CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Ricardo007

Ricardo007

Nov 13, 2015
Nos ancêtres les Gaullois
PLiXiR got 3 series of balanced transformer conditioners :
Elite Series ; Cube Series ; Elementa Series.

Highly recommended!
Thanks CK!
My system has no earth wire in the wall so just phase and neutral. In that case, does it still make sense to use a balanced isolation transformer versus a standard isolation transformer?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks CK!
My system has no earth wire in the wall so just phase and neutral. In that case, does it still make sense to use a balanced isolation transformer versus a standard isolation transformer?
Hi Ricardo,
Then probably you have to consider non-balanced type of isolation tranformer conditioners instead.
The same situation is in Japan, where most of the mains are two-ponged.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Ricardo,
Then probably you have to consider non-balanced type of isolation tranformer conditioners instead.
The same situation is in Japan, where most of the mains are two-ponged.
Does your Plixir eliminate ground loop hum?

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
5252B03D-2F80-44D9-928C-34462A90C970.jpeg
Four of my seven PLiXiR Elite BACs are in this pic - I’m so happy that every front-end component (and their outboard DC power supplies) are now fed with AC power from the “magnificent seven” Elite BACs !

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
This was a great string, I had a power conditioner back in the 90s but I felt my amp was being choked down, maybe time to revisit some new devices. How many others here unplug from ac when not in use. Had a serious melt down with a power surge a few years back ?

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Wouldn’t a regenerator be the only devise to guarantee proper voltage to motorized devises (transports, turntables, tape decks) in an under supply condition? I often recall my PS Audio Premier displaying a line input with low voltage or momentary dropouts. On the output, it displayed low distortion THD and a rock steady117 VAC @ 60Hz. It was my experience in Listening that these devices often sounded much better on the PS than direct connected to the wall.

I understand a preamp or especially power amplifier sounding better not on a devise that limits dynamic instantaneous current.

Last edited:

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
We keep it as simple as possible Kris, a DC filter of 16,500 uF is all that is required. The transformers do the rest. Start up is handled by a 2 stage process, a current limiting switch and direct switch in parallel. This proved better sonically than relays etc..

To my knowledge, no other unit uses multiple circuits, this is key to get the best out of the principle of balanced power, the improvement is not subtle either, and immediately obvious..

KR,
Paul
Paul, since it is about AC, what are the capacitors for wrt DC?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
ArnoFenn,

The caps block any residual DC component riding on the AC line introduced by half wave rectifiers in many household appliances, commonly causing toroidal's to hum.
Rgds,
Paul

Cedar

May 21, 2020
Sacramento CA
Has anyone used balanced isolation transformers provided by Toroid Corporation, located in Maryland? They offer transformers in enclosures.

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Currently I am working on having my dedicated audio power supply upgraded to 10 AWG and ending in a 6x furutech box at the audio system.
Secondly I received the isolation transformer (3kVA) this week and will connect this soon at the incoming side.

I am going that direction after doing several listening trials with 2 older 1.5kVA transformers, connected as balanced (without shield/screen) and the difference was substantial (for the positive) with the transformers.

From the furutech-box, the SET amps are directly fed as well as the tube phono-pre. The rest, mainly digital is going through an IsoTek.

Attachments

• IMG_3527.jpg
    IMG_3527.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3528.jpg
    IMG_3528.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3529.jpg
    IMG_3529.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3530.jpg
    IMG_3530.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3531.jpg
    IMG_3531.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
ArnoFenn,

The caps block any residual DC component riding on the AC line introduced by half wave rectifiers in many household appliances, commonly causing toroidal's to hum.
Rgds,
Paul
Hi Uk Paul,

This may be a silly question but can you please explain what is stopping residual DC on an incoming AC line causing vibration and hum on the toroidal transformer of the Symetrica?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Uk Paul,

This may be a silly question but can you please explain what is stopping residual DC on an incoming AC line causing vibration and hum on the toroidal transformer of the Symetrica?

heebrog,

Hello; we use 2 large Vishay capacitors and a 35amp bridge rectifier (in parallel to the caps), all in series on the primary side of course.

Best Regards,
Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: heebrog

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Had some days of listening trials with/without isolation transformer....and this is not a subtle difference I must say. Second thought was, did it get better or worse with the transformer. Listening to a double bass, without seemed better, but voices....500% for the transformer better. Now my analysis would be that the any distortion/noise added to a single double base gives it some extra crunch/harmonics etc...but this is destroying the mids of a voice. Next steps, get a nice cabinet and install the transformer ;-)

Reactions: christoph

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I don’t remember the exact source of this information, but FWIW, it was from a North American toroidal isolation transformer manufacturer. Note the first graph - most relevant for audio. Basically obliterates common mode noise on the AC line. The graph to the R also says “common mode”, but I suspect that it’s a typo - it should read “differential (normal) mode”.

I wished that “power conditioner” manufacturers would be more transparent with the objective data / measurements of their products and provide more graphs like these!

Attachments

• C2113939-1E7F-497F-B8FF-8D3E0EA033DD.jpeg
    C2113939-1E7F-497F-B8FF-8D3E0EA033DD.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Haven't read the entire thread, so please do let me know if this issue has been addressed, but...

I've had very mixed results with my balanced power unit (BPT 10.5 Ultra). There's no doubt that it improves my digital equipment, but I've had two tube preamps that just don't sound right on it. Given the basics of the technology, I am convinced that I'd hear the same thing on any balanced power based conditioner. Both of those pres did improve when plugged into my Elgar power conditioner though (bought on Ralph's recommendation @Atmasphere). And my First Watt amps prefer being straight into the wall.

The variance in experiences across devices makes it very difficult for me to make solid recommendations about power, other than that dealing with it is essential.

The effects are always small, but they're of a really important type. The noise that otherwise makes it through just makes it impossible to fully relax into the music in my system. Sadly, I'm also sure I'm not all the way there yet.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Did you get the Elgar refurbished?
Not yet. I was planning on doing it myself, but then it sounded too good to unplug (and was also so f***ing heavy I didn't want to move it). I was actually going to email you and see if you happened to have a BOM for a 6006B...

Thanks again for the recommendation. As I said above, I still prefer my amps straight to the wall, but everything else sounds way worse without it. I also run my balanced power conditioner on the Elgar line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing