Cancelled my Magnepan 30.7 order - sad experience - over 1 year wait and promises broken

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I wonder how Apogee felt about it?

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
I can't imagine they were happy! But I've never heard anything from someone who would know.

newbee

Jun 3, 2019
I'm new here and not an audiophile. I thought Apogee is a type of an apple. Learn something new everyday.
The reason I ended up wrecking here was I am checking the reputation of an amplifier which I am interested in buying.
And ran into Magnepan story. I just got 20.7. I was patiently waiting for delivery calling the dealer only once until delivery.
I had some technical question and called Magnepan but no one answered for three days.
I thought it went out of business before finishing my 20.7.
Now I am thinking they blocked all the incoming phone for this disgruntled customer. I asked the dealer but he didn't know why.
I have no idea for any other equipment and am careless about it because I have no friends to show off.
I just like music and heard about flat speaker during college days in magazine.
Finally I stumbled into Magnepan starting MMG and am happy about it.

I have a question to mag guy, josh.
I've been concerned about upgrading to 20.7 because there is so much controversy by audiophiles in various forum.
It's been said Maggie requires mega ton class of amplifier anonymously.
I am just amazed to see how 20.7 sounds perfect with my existing amp Parasound A21.
I already bought two mono 800 W amps but it is horrible and in the process of returning. I will not mention the name.
Contrary to my worry, A21 handle awesome and don't feel any lack of power.
So it proves all the rumor were incorrect and Magnepan was not misleading anyone as someone said.

But my question is the sound will much more realistic if I get monster amp and hook up to 20.7 or the quality of sound remains same and just I will be able to crank volume higher.

I am living on fixed income by gracious US stipend and want to limit my extravaganza.
Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: Doktorfuture

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
I'm new here and not an audiophile. I thought Apogee is a type of an apple. Learn something new everyday.
The reason I ended up wrecking here was I am checking the reputation of an amplifier which I am interested in buying.
And ran into Magnepan story. I just got 20.7. I was patiently waiting for delivery calling the dealer only once until delivery.
I had some technical question and called Magnepan but no one answered for three days.
I thought it went out of business before finishing my 20.7.
Now I am thinking they blocked all the incoming phone for this disgruntled customer. I asked the dealer but he didn't know why.
I have no idea for any other equipment and am careless about it because I have no friends to show off.
I just like music and heard about flat speaker during college days in magazine.
Finally I stumbled into Magnepan starting MMG and am happy about it.

I have a question to mag guy, josh.
I've been concerned about upgrading to 20.7 because there is so much controversy by audiophiles in various forum.
It's been said Maggie requires mega ton class of amplifier anonymously.
I am just amazed to see how 20.7 sounds perfect with my existing amp Parasound A21.
I already bought two mono 800 W amps but it is horrible and in the process of returning. I will not mention the name.
Contrary to my worry, A21 handle awesome and don't feel any lack of power.
So it proves all the rumor were incorrect and Magnepan was not misleading anyone as someone said.

But my question is the sound will much more realistic if I get monster amp and hook up to 20.7 or the quality of sound remains same and just I will be able to crank volume higher.

I am living on fixed income by gracious US stipend and want to limit my extravaganza.
Thanks for your advice.
Hi Newbee,
The A21 is a wonderful amp, often considered the beginning of high end amplification. I have one myself and often use to drive my Tympani IVA's, an earlier Maggie model that's even bigger than the 20.7's. I doubt you'll ever hit the limits of the A21, unless you want to blast your ears off -- it will drive your speakers to very high levels with ease. If you do want a larger John Curl design, you could buy the Parasound JC 5 (I think that's the latest model). Or if you listen at the point where you regularly blow fuses, you could check out the Sanders Magtech -- I've heard nothing but good things about it from those who own it.

So what do you get if you spend more? A bit of refinement. Because beyond the A21, you're basically in the area of diminishing returns, by which I mean differences that are subtle. You can spend $100,000 on amps that double as space heaters if you want, and some of them really are lovely, but it's not like loudspeakers or even DAC's, the difference between the better amps (and by that I don't mean all *expensive* amps) is like the difference between different vintages of a fine wine.

So -- if you have a few thousand that's doing nothing and you want something that weighs 130 pounds and sounds about as good as any Class AB amp in the world, you could try a Pass X Series. If you're insane, the big Pass Class A monoblocks, or tubes. These amps are wonderful, but they aren't necessary to enjoy your speakers, and you shouldn't let yourself be pressured into buying one -- you should do it only if you fall in love with it, and can afford it without mortgaging your wife and kids!

newbee

Jun 3, 2019
Josh:
My word is limited to express my appreciation for your answer not because it saves my money but because it is the only scientifically accurate and ethically cleansing. I have been lurking around all kinds forums to investigate the available information without participating for last fifteen years, you are the only person saying the truth in plain terms.
I'm sure there are lot more honest person like you but most of them stay behind the stage and no way to see them.
It definitely points me direction and now I may end this journey searching for the truth.
I heard about Magtech recently and that was the main purpose of wandering around.
Now it is clear that I have to minimize the expectation if I decide to get it when the Dow Jones hit the 30,000 point.
Once again I sincerely appreciate your advice.
Thanks Josh.

Reactions: josh358

newbee

Jun 3, 2019
Hello Josh:
I suppose you are not the same Josh at Sanders Sound.
Per your opinion I got the Magtech and am extremely happy with it.
Maggie comes alive vividly with Magtech.
I believe this will end my endeavor to seek my desired audio gadgets.

By the way I forgot to mention that I hesitated to jump on to get 20.7 without auditioning before giving an order.
But no choice unless I fly to somewhere.
So I went to Martin Logan dealer near by to see possibility of getting ML.
It took less than five minute to decide to go with 20.7 while I was listening to ML.

Thanks again for your honest advice.
By the way Josh at Sanders is a wonderful man too.

josh358

Jan 25, 2012
Hello Josh:
I suppose you are not the same Josh at Sanders Sound.
Per your opinion I got the Magtech and am extremely happy with it.
Maggie comes alive vividly with Magtech.
I believe this will end my endeavor to seek my desired audio gadgets.

By the way I forgot to mention that I hesitated to jump on to get 20.7 without auditioning before giving an order.
But no choice unless I fly to somewhere.
So I went to Martin Logan dealer near by to see possibility of getting ML.
It took less than five minute to decide to go with 20.7 while I was listening to ML.

Thanks again for your honest advice.
By the way Josh at Sanders is a wonderful man too.
Excellent! I'm glad you're enjoying the Magtech, I've heard nothing but good things about it. And -- well, let's just say you made the right choice to get the 20.7. :)

Too bad that so few dealers demo their flagship models . . .

planarman

Apr 30, 2017
Sad first post but here it goes:

After MORE THAN ONE YEAR waiting, experiencing bad support and bad communications / updates from Magnepan, AND after being lied to and promises they made broken, I just had to cancel.

Worst experience with any audio company I've ever had. In my opinion they don't know how to give good customer service at all.

About 9 months AFTER unordered them I was told : 'pick another color we are not making them in white/blue like our touring example or like on the cover of AbsolutebSound'. It was a very dismissive, and not at all apologetic update so I cancelled then.

My dealer went through hell and high water to find a solution. What was it? 4000 up charge! And dealer said he would eat it. That is good service so I let it proceed. But Magnepan didn't seem to give two farts about me.

Roll forward another 3 months or so (February 2019) (at least a YEAR now from first order) and still no progress. I call them and their marketing guy PROMISES they will make it in MARCH.

I call end of March - nothing done yet at all. Over a year and 4 to 5 months since the colorway process was agreed to and nothing built at all for me or painted. So they broke their promise to me and no updates from anyone.

So again, in disgust, I cancelled. I left a voicemail with Wendell.

I think Wendell called my dealer with a last plea.

Dealer tries again to get them to hustle and says they need a week to get the trim painted. He says the speakers are built but nothing painted. Ok I think, it's been 4ish months since we found a way forward with the paint shop and so I give them the last date: April 15th - crated and shipped. I figure two weeks is enough to finish a speaker build if the main thing is already built. It is now over a year.

And I say that is it.

Yesterday, April 11th I call and ask the dealer if they were going to meet that date and apparently there is a 'paint problem' -- huh? Apparently two pieces are slightly different and they need AT LEAST another week.

So I just can't do it. I had to cancell. These people do not deserve my money and do not care to honor their promises.

Even if I got them in 2-3 weeks every time I'd look at them would make me sick to my stomach and remind me I'm such a sucker. Four big white Magnepan Albatrosses around my neck. I just couldn't do it.

I think my dealer even tried to save it one last time by offering me a center channel for free. He claimed Magnepan would do this but I think he just made that up because a week prior it was going to be offered to me at cost. Yes I was going to buy the center too.

I feel so very bad for both me and my dealer. The Magnepan experience was very awful. I like the product but the company is very bad when it comes to supporting the high end.

In speaking with their marketing person in February, he seemed to throw Wendell under the bus as well -- very unprofessional IMO but he is who promised they would be built in March and they broke that promise. He promised I would be in the March batch of six.

Magnepan was a terrible experience. No Magnepan 30.7 for over a year, told bluntly to 'pick another color's They are not ready at all for thr high end audio market.

What did this Magnepan 30.7 ordeal cost me?
In hard cash 2 new Bryston 7Bsst3 amps and a used Martin Logan CLX. About 30 grand Canadian. Amps were for these Maggie's.

For over a year I was a a gullable sucker, waiting for them to ship. Meanwhile I held off fixing my Acapella plasma tweeters and also purchased those Bryston amps and Martin Logan CLX Art's (for rear surrounds haha in my loft condo). So for a year my system is honestly in shambles waiting for these. Instead of beautiful music I had a Frankenstein system for a year. I am so mad at myself for letting it go on so long.

I have so much anger towards Magnepan for the huge delays and being lied to and their obvious amature communications, customer support philosophy and production process.

So now what should I look at? Alsyvox?

Money is really not the issue but I let Magnepan rob me of one year of a good audiophile setup, not withstanding the 30k extra supporting equipment for this project.

And the worst thing is I am totally absolutely sure Magnepan the company doesn't care about me as a customer at all and I worry for other people, hence this post.

And honestly I really want people to question whether this company deserves your money. I run a few companies and bend over backwards for my customers. Not Magnepan.

It is telling there seem to be NO reviews or videos by anyone receiving their Magnepan 30.7's online (April 13th 2019).

Absolute Sound overall product of the year 2017? No reviews by April 2019?

Still feel sad and sick to my stomach. I'm more angry at myself for trusting them for so long.

Ordering Magnepan 30.7 = four Albatrosses. If you don't get the reference search Google.

Bloody sad experience. Bloody Magnepan.
There is a much better speaker out there it is the GT Audioworks Reference 3 Planar speakers
They have rave reviews.
Reichert from stereophile said they can go one on one with any loudspeaker cost no object.
They do not have membranes that resonate like the magna Planars, pure copper traces( not inferior aluminum) and proprietary membrane that is like a Kevlar vest that does not resonate.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I find it comical that posters feel obligated to comment on whether the OP's post was justified. Last time I checked, this is an open forum and clearly the company did a major disservice to the OP. Period.

And if the company had such great customer service they could have A) backed out at any time or B) provided a deliver date with adequate padding. In addition, since the customer is buying the company's flagship product, how about Wendell calls the prospective customer to apologize. I'm guessing most critical folks on this thread either have never ran a company or if they did it's OOB.

Doktorfuture, I wish you the best in your continued speaker search and hope this doesn't occur again. This is why we have the BBB to ensure companies deliver on their commits.

Kennyjfar

Jan 18, 2021
I apologise if you misunderstood my comments. I'm not trying to diminish your experience or question your truthfulness. I was just suggesting from my own personal experience that reaming out a manufacture on a high end audio forum is counter productive. You just end up with headaches and make a lot of enemies that way. If you feel you've been dudded by the manufacturer, then vote with your feet and move on. Live and learn as they say. Then if you see an audiophile on a forum asking for advice about said manufacturer, you can give your honest opinion. That's the constructive way to deal with your frustration.

I was once screwed over on a deal for a 2nd hand pair of speakers which I ended up taking a heavy loss on. But rather than deal with it constructively, I let it eat me up inside until I vented on an audio forum the seller belonged to. That lead to me cancelling my membership after a run in with one of the Mods (who in turn permanently banned me after I left the forum). Similar attitudes have also cost me my membership on other forums. You just have to take away the lesson, make peace with yourself and move on. My 2c.
So you think don’t say anything and let every one go through the same thing ?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Just going through this thread once again, as I missed a few good points. Many have stated very valid points here and all I can add is this:

My long time trusted family friend/distributor/Sth East Asian regional head representing many top end brands, basically said the same thing. The Maggie team are inundated with all sorts of drama, customer back orders, filling current orders for the LRS, and trying to maintain its highend division based on the 20.7 and 30.7... they're going flat out! There have been many delays over various models, only satisfied customers are those who purchased from dealers are very happy, simply because those dealers had stock! Now usually a large multi-panel type such as the 30.7's won't be stocked with any dealer. So orders are pending... and excuses will continue to flow from various angles- paint, ribbon elements, wiring, final touches etc. Nonetheless, the OP was kept in the dark and this is unacceptable no doubt. However, there's always two sides of the story, so this time round hopefully Wendell and his team get their act together!

One of our well known audiophile mates over in Aus received his 30.7's within the stipulated time frame. The main dealer flew in from Sydney to help set up, although initially I helped him to actually setup the 30.7's...
The dealer was in constant touch with Wendell and tuned them sort of ok... however after a few months of properly running them in, the owner has now repositioned them much better to suit the room well. So the question is, was the dealers time wasted through the contact of Wendell... can't say. However, it was probably necessary since this was still such a new item for Magnepan to offer and get right, which they're still grappling with.

Yes, agreed on the crossover units, the 30.7's in Spore have both been modded with Duelands and Mundorfs, in addition to some very high grade fancy parts on the outboard units. They sound exceptionally fantastic with the Relentless amplifiers! One of a kind performance! But at a one of a kind high price point.

Anyway, I truly hope the Dok settles in for something worthwhile. As he mentioned money is not an issue, in which case the choices are basically skies the limit!

I've heard quite extensively the Alsyvox, as well as the top line AA ribbons, all are very different, not one is superior to the other. Just different and it's a matter of personal preference.

Go for it mate! All the best .
Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing