Isolation Transformer and Balanced Power versus PS Audio Regenerator

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Thanks again for the recommendation. As I said above, I still prefer my amps straight to the wall
The 6000 series I think are only rated 1000VA. Unless your amps have lower power draw, I'd only be using it for the front end of the system. However, its unlikely that its actually working correctly since the filter caps in its power supplies are probably shot. You may find that things are a little more cut and dried once its serviced out. We don't have a BOM since there are so many different versions of models in the 6000 series. We just service them out depending on what they seem to need.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
The 6000 series I think are only rated 1000VA. Unless your amps have lower power draw, I'd only be using it for the front end of the system. However, its unlikely that its actually working correctly since the filter caps in its power supplies are probably shot. You may find that things are a little more cut and dried once its serviced out. We don't have a BOM since there are so many different versions of models in the 6000 series. We just service them out depending on what they seem to need.
Thanks. I'd love it if that prediction came true.

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Update. Today a blind listening session for my wife (always wondered why it always has to go to the next extremes on audio improvement)..."..3D, mids/voices wider instead of "pinching"..." and that was with the isolation transformer. Differences were not small

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Ralph,

I found my brief comparison of the Equi-Tech 2QR and the PS Audio P10 so befuddling that I stepped away from the idea of purchasing either type of device at the beginning of my future system hatching.

What have been your experiences and what has been your conclusion comparing isolation transformer + balanced power devices to PS Audio regenerator devices?

Thank you.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Dear Ralph,

I found my brief comparison of the Equi-Tech 2QR and the PS Audio P10 so befuddling that I stepped away from the idea of purchasing either type of device at the beginning of my future system hatching.

What have been your experiences and what has been your conclusion comparing isolation transformer + balanced power devices to PS Audio regenerator devices?

Thank you.
I've not compared them. But lacking any active circuitry its difficult to comprehend how the Equi-Tech could correct for distortion that is already in the incoming AC line. Their website seems to lack any information regarding that.

Those big cylinders that hang on the tops of telephone poles are setup-down transformers. Each one is large enough that they can feed several homes. If the current draw exceeds about 50% of their rating, the harmonic distortion generated by the transformer will begin to rise. This is how such harmonics occur on the incoming AC. Sometimes you can reduce it if the transformer is replaced by one of larger capacity, but that has to be done be the utility company :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your speedy and detailed reply!

Overall, I interpret your posts to suggest that you generally support the use of a PS Audio type regenerator in most home audio situations. You seem to believe that even if it does not help materially, it should do no sonic harm.

Is this a fair characterization of your view?

Thank you.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You seem to believe that even if it does not help materially, it should do no sonic harm.
Yes. Some equipment is fairly impervious the AC power problems (circuits that are well regulated often are impervious) and some are not. So individual results will be all over the map. I have fairly clean power at my house and conditioners have no effect there. But at work their effects are easily heard.

Years ago one of my dealers obtained a Superior Electric power conditioner that was made in the late 1950s or early 1960s. It used a single power tube to control a saturable reactor which in turn regulated how much AC voltage was feeding its isolation transformer. To deal with line harmonics there were a series of chokes and capacitors, chosen to passively filter harmonics of the 60Hz input. This unit seemed to really help out a lot of electronics used in the store, but I found also that if you pushed it past 50% of its capacity that it would distort the AC waveform pretty dramatically. This caused havoc with amps that had more significant power draw, like ours. It took a bit to convince the owner of the store to bypass that unit when demo'ing our gear.

This was a really serious lesson about how you can get variable results from a conditioner and how not all 'conditioners' are alike. Quite literally if you don't have active circuitry you can't reliably get rid of distortion on the line.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
In my particular system , I find that the phono stage and dac but not together, benefit from my 4kw balanced transformer that I built some 5 yrs now and bettered a purepower 1050 I had for a few years, however the integrated amplifier is far best suited from the wall outlet, it is completely messed up with the balanced transformer.

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I went through a P5 and P10, and then a P15 since soon after they come out and find it provides a significant benefit. In addition, I've just the past week found that the use of a top flight power cord from outlet to it does wonders. I'd been using a PS Audio AC-12 for some time and decided to give a WyWires Platinum a try. The sound was noticeably clearer but instruments and staging lost focus. Apparently not enough oomph. With their top of the line Diamond pc, the improvement in robustness, clarity, coherence and bass detail has really stood out. I suspect any brand's top of the line power cord will give similar results, tonality aside (I like the modest warmth of the WyWires). Paul McGowan says the units regenerate about 90%, which is why he recommends using a better cord than the OEM provided. I would say the improvement with the right cord is a big 10%.

Reactions: Forte and christoph

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
Power cord selections make a huge impact on any conditioning unit. I use a P-12 for my front-end gear, the Audioquest Tornado was a match made in haven. Other cords were too bright and or fat and slow. The new AQ power cords are excellent, I am redoing my system with them, Blizzard-Tornado's best bang for the buck.

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I think the new gen PS audio (especially p15 and p20) are quite abit better than the previous gen. P20 works well for “most” systems while P15 for less demanding systems. I did not hear distortion with all my gear and amp plugged into the P20 playing 85-92db. I have only been able to tax the P20 load to 65% at 96db.

Attachments

• ED676DD4-B8D9-4DD6-AE92-274D9FC6AA46.jpeg
    ED676DD4-B8D9-4DD6-AE92-274D9FC6AA46.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 12

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I think the new gen PS audio (especially p15 and p20) are quite abit better than the previous gen. P20 works well for “most” systems while P15 for less demanding systems. I did not hear distortion with all my gear and amp plugged into the P20 playing 85-92db. I have only been able to tax the P20 load to 65% at 96db.
Did you also compare your amps alone directly to the wall outlet against your amps into the P20?

I mean the rest of the system stays into the P20 and compare the amps once into the P20 and once directly to the wall socket?

Reactions: K3RMIT

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes. Some equipment is fairly impervious the AC power problems (circuits that are well regulated often are impervious) and some are not. So individual results will be all over the map. I have fairly clean power at my house and conditioners have no effect there. But at work their effects are easily heard.

Years ago one of my dealers obtained a Superior Electric power conditioner that was made in the late 1950s or early 1960s. It used a single power tube to control a saturable reactor which in turn regulated how much AC voltage was feeding its isolation transformer. To deal with line harmonics there were a series of chokes and capacitors, chosen to passively filter harmonics of the 60Hz input. This unit seemed to really help out a lot of electronics used in the store, but I found also that if you pushed it past 50% of its capacity that it would distort the AC waveform pretty dramatically. This caused havoc with amps that had more significant power draw, like ours. It took a bit to convince the owner of the store to bypass that unit when demo'ing our gear.

This was a really serious lesson about how you can get variable results from a conditioner and how not all 'conditioners' are alike. Quite literally if you don't have active circuitry you can't reliably get rid of distortion on the line.

Thank you, Ralph.

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Did you also compare your amps alone directly to the wall outlet against your amps into the P20?

I mean the rest of the system stays into the P20 and compare the amps once into the P20 and once directly to the wall socket?
Yes. Everything was also plugged straight from wall to a passive powerstrip. Was bland. Sounded better with everything plugged into P20.
Also had everything plugged to a SR PC UEF 12 SE. Darker background than PS P20, but I preferred the P20. P20 provides a slight “warmer” sound.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes. Everything was also plugged straight from wall to a passive powerstrip. Was bland. Sounded better with everything plugged into P20.
Also had everything plugged to a SR PC UEF 12 SE. Darker background than PS P20, but I preferred the P20. P20 provides a slight “warmer” sound.
But did you also try only the amps directly into the wall sockets?
Compared to also the amps into the P20?

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Power cord selections make a huge impact on any conditioning unit.
They also can affect any higher powered amplifier and the affect is easily heard and measured. Power cords are not exempt from Ohm's Law- they can develop a voltage drop across them which can limit the output power of an amp, and in the case of a power conditioner, limit its ability to do its job.

There is a reason why electric applicances have heavy power cords! The same reason applies to audio equipment with higher current draw. And not surprisingly, if you simply use a power cord made from the same sort of stuff that is used for heavy appliances you can get excellent results (put another way: the power cord does not have to be expensive).

Reactions: matakana

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes. I have 5 dedicated outlets in my room.
And you liked the amps better via P20 than directly to the wall socket?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing