Cancelled my Magnepan 30.7 order - sad experience - over 1 year wait and promises broken

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I wonder how Apogee felt about it?

newbee

Jun 4, 2019
I'm new here and not an audiophile. I thought Apogee is a type of an apple. Learn something new everyday.
The reason I ended up wrecking here was I am checking the reputation of an amplifier which I am interested in buying.
And ran into Magnepan story. I just got 20.7. I was patiently waiting for delivery calling the dealer only once until delivery.
I had some technical question and called Magnepan but no one answered for three days.
I thought it went out of business before finishing my 20.7.
Now I am thinking they blocked all the incoming phone for this disgruntled customer. I asked the dealer but he didn't know why.
I have no idea for any other equipment and am careless about it because I have no friends to show off.
I just like music and heard about flat speaker during college days in magazine.
Finally I stumbled into Magnepan starting MMG and am happy about it.

I have a question to mag guy, josh.
I've been concerned about upgrading to 20.7 because there is so much controversy by audiophiles in various forum.
It's been said Maggie requires mega ton class of amplifier anonymously.
I am just amazed to see how 20.7 sounds perfect with my existing amp Parasound A21.
I already bought two mono 800 W amps but it is horrible and in the process of returning. I will not mention the name.
Contrary to my worry, A21 handle awesome and don't feel any lack of power.
So it proves all the rumor were incorrect and Magnepan was not misleading anyone as someone said.

But my question is the sound will much more realistic if I get monster amp and hook up to 20.7 or the quality of sound remains same and just I will be able to crank volume higher.

I am living on fixed income by gracious US stipend and want to limit my extravaganza.
Thanks for your advice.

Jan 26, 2012
I'm new here and not an audiophile. I thought Apogee is a type of an apple. Learn something new everyday.
The reason I ended up wrecking here was I am checking the reputation of an amplifier which I am interested in buying.
And ran into Magnepan story. I just got 20.7. I was patiently waiting for delivery calling the dealer only once until delivery.
I had some technical question and called Magnepan but no one answered for three days.
I thought it went out of business before finishing my 20.7.
Now I am thinking they blocked all the incoming phone for this disgruntled customer. I asked the dealer but he didn't know why.
I have no idea for any other equipment and am careless about it because I have no friends to show off.
I just like music and heard about flat speaker during college days in magazine.
Finally I stumbled into Magnepan starting MMG and am happy about it.

I have a question to mag guy, josh.
I've been concerned about upgrading to 20.7 because there is so much controversy by audiophiles in various forum.
It's been said Maggie requires mega ton class of amplifier anonymously.
I am just amazed to see how 20.7 sounds perfect with my existing amp Parasound A21.
I already bought two mono 800 W amps but it is horrible and in the process of returning. I will not mention the name.
Contrary to my worry, A21 handle awesome and don't feel any lack of power.
So it proves all the rumor were incorrect and Magnepan was not misleading anyone as someone said.

But my question is the sound will much more realistic if I get monster amp and hook up to 20.7 or the quality of sound remains same and just I will be able to crank volume higher.

I am living on fixed income by gracious US stipend and want to limit my extravaganza.
Thanks for your advice.
Hi Newbee,
The A21 is a wonderful amp, often considered the beginning of high end amplification. I have one myself and often use to drive my Tympani IVA's, an earlier Maggie model that's even bigger than the 20.7's. I doubt you'll ever hit the limits of the A21, unless you want to blast your ears off -- it will drive your speakers to very high levels with ease. If you do want a larger John Curl design, you could buy the Parasound JC 5 (I think that's the latest model). Or if you listen at the point where you regularly blow fuses, you could check out the Sanders Magtech -- I've heard nothing but good things about it from those who own it.

So what do you get if you spend more? A bit of refinement. Because beyond the A21, you're basically in the area of diminishing returns, by which I mean differences that are subtle. You can spend $100,000 on amps that double as space heaters if you want, and some of them really are lovely, but it's not like loudspeakers or even DAC's, the difference between the better amps (and by that I don't mean all *expensive* amps) is like the difference between different vintages of a fine wine.

So -- if you have a few thousand that's doing nothing and you want something that weighs 130 pounds and sounds about as good as any Class AB amp in the world, you could try a Pass X Series. If you're insane, the big Pass Class A monoblocks, or tubes. These amps are wonderful, but they aren't necessary to enjoy your speakers, and you shouldn't let yourself be pressured into buying one -- you should do it only if you fall in love with it, and can afford it without mortgaging your wife and kids!

newbee

Jun 4, 2019
Josh:
My word is limited to express my appreciation for your answer not because it saves my money but because it is the only scientifically accurate and ethically cleansing. I have been lurking around all kinds forums to investigate the available information without participating for last fifteen years, you are the only person saying the truth in plain terms.
I'm sure there are lot more honest person like you but most of them stay behind the stage and no way to see them.
It definitely points me direction and now I may end this journey searching for the truth.
I heard about Magtech recently and that was the main purpose of wandering around.
Now it is clear that I have to minimize the expectation if I decide to get it when the Dow Jones hit the 30,000 point.
Once again I sincerely appreciate your advice.
Thanks Josh.

newbee

Jun 4, 2019
Hello Josh:
I suppose you are not the same Josh at Sanders Sound.
Per your opinion I got the Magtech and am extremely happy with it.
Maggie comes alive vividly with Magtech.
I believe this will end my endeavor to seek my desired audio gadgets.

By the way I forgot to mention that I hesitated to jump on to get 20.7 without auditioning before giving an order.
But no choice unless I fly to somewhere.
So I went to Martin Logan dealer near by to see possibility of getting ML.
It took less than five minute to decide to go with 20.7 while I was listening to ML.

Thanks again for your honest advice.
By the way Josh at Sanders is a wonderful man too.

Jan 26, 2012
Hello Josh:
I suppose you are not the same Josh at Sanders Sound.
Per your opinion I got the Magtech and am extremely happy with it.
Maggie comes alive vividly with Magtech.
I believe this will end my endeavor to seek my desired audio gadgets.

By the way I forgot to mention that I hesitated to jump on to get 20.7 without auditioning before giving an order.
But no choice unless I fly to somewhere.
So I went to Martin Logan dealer near by to see possibility of getting ML.
It took less than five minute to decide to go with 20.7 while I was listening to ML.

Thanks again for your honest advice.
By the way Josh at Sanders is a wonderful man too.
Excellent! I'm glad you're enjoying the Magtech, I've heard nothing but good things about it. And -- well, let's just say you made the right choice to get the 20.7. :)

Too bad that so few dealers demo their flagship models . . .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing