JackD201 - Almost Done

thanks for inviting me to your new place Jack. Always nice to see you my friend, I hope to reciprocate your hospitality one day.

your system sounds awesome, the VR 9's certainly breathes much better in the bigger room.

It was great to see you again after so long Ding! I hope that next time you can stay in the old country a bit longer. :)

Yo Jack! I think an updated picture is in the offing? :)

If I recall you were the ones taking pictures bro! ;) ;) ;)

If I recall you were the ones taking pictures bro! ;) ;) ;)

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take shots of the room. It was more the people in it. Plus, I think I need that "beast" of a lens to improve my shots. ;)

Enough of this foreplay...pictures!

Just for you Gavin. Again, the photographer's curse, I am in none of the shots.

P1010061.jpg

P1010063.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010070.jpg

black and white photos were heavily "photoshopped" as the lights were practically off

Last edited:
nephilim,

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Jack,

Oodles of fun, I'm sure :) Simply...terrific!

It was definitely a blast Sam, Thanks!

Jack old buddy, you and your brother have ended up with the best of the best but the journey was just as important. Like I've said before, a once in a lifetime experience.

Today was a good day Gavin, the teflons were on the upward part of the cap roller coaster ride. The system is just so alive. :)

So how does your brother like things now?

Oops sorry Frankie. I've been traveling a lot and the focus lately has been on prepping a compact system for condo and apartment dwellers for the upcoming Philippine audio show. I still haven't met with the isolation transformer supplier and my electrical contractor. It's also taking a long time to get all these new teflon caps burned in. In the meantime I've softened the sound a bit by using my tweeter attenuators, swapping out some tubes and using a slightly lossier set of speaker cables just to make the burn in process less painful.

Tinfoil hats work better ;) ;) ;)

"Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue" I believe that's how a certain wedding tradition goes. It seems apt for my Analog rig too I guess.

For the old I've got a TW Acustic 10.5 Raven arm I scored second hand off of a good friend of mine. The new would be the arm tower and arm board for the third spot on my AC-3. The borrowed would be the arm board lug the original of which must have been spirited away by some Filipino version of a leprechaun. The Blue would be my MY Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent BC which has sort of a blue collar on it.

The MY Sonic has been with me for a while now but it hadn't seen much action since we moved despite it being one of my favorite carts. Jim had borrowed the matching 302 step up transformer and I've been quite happy using the XV-1t, A-90 and Koetsu Jade Platinum rotating duties on their own wands on the Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 arms already installed. When my buddy Ferdie from sunny Cebu City told me he was letting go of his TW + Armboard and at a real buddy price at that, I took one look at the empty posts and pulled the trigger. I ordered the requisite tower mount (it was on a Raven One) from my other buddy the local TW dealer. Finally the tower arrived and he set up everything for me just the way I like it. My big bro Jim who I borrowed the missing lug from sent my 302 along with said borrowed piece of german submarine steel metallurgy.

I'm currently using a phonostage that was custom built for me in Germany that I had spec'd for four discreet sets of inputs. Input one has 1:10 silver toroid step ups, two and three 1:20 versions and four, a direct MM. It's a rather minimalist circuit that uses one 12ax7 and one 12at7 tubes. I took out the stock Full Music 12ax7s and JJ801s and put in matched and balanced Telefunken 803s and 801s. The power supply is separate and one can select either tube or SS rectification. I'm currently doing SS. I wish I hadn't sold my rectifier tube collection. :(

I'm really digging being able to switch arms and carts in seconds. I'm a happy camper!

I'm really digging being able to switch arms and carts in seconds. I'm a happy camper!
And that reminds me: I'm very aware how different cartridges sound with a cold suspension versus one that's stabilised in its properties, typically taking a number of sides to get there. Cold cartridges rip strips of skin from inside my ear, especially the expensive ones. In your swapping around how do you handle this, or don't you worry about such things?

Frank

It's not a problem at all Frank. None of my carts are low compliance. What you mention I've never experienced. It is usually associated with places with very low humidity and is served up as a double whammy with low temperature. These are conditions that are never met over here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing