KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sure, I don’t care for darTZeel anyway but a 90 watt PP triode amp with Lamms reputation should surely interest someone with 96db speakers...especially if purchase isn’t required to try it...

Brad, I agree, it is always fun to hear stuff without buying. I know of a famous amp designer who brought his large monos to a potential clients house and did not even want to hear the system first with the large Pass flagship XS amps in the system. He claimed he knew what Pass sounds like, though he had never even heard these four box flagships. So he simply disconnected them and inserted his own tube amps. I was surprised that he showed no curiosity at all, even as a baseline to understand the client's system sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: cal3713 and Solypsa

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I did suggest you borrow them not buy...if it’s not a lot of effort and Jeff is willing then what is there to lose? Maybe the LTA is better but so what?
it is a lot of effort to drag 2, 100lb crates to a friends house an hour away with no intent on purchasing them.

i don't do that to my friends. also, the ML1.1 is known to have less bass than I require in my system.

Reactions: christoph

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
it is a lot of effort to drag 2, 100lb crates to a friends house an hour away with no intent on purchasing them.

i don't do that to my friends. also, the ML1.1 is known to have less bass than I require in my system.

Yes, I took my 130 lb Pass monos to Ian's house, and he brought his to my house. It was fun, but a real hassle.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
They would sound absolutely fantastic on Keith's Fynes but I've sold them. I had the M2.2 before the Ml1.1's, they also sound excellent. The M1.2 supposedly sounds better.

Congratulations on selling those amps so fast. I really liked the M1.1s that I borrowed for a while. Great products.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Ok, I and my friends work differently...we bring stuf over for the fun of it...big amps, DACs...even speakers sometimes. How would you know what the bass is like with that amp on your speakers if you haven’t tried it...? You can’t assume from other speakers...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Ok, I and my friends work differently...we bring stuf over for the fun of it...big amps, DACs...even speakers sometimes. How would you know what the bass is like with that amp on your speakers if you haven’t tried it...? You can’t assume from other speakers...
Brad,
I've offered to bring over the Lamm's a few times. Keith doesn't want big heavy tube amps, he's made that very clear. So if he doesn't want these amps, I'm not going to lug 200 LBS of amps 2 hours in LA traffic. If he gets another big/heavy amp, he wants the reliability of solid state.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I had the M2.2 before the Ml1.1's, they also sound excellent. The M1.2 supposedly sounds better.

Yes, by a little bit, though it depends on speakers.. The M2.2 runs in class A for its first 36W then in A/B. The M1.2 is pure Class A. The former has about twice the power of the latter. As my friend Paul Bolin once said "there is no second class sound at Lamm."

Reactions: ddk and jeff1225

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I decided to order a second LTA. The synergy is just so real with one I felt it the best option. Gryphon would be my second option, but they are rare so not holding my breath.

I will try a Nagra Classic stack in 2022 from my dealer as well. It didn't work on YG, but could be an excellent match for Fyne. I think this is preferable than an uber integrated from one of the other Swiss brands or Vitus.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
I decided to order a second LTA. The synergy is just so real with one I felt it the best option. Gryphon would be my second option, but they are rare so not holding my breath.

I will try a Nagra Classic stack in 2022 from my dealer as well. It didn't work on YG, but could be an excellent match for Fyne. I think this is preferable than an uber integrated from one of the other Swiss brands or Vitus.
Congrats! Seems like the right decision to me, and as I said before, I strongly believe in monoblocks/independent power supplies.

I don't know if it's possible (i.e., given the amplifier design), but if it is safe to try, you might also try leaving each monoblock in stereo configuration and only running one channel (while shorting the other channel's input). I believe that the mono switch is not only going to give you more power, but also double your damping factor, which could be either good or bad depending on what the Fyne's like best. If safe, the experiment might be worth it just for the knowledge acquisition, even if you do end up wanting the extra power reserves.

I've tried both with my amplifiers (25W) and speakers (94db @ a flat 8 ohms), and ended up forgoing the extra power and just running a single amplifier channel in each monoblock. I was convinced I wanted more power, but was wrong.

Just something to think about.

Enjoy the new amp Keith.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Not trying to Hijack your thread, but looks like I am in similar boat. I just changed the speakers from monitor audio PL500II to Fyne F1-12 and they are definitely big step up. MA PL500II are amazing speakers but they need big room to shine. If I had big room, I would have not changed the speakers.
Fyne F1-12 are amazing musical speakers. Actually the best purchase so far. I am really in joy and could not be happier. That aside, I want to try class A / tube amps (Balanced/ XLR) and am currently looking for gryphon essence, Ayon crossfire, Allnic A-6000 and decware zen Tor II monos.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Not trying to Hijack your thread, but looks like I am in similar boat. I just changed the speakers from monitor audio PL500II to Fyne F1-12 and they are definitely big step up. MA PL500II are amazing speakers but they need big room to shine. If I had big room, I would have not changed the speakers.
Fyne F1-12 are amazing musical speakers. Actually the best purchase so far. I am really in joy and could not be happier. That aside, I want to try class A / tube amps (Balanced/ XLR) and am currently looking for gryphon essence, Ayon crossfire, Allnic A-6000 and decware zen Tor II monos.
welcome to a mighty Fyne club!

Gryphon Essence sounded great on them in my original audition, much better than Pass. For P/P tube amps, the LTA Berning designed UL+ is wonderful. I'm not a SET fan, so no comment.

There are some expensive SS amps I'd still like to try including Gryphon and maybe even Boulder (which I've heard is more tube like than the Essence). The new Luxman might also be a great alternative. Nagra might grace my room for a demo too.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSOphile and hogen

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Funny, I just saw a used Allnic A-6000 on USAudiomart this morning...

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...itor-upgrade-10-eml-xls-300b-tubes-available/

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020

Gryphon Essence sounded great on them in my original audition, much better than Pass. For P/P tube amps, the LTA Berning designed UL+ is wonderful. I'm not a SET fan, so no comment.

There are some expensive SS amps I'd still like to try including Gryphon and maybe even Boulder (which I've heard is more tube like than the Essence). The new Luxman might also be a great alternative. Nagra might grace my room for a demo too.
Nagra is an excellent choice. Very interested to wait for your audition. I am also looking into canary m600 and Lamm m1.2.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020

Keith
What footers are you using with the Fyne ?. The stock footer spikes are very musical in itself. I changed to Gaia 1 and they seem to be more dynamic, with big soundstage and high bass. But I am not finding this translate to being musical.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Just a quick update - I've settled on using the Music First TVC with the LTA UL+ monos. It's a very synergistic combination. I like the LTA preamp too, but feel it isn't necessary with the monos after long term swaps over the past month. Will probably try some other SS amps in the spring/summer when I have more time.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, by a little bit, though it depends on speakers.. The M2.2 runs in class A for its first 36W then in A/B. The M1.2 is pure Class A. The former has about twice the power of the latter. As my friend Paul Bolin once said "there is no second class sound at Lamm."

In fact when we get a M1.2Ref we get two different amplifiers, both able to deliver around 100W in class A . In the so called "1-6 ohm " mode the amplifier has higher current bias and lower voltage rails, in the "8-16 ohms" it has lower bias current and higher voltage rails.

With the XLF's I prefer them in the "8-16 ohms", but I can imagine that the Alexia II ask for the "1-6 ohm" setting.

Reactions: christoph and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
In fact when we get a M1.2Ref we get two different amplifiers, both able to deliver around 100W in class A . In the so called "1-6 ohm " mode the amplifier has higher current bias and lower voltage rails, in the "8-16 ohms" it has lower bias current and higher voltage rails.

With the XLF's I prefer them in the "8-16 ohms", but I can imagine that the Alexia II ask for the "1-6 ohm" setting.

Yes, with minimum 2.54 ohms impedance, I run the Alexia series 2 on the low impedance setting. It is nice to have the flexibility. I'm running higher impedance for an 8-Ohm speaker here for review.

That same feature is available with the M2.2 with higher output:

Rated Output Power​
HIGH IMPEDANCE SETTING
minimum continuous sine-wave power, from 20Hz-20KHz with no more than:
0.3% THD (FTC) @ rated line voltage > 220 Watts into 8 Ohms (41 Watts Class A operation).
0.3% THD (FTC) @ rated line voltage > 440 Watts into 4 Ohms (20.5 Watts Class A operation).
0.5% THD (FTC) @ rated line voltage > 700 Watts into 2 Ohms (10.25 Watts Class A operation).
1% THD (FTC) @ rated line voltage > 900 Watts into 1 Ohm (5.125 Watts Class A operation).
LOW IMPEDANCE SETTING
minimum continuous sine-wave power, from 20Hz-20KHz with no more than:
0.3% THD (FTC) @ rated line voltage: 220 Watts into 4 Ohms (41 Watts Class A operation).
0.5% THD (FTC) @ rated line voltage: 440 Watts into 2 Ohms (20.5 Watts Class A operation).
1% THD (FTC) @ rated line voltage: 600 Watts into 1 Ohm (10.25 Watts Class A operation).

Reactions: ctydwn

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Just a quick update - I've settled on using the Music First TVC with the LTA UL+ monos. It's a very synergistic combination. I like the LTA preamp too, but feel it isn't necessary with the monos after long term swaps over the past month. Will probably try some other SS amps in the spring/summer when I have more time.
Hey Keith, can you maybe talk a little bit about the change in sound after going to two monoblocks? Glad to hear you're still enjoying the LTAs.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing