It’s All a Preference

it's supported by a United States Patent.

Great what's the patent number so we can look it up and have a look.

Rob:)

If it is related to sound reproduction, this is an appropriate forum to discuss it, but I really do think that the best place to start might be to do a series of posts in the DIY forum, detailing the theories, their history, how you've implemented them and the results you've achieved. They may very well show that the conventional wisdom is all wrong, but opposing the conventional wisdom in long posts that may (or may not) eventually reveal your positions and your work, in bits and pieces, strikes me as inefficient and poor communication at best. Lay it out. Then we'll all know position.

Tim

Yeah but it sounds cool.

Tim

More support that it's not all preference from here (when it comes to music preferences anyway) http://www.musica.uci.edu/mrn/V4I1S97.html#consonance
The findings support the conclusion that the privileged status of intervals that have simple frequency ratios over those with complex frequency ratios is the result of a biological bias. Thus, consonance and dissonance are not simply determined by culture. It should be pointed out that this processing advantage may make it easier to comprehend tonal than atonal music This is not to say that people cannot do the latter, but only that it is likely to be more difficult.. The evolutionary processes (e.g., potential selective advantages) and the brain mechanisms (e.g., auditory system circuitry) that underlie consonance are not yet known. Nonetheless, the findings to date are themselves "consonant" with the view that music is not only a cultural phenomenon but that it has quite definite origins in the way that the human brain evolved.
This also could have some bearing on what we perceive as "edginess" in digital audio Vs relaxation in vinyl reproduction i.e the noise floor etc. of vinyl is of much less importance than the dissonant characteristics of digital - the edginess & the finding that it fatigues us because of the extra processing effort required by the brain.

More support that it's not all preference from here (when it comes to music preferences anyway) http://www.musica.uci.edu/mrn/V4I1S97.html#consonance
This also could have some bearing on what we perceive as "edginess" in digital audio Vs relaxation in vinyl reproduction i.e the noise floor etc. of vinyl is of much less importance than the dissonant characteristics of digital - the edginess & the finding that it fatigues us because of the extra processing effort required by the brain.

Depends on the specific vinyl noise, John. Normal surface noise? Yeah it's pretty harmless. Some even seem to like it. Snap Crackle Pop? Annoying as hell. Worse than digital distortion? I'm not at all sure to be honest. I can only recall having heard a DAC with an edge nasty enough to approach the audibility of a crackly record surface once. It was pretty bad.

Tim

Depends on the specific vinyl noise, John. Normal surface noise? Yeah it's pretty harmless. Some even seem to like it. Snap Crackle Pop? Annoying as hell. Worse than digital distortion? I'm not at all sure to be honest. I can only recall having heard a DAC with an edge nasty enough to approach the audibility of a crackly record surface once. It was pretty bad.

Tim

Tim,
My point is that distortion that effects us at the subconscious level & only becomes expressed consciously as discomfort (edginess) can be a more important factor in disturbing our enjoyment of audio than the consciously obvious noises like surface noise & snap/crackle of vinyl which we seem to be able to "hear through" to the music. Our ears/brains are expert at audio filtering - focussing on a conversation in noisy environment or a baby's cry from a long distance away.

SO your comparison of snap & crackle Vs equivalent obvious noises in digital audio, misses the point.

It's desperate; headed rapidly toward pathetic. Almost makes me long for Frank to come along and change the subject to eliminating inaudible distortion by wiring his underwear to the microwave. Comic relief would be good about now.
By phelonious ponk

Indeed :D
Just want to check - is this a comment on what I just posted?

No its part of a message P P posted a couple of pages ago i think it was page 45 , but i couldnt quote the whole message , it reminds me of an audiophile who turned of all electric equipment in the entire house for " serious undisturbed " listening.:D

:)

No its part of a message P P posted a couple of pages ago i think it was page 45 , but i couldnt quote the whole message , it reminds me of an audiophile who turned of all electric equipment in the entire house for " serious undisturbed " listening.:D

Aren't they all on the same electrical line? A refrigerator motor can't affect the sound? A computer doesn't put hash into the AC line?

Tim,
My point is that distortion that effects us at the subconscious level & only becomes expressed consciously as discomfort (edginess) can be a more important factor in disturbing our enjoyment of audio than the consciously obvious noises like surface noise & snap/crackle of vinyl which we seem to be able to "hear through" to the music. Our ears/brains are expert at audio filtering - focussing on a conversation in noisy environment or a baby's cry from a long distance away.

SO your comparison of snap & crackle Vs equivalent obvious noises in digital audio, misses the point.

You're right. I was absolutely off the plot. I thought you were talking about audible distortions, not something slowly eating away at my well-being on a subconscious level. I spent about 2 hours playing along with Spotify last night. My subconscious must be reeling!

Tim

Aren't they all on the same electrical line? A refrigerator motor can't affect the sound? A computer doesn't put hash into the AC line?

I'm sure it can. And yet the fridge is on, the air conditioner is running, the computer is right here, and the background beneath my music is quiet.

Tim

I'm sure it can. And yet the fridge is on, the air conditioner is running, the computer is right here, and the background beneath my music is quiet.

Tim

Well, that is truly bizarre, because if I plug even my TV into the same circuit as the fridge I can see a glitch every time the fridge turns on, and if I turn the volume up enough on the home theater I can hear a faint buzz if the fridge is turned on. Humbuster and power conditioning seem to lower it, but only unplugging the fridge completely eliminates it. Most of us do have air conditioning on a separate circuit, fortunately, or I suspect it would do even more damage.

My stereo room has a dedicated line with none of the above problems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu