solypsa

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I don't think I believe that wall mounts necessarily equate to good isolation.
A couple of my friends are using wall mounts with their turntables and I have doubts about their effectiveness too. It’s usually recommend for suspended turntables and not ideal for unsuspended ones like vpi.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
First Watt SIT-3 on the way! So excited to hear it against the microphonic SET amp.
I imagine many SET fans can be thrilled with Papa Nelson's amplifiers. He doesn't chase the measurements, he is pursuing the tone. And his amps like the same type of speakers as SETs do. High efficiency, linear impedance.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
New Amp Day!

IMG_0564.jpeg

Immediately 85% of the feedback is gone. The 15% left went away with the addition of a rollerblock type isolation under the turntable legs... which destroyed the sound somehow. It was so apparent. Took them out and now I'm just starting the process of listening to the SIT-3!

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Just to follow up- I just received new feet from MNPCTech and the combination of the new feet and placing some rollerblocks under the motor pod has eliminated the low frequency feedback, even while using my microphonic Sun Audio SET amplifier.

So now that everything is working perfectly.... I went out and bought a 4Point because I can't leave well enough alone. I'll use it first on the VPI while I save up for who knows what table. Maybe a 401 or Stabi R or STST or Micro RX?

IMG_0582.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Leekg and Solypsa

Taylor51

Dec 27, 2021
New Amp Day!

View attachment 95894

Immediately 85% of the feedback is gone. The 15% left went away with the addition of a rollerblock type isolation under the turntable legs... which destroyed the sound somehow. It was so apparent. Took them out and now I'm just starting the process of listening to the SIT-3!
Would you mind telling me how a rollerblock type isolation destroyed the sound?

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Try moving your TT away from the sound of your speakers (another room, for example) or build a temporary sound proof enclosure for it. A lot cheaper than scraping your current TT project.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing