Job 225

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
My brother in law has Gallo 3.5's. He has used Gary 100 watt mono blocks, Bryston 4B, and Peavy. Surprising everyone the Peavy PV-3800 was the best sounding amplifier with these inefficient speakers. I know the pro amplifier does not have the out right precision of an audiophile amp, but it is not to far off. Power was the key and I would suspect the Job's muscle not quite enough.

On another subject, with the experience I've had through his system, anyone considering a purchasing of a vintage amplifier due to budget limitations should also be considering new pro amplifiers like this Peavy.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Latest I heard was that preamp possibly by June and monoblocs by year end. Best source.

I would love to see an integrated with simple remote.

alexandrov

May 28, 2012
Sofia
after a month of listening to Job225 only (50+ hours of burn-in maybe) I've made a brief comparison with my Harman/Kardon HK990. HK990 has darker signature, more rolled off highs, better control and stable images, much better focus, better 3D, deeper soundstage, better instrument separation. I prefer it in every aspect than the FR which is not suitable to my PSB Synchrony One and Weiss DAC202U, both smooth and bassy. The Job225 has accent on the high mids, which compensates the smoothness of the other components. Anyway, this amp is a disappointment to me so far...

Last edited:

ozarktom

Jun 23, 2013
after a month of listening to Job225 only (50+ hours of burn-in maybe) I've made a brief comparison with my Harman/Kardon HK990. HK990 has darker signature, more rolled off highs, better control and stable images, much better focus, better 3D, deeper soundstage, better instrument separation. I prefer it in every aspect than the FR which is not suitable to my PSB Synchrony One and Weiss DAC202U, both smooth and bassy. The Job225 has accent on the high mids, which compensates the smoothness of the other components. Anyway, this amp is a disappointment to me so far...

The amp will sound better after 100 hours of break-in. Mine sounded thin until then.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London

Which preamp are you using with the JOB? The negatives you describe sound symptomatic of a preamp mismatch. The JOB has very high gain, which makes finding a suitable preamp for it rather difficult.

alexandrov

May 28, 2012
Sofia
well... I don't have a brand new Job 225 for comparison but I think after almost 2 months of use it sounds more controlled, focused and smooth. I've made some brief comparisons with HK990 and the harman's superiority in terms of 3D and focus is not so audible but still exists to a lesser extend. I'm not sure, I got used to the sound of Job225 OR there is real improvement. Anyway, it's my primary amp for some time :)

KLH007

Feb 2, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Any new news on the JOB front, preamp, monos, etc.? Is everyone satisfied with their JOB 225s? Is the Sweetcord the P/C of choice, others considered and used?

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
interested in this one. am thinking of this for my brother as an upgrade to his Krell KAV 250a. does anyone here have experience with this particular Krell and the Job?
best regards
André

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm in the market for a high sensitivity / high gain amp, and the Job seems to do the job. All other options are class D. Only caveat with the Job is heat. My basement gets warm in the summer and I cannot afford to run a spaceheater amp. Any users care to comment on heat generation? I read it heats up quite a bit. I presume it is not a class A amp so it can't be that bad.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Hi,

I have 2 Job amps running Front R&L and Biamp Center. Each get hotter then my 2 channel integrated tube amp. They sound great but if heat is of any concern you might want to reconsider.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'm in the market for a high sensitivity / high gain amp, and the Job seems to do the job. All other options are class D. Only caveat with the Job is heat. My basement gets warm in the summer and I cannot afford to run a spaceheater amp. Any users care to comment on heat generation? I read it heats up quite a bit. I presume it is not a class A amp so it can't be that bad.

Class A/B and they apparently give off less heat after 100 hours of break in.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

There is some "heated" discussion over on SNA
Someone measured the heats sinks at 98c

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/ind...and-listening-impressions/page-2#entry1192181

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011
It appears the heat generation will depend a lot on the load. For starters, I will be using just one channel, which should help. Safest would be to just get one in on trial. Do you know if they offer return? Site does not say.

I know at one point they offered returns but charged a 15% fee.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing