KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gryphon has historically been too warm and chocolately for my taste, but the new Essence seems to be a departure from that voicing and in no way analytical or fatiguing. I have heard from several people in the business that its the best sounding Gryphon now, and the most inexpensive.

Even if it's at a higher price point than you're looking for at this time, it's great that you found for your ears a bull's-eye match for the Fyne.

Reactions: KeithR

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Fyne doesn't have a horn but there is quite a bit of tech in that driver and enclosure with a horn style, tractrix port. For amps, I'd look to pair Fyne with lower power Class A SS and push/pull tube. SS amps that are interesting include the 47 Labs Fudou ($10k), Valvet A4 monoblocks ($10k), or used Dartzeel 108 (Class AB, but was really good on Zu). Lavardin might be another. The Gryphon Essence ($23k) of course was fantastic for a higher tier solution. For tube I'd look to Linear Tube Audio's Ultralinear or ZOTL40 amps. The Luxman MQ-88 would be another tube option. All less than $10k.
The tweeter is a compression driver where the throat is inside the voice coil of the 12 inch cone and the cone acts like the horn mouth. Like Tannoy and several pro coax drivers.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Hi folks. I'm new here and just wanted to step in to say what an incredibly educational thread this has been. Currently on p103. Plenty of great contact despite the occasional derailing. Thanks for sharing your experience.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi folks. I'm new here and just wanted to step in to say what an incredibly educational thread this has been. Currently on p103. Plenty of great contact despite the occasional derailing. Thanks for sharing your experience.
You have a great system that I've admired on Audiogon for awhile. Welcome to WBF.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
You have a great system that I've admired on Audiogon for awhile. Welcome to WBF.
Thanks Jeffrey! Sadly I'm selling my house, so the system is going into storage next week. Probably shouldn't since I know I'm nowhere near the peak of what my Coincidents are capable of, but I've been thinking about using the house money to buy something new. This thread and its various off-shoots have been super instructive. I've got Sadurni on my "listen and see list." Wish I could hear these Pnoe unicorns in America, AER offers an amazing eight week home audition, but two-way shipping across the Atlantic ain't cheap and I like complex electronica. Like Keith, I'm more than happy to stay where I'm at. My Coincidents have their weaknesses, but can play everything and always give honest feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Welcome to WBF!

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Thanks Ron! Just wrapped up the thread this evening (forgot I had already back read the last 20 pages before committing to the full stack) and it's been a great covid quarantine journey. Great work Keith, and congrats on finding great sound. I love your patience and pace. If only everyone in the hobby moved so thoughtfully. I'm sure the YGs sound spectacular. I really enjoyed my time in their factory listening room. A great space if any of you end up with some free time in Denver. Plus you can take a side trip up to Boulder and listen to PS Audio's two rooms (one with the big Infinity setup and a second with their own speakers). They're great. I had a channel go out in my Directstream DAC and they just let me hangout in the Infinity room for 2 hours while they fixed it. Not as impressive as the YG , but a lot of fun getting to adopt the big system all by my lonesome. I was on a Kraftwerk kick at the time...

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Now, onto the high efficiency thread.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well maybe if Shooter is willing to have guests over, might be worth a visit.
I would definitely not show up at anyone called "Shooters" door unannounced :eek:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm traveling to Dallas in a few weeks - if there are any must-hear speakers located there, let me know!
What was your verdict on the Fyne speakers?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I posted a full write-up a week ago on them.
Yeah, I read that, thx. What I was getting at was it was not clear to me that these could be replacements for the YGs and therefore open up a lot of possibility to find better amps. Your YGs seem to have been a struggle to find suitable amps...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
One year update:

A year with the YGs during a pandemic has been fascinating to say the least. I've gone through a half dozen amps (with some big names), mucked with power, grounding, fuses, cables, and even added a tube preamp to the stable. Perhaps being home all the time has allowed me to do this and really nail the setup- and I believe with certainty that I have. YG with LTA and Ampzilla is a really, really good combo and one that nobody on this forum probably expected to be the answer. The YG Haileys do what they do best - soundstage, flow, with microdynamics from a non-overdamped cabinet. I do feel that I'm missing some of that Sonja experience in my house (see pg. 31 for that review) and some of that push that other higher efficient speakers do better. Although there is a smooth and refined sound that YG produces that most of those speakers don't do.

Over the past few months, I've had several opportunities arise on other speakers I've really liked. A forum member offered me Duo Mezzo XDs and I seriously considered them - not to mention they were in an ideal color configuration. But ultimately I went back to my posts on the speaker and difficulty putting one in my current 19' x13.5' room without a lot of space to cohere properly. (speaking of horns, I still want to hear the Cessaro Wagner, but that's a trip to the east coast that's not on the table right now) I've also considered getting a pair of Zu Druid VIs or Cube Audio Nenuphars for fun and just having two speakers - one big rig and the other "anti-hifi". But as much as I like Zu, I honestly prefer DeVore and the Cubes just don't seem like a rock out kind of speaker.

When I heard the big Fynes, I thought that I might have experienced a modern blend of the two camps. That big, present dynamic sound but with some smoothness and refinement. An opportunity afforded itself with my friend and dealer Mike Bovaird, so I have a pair of F1-12s on order. I spent a lot of time evaluating the 10" vs 12" but ultimately determined I will prefer the low end extension on the larger loudspeaker even though the 10" is a more natural fit for my room. It's a gorgeous speaker in walnut and it will be interesting what I think about them in my room compared with my Haileys. And of course I can trade both for a pair of Sonja 2.2s if I get crazy later on :)

So I'm going to have two of my favorite speakers in house soon. The Fyne has different amplifier requirements being a 96db/8ohm speaker and I will borrow a few amps from local friends and dealers including the SIT-3, Dart 108, and Luxman m900. Will the Zillas keep their reign even on a more efficient speaker? The Lux as you might recall I *very much* enjoyed tonality and texture-wise so I'm thinking it could be an ideal pairing. We shall see in May.

ps. tubes still need not apply due to my disability and reliability concerns nor do I like SET amps anyways

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Keith, on arriving at a new loudspeaker decision!

I guess these F1-12s will be the first ones on the West Coast, so we look forward to you blazing some new trails as you try different amplifiers with them.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
One year update:

A year with the YGs during a pandemic has been fascinating to say the least. I've gone through a half dozen amps (with some big names), mucked with power, grounding, fuses, cables, and even added a tube preamp to the stable. Perhaps being home all the time has allowed me to do this and really nail the setup- and I believe with certainty that I have. YG with LTA and Ampzilla is a really, really good combo and one that nobody on this forum probably expected to be the answer. The YG Haileys do what they do best - soundstage, flow, with microdynamics from a non-overdamped cabinet. I do feel that I'm missing some of that Sonja experience in my house (see pg. 31 for that review) and some of that push that other higher efficient speakers do better. Although there is a smooth and refined sound that YG produces that most of those speakers don't do.

Over the past few months, I've had several opportunities arise on other speakers I've really liked. A forum member offered me Duo Mezzo XDs and I seriously considered them - not to mention they were in an ideal color configuration. But ultimately I went back to my posts on the speaker and difficulty putting one in my current 19' x13.5' room without a lot of space to cohere properly. (speaking of horns, I still want to hear the Cessaro Wagner, but that's a trip to the east coast that's not on the table right now) I've also considered getting a pair of Zu Druid VIs or Cube Audio Nenuphars for fun and just having two speakers - one big rig and the other "anti-hifi". But as much as I like Zu, I honestly prefer DeVore and the Cubes just don't seem like a rock out kind of speaker.

When I heard the big Fynes, I thought that I might have experienced a modern blend of the two camps. That big, present dynamic sound but with some smoothness and refinement. An opportunity afforded itself with my friend and dealer Mike Bovaird, so I have a pair of F1-12s on order. I spent a lot of time evaluating the 10" vs 12" but ultimately determined I will prefer the low end extension on the larger loudspeaker even though the 10" is a more natural fit for my room. It's a gorgeous speaker in walnut and it will be interesting what I think about them in my room compared with my Haileys. And of course I can trade both for a pair of Sonja 2.2s if I get crazy later on :)

So I'm going to have two of my favorite speakers in house soon. The Fyne has different amplifier requirements being a 96db/8ohm speaker and I will borrow a few amps from local friends and dealers including the SIT-3, Dart 108, and Luxman m900. Will the Zillas keep their reign even on a more efficient speaker? The Lux as you might recall I *very much* enjoyed tonality and texture-wise so I'm thinking it could be an ideal pairing. We shall see in May.

ps. tubes still need not apply due to my disability and reliability concerns nor do I like SET amps anyways
Thank you for such a consistently informative and enjoyable thread.
Will look forward to your continuing chronicles.

Reactions: Al M. and KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing