JL Audio Fathom F112 v2

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
I have been offered two x JL Audio Fathom F-112 V2, demo-ex to a very very attractive price. A good match for any speakers? My Martin Logan ESL 11 in particular? I am not looking for a movie sub/s hence something that blends seamlessly to a pair of speakers in music. I dont want or need base. I need a fuller experience in all registers.

Attachments

• IMG_5941.png
    IMG_5941.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
I have one I use one F112V2 WITH MY Piega c8ltds with excellent results .I only have room for. 1.
The system seems fuller when I switch it on.
I have it on a solid steel stand with Gaia 1 footers.

Reactions: The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
I have one I use one F112V2 WITH MY Piega c8ltds with excellent results .I only have room for. 1.
The system seems fuller when I switch it on.
I have it on a solid steel stand with Gaia 1 footers.
Nice! Do you have any pics of it on the steel stands?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@The Knife may help to know how you want to use them, iow at what crossover, next to speakers or not, etc.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
@The Knife may help to know how you want to use them, iow at what crossover, next to speakers or not, etc.
Next to speaker. And crossover so them melt seamlessly with my Martin Logans. Guess I have to find the level. I dont want to hear them when they are on, I want to miss them when they are off.

Reactions: Solypsa

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
I would go for it, assuming you don't think there will be any integration issues with your other gear. They're excellent subwoofers.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I use an F110 in a small room with full range speakers. Took a long time to dial in and get them to the point where as you say, don't notice they're there, do notice when they're not. One underappreciated aspect of setup - at least in my system - is height. Couldn't get mine to disappear until it was raised off the floor. Mine's on a stand circa 20cm above floor level

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
These subwoofers will do exactly what your asking for but probably not positioned right next to your speakers.

If that's a great deal of room treatment you've listed it won't ameliorate the need for these subwoofers to be first integrated with the room prior to their integration with the speakers.

Positioned in your rooms most prominent standing wave bass modes their flexibility will allow them to preform to their potential using a minimum of power and performance robbing frequency equalization.

If memory serves me the F series is equipped with an internal low frequency calibration test tone cadence. With one sub placed at your listening position and the cadence playing a slow walk around your room should reveal your rooms loudest standing wave modes for positioning the subs in.

If all goes as well as it should, you may change your speakers but not those subs.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
These subwoofers will do exactly what your asking for but probably not positioned right next to your speakers.

If that's a great deal of room treatment you've listed it won't ameliorate the need for these subwoofers to be first integrated with the room prior to their integration with the speakers.

Positioned in your rooms most prominent standing wave bass modes their flexibility will allow them to preform to their potential using a minimum of power and performance robbing frequency equalization.

If memory serves me the F series is equipped with an internal low frequency calibration test tone cadence. With one sub placed at your listening position and the cadence playing a slow walk around your room should reveal your rooms loudest standing wave modes for positioning the subs in.

If all goes as well as it should, you may change your speakers but not those subs.
Good advice. I have only place for these puppies next to my speakers do. No other place.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Good advice. I have only place for these puppies next to my speakers do. No other place.
The f112 has a built-in room compensation facility and comes with a calibrated microphone for that purpose. It is intended to help with exactly your problem. Have you tried it?
"A complete set of signal processing features is easily accessible on the front surface of every Fathom. These include a highly flexible low-pass filter, variable phase, switchable polarity, e.l.f. trim and our powerful Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system. A calibrated microphone is included for the D.A.R.O. system. Input connections are made via unbalanced RCA connections or balanced Neutrik® combo XLR/TRS jacks. Also included is an XLR output to connect a second Fathom® as a slave unit."

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
The f112 has a built-in room compensation facility and comes with a calibrated microphone for that purpose. It is intended to help with exactly your problem. Have you tried it?
"A complete set of signal processing features is easily accessible on the front surface of every Fathom. These include a highly flexible low-pass filter, variable phase, switchable polarity, e.l.f. trim and our powerful Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system. A calibrated microphone is included for the D.A.R.O. system. Input connections are made via unbalanced RCA connections or balanced Neutrik® combo XLR/TRS jacks. Also included is an XLR output to connect a second Fathom® as a slave unit."
And add a CR-1 crossover for the final touches!

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Added it later. I used to have a Trinnov Amethyst which has DRC in it w/ crossover for two subs. When I moved on from that, I bought the CR-1.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok. Well. I have an offer from my local dealer to buy 2x F112v2 (basically) brand new at half price. Call it a X-mas deal :). Might push the buy button any day now. How long way do you think one can come with the in package attached mic-solution? I was thinking I could start there and avoid extra boxes and cords, if possible. I am not in the market for a cinematic experience, hence for the subs to blend seamless with the speakers. Probably will set them at a very low level.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Ok. Well. I have an offer from my local dealer to buy 2x F112v2 (basically) brand new at half price. Call it a X-mas deal :). Might push the buy button any day now. How long way do you think one can come with the in package attached mic-solution? I was thinking I could start there and avoid extra boxes and cords, if possible. I am not in the market for a cinematic experience, hence for the subs to blend seamless with the speakers. Probably will set them at a very low level.
The built-in EQ and the CR1 do separate things. The EQ correct the FR errors that are imposed by room acoustics. The CR1 integrates the subs with the main speakers. Two relevant reports:

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
The built-in EQ and the CR1 do separate things. The EQ correct the FR errors that are imposed by room acoustics. The CR1 integrates the subs with the main speakers. Two relevant reports:
Excellent! Thanks! The CR1 is essential in a JL Audio setup. Having read quite a few different reviews now on high end subwoofers I think one must land in that hifi-heights are best reached with introduction of some sub-support.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Excellent! Thanks! The CR1 is essential in a JL Audio setup. Having read quite a few different reviews now on high end subwoofers I think one must land in that hifi-heights are best reached with introduction of some sub-support.
Well, in an analog system, I would agree. There are other digital solutions.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
look what turned up today.

20240305_130203.thumb.jpg.f45ad00bf7b97253869d9e709d8f84ca.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing