KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
Hi KeithR and all ,

I don't know if you know or have heard of the French loudspeaker brand AtlantisLab, and if it is represented by a distributor or reseller in your country, but they have their biggest model, their flagship called AtlantisLab. AT31, which could well sow a very big problem in your list of loudspeakers that you are aiming for, and this, for much much less! This speaker is a UFO in the world of stereo and even more! Its only flaw is that it is devoid of any aesthetic glitter which is "Very high end" for the eyes! but on the other hand, for the ears, they send all these beautiful speakers to their respective cellars!

I sincerely think that the AtlantisLab AT31 really deserves that we take a little trouble trying to listen to them without any ulterior motive, and to be compared without any consideration of price! You just have to ignore an aesthetic and finish, like 10 coats of lacquer … because the essential is well elsewhere !

Attachments

• 30BB60CE-1A3F-4472-8D1E-889B7B60B634.jpeg
    30BB60CE-1A3F-4472-8D1E-889B7B60B634.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 36

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi KeithR and all ,

I don't know if you know or have heard of the French loudspeaker brand AtlantisLab, and if it is represented by a distributor or reseller in your country, but they have their biggest model, their flagship called AtlantisLab. AT31, which could well sow a very big problem in your list of loudspeakers that you are aiming for, and this, for much much less! This speaker is a UFO in the world of stereo and even more! Its only flaw is that it is devoid of any aesthetic glitter which is "Very high end" for the eyes! but on the other hand, for the ears, they send all these beautiful speakers to their respective cellars!

I sincerely think that the AtlantisLab AT31 really deserves that we take a little trouble trying to listen to them without any ulterior motive, and to be compared without any consideration of price! You just have to ignore an aesthetic and finish, like 10 coats of lacquer … because the essential is well elsewhere !

Funny, I have this black horn at home! It is from the pro brand 18 sound (XT 120 I think it is called). I could not get it to sound right with my compression drivers but their big XT1464 is a great horn and for little money.

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
Funny, I have this black horn at home! It is from the pro brand 18 sound (XT 120 I think it is called). I could not get it to sound right with my compression drivers but their big XT1464 is a great horn and for little money.
Like what, the manufacture of loudspeakers, the perfect development, the agreement between the channels... can not be invented, contrary to what many believe! In any case This pair of AT31 with an Aries Cerat Diana or Genus... it's musical bomb without a bit of aggressiveness or caricatural sound !

Reactions: morricab

Papic971

Mar 1, 2021
I have several times the opportunity to listen in various showrooms, extra high-end speakers, on Electronics of the same categories (the price of a house), which in the end were bland, lifeless, smooth musicality , false heat, not even making you want to tap your foot… in short, leaving no memory! So yes, visually it impresses, but in any case not the ears! A kind of listening that is far too intellectual for my taste! but I can understand that it flatters buyers, fans of make-up and other glitter!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have several times the opportunity to listen in various showrooms, extra high-end speakers, on Electronics of the same categories (the price of a house), which in the end were bland, lifeless, smooth musicality , false heat, not even making you want to tap your foot… in short, leaving no memory! So yes, visually it impresses, but in any case not the ears! A kind of listening that is far too intellectual for my taste! but I can understand that it flatters buyers, fans of make-up and other glitter!
What would you say were your big speaker disappointments, when the price did not match the quality when it comes to sound?

Regarding AtlantisLab. AT31 - I never had an opportunity to give it a try, but from the looks of it, I would say it is not hideous or ugly. It's a conservatively simple design. It's key to stress that the speaker box/enclosure's main function is not the looks, but how they affect the sonics of the product.

In fact, the speaker enclosure is an active partner in the enterprise of sound reproduction, and its design and construction strongly influence the character of the sound.

The main job of the speaker enclosure is to prevent the sound cancellation. It must keep the sound radiation from the front of the cone from colliding in mid-air with the sound radiation from the rear of the cone.

The ideal enclosures do not suppress the back radiation from the speaker but allow it to make an audible contribution.

Dasmania

Feb 14, 2021
I have the symphonies ~ incredible with Jadis 845 amps

Reactions: christoph

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
with shows coming back this year, I should be able to hear some new speakers this summer and provide you guys more commentary. I hope Cessaro and Verity are at the LA one, as they have long been on my audition list. I won't be going to Axpona unfortunately and RMAF of course is now gone.

Reactions: Folsom

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
A pair of (trade in) Nagra Classics have entered the Fyne room…they seem to prefer my LTA preamp for now. I’ve experimented with a Nagra phono stage before, but not the amps. They are very attractive, and quite svelte at 40lbs. Im around 10 watts on big heavy electronica in the 90dbs according to the meters. This will be an interesting demo as I’ve had their Swiss counterpart Dartzeel in already.

C92473D5-CB5C-4752-A60F-BDD20071A5AA.jpeg

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
well after a lot of experimentation, the best Nagra combination is actually a single Classic amp with Music First TVC. My guess is that while bridging gets you more power, it takes something away. The sound is more dimensional and rich with a single amp, To their credit, Nagra allows you to use them to biamp as well but I don't have the cables.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
well after a lot of experimentation, the best Nagra combination is actually a single Classic amp with Music First TVC. My guess is that while bridging gets you more power, it takes something away. The sound is more dimensional and rich with a single amp, To their credit, Nagra allows you to use them to biamp as well but I don't have the cables.

Keith, how does this sound compared to other combinations you’ve had in your room? Are you still searching for the right amplifier?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Keith, how does this sound compared to other combinations you’ve had in your room? Are you still searching for the right amplifier?
I rarely agree with Jay from Jay’s Audio Lab but I do agree with him that the Nagra Classic amps don’t offer much sound quality…again YMMV…

Reactions: SCAudiophile

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, Jay's a friend of mine but he uses hard to drive speakers. I've heard the pair of Nagras on my YGs and they were thin and lacked life and dynamics. On the Fynes, it's a 180 degree difference. They are very tonally saturated with excellent bass. Also have a more refined top end than the LTAs, which as I've discussed previously hide nothing on top.

I believe the natural comparison is to DartZeel - I'd say the Dart is a bit more pure and 3d, but lacks the tonal shadings and texture of the Nagra. The latter is definitely a more musical amp and has much better bass. The (single) Nagras weakness is soundstage width - while it excels in depth, I feel the sound is more in the speakers. It could be a setup thing and revisiting toe in might help. Also, I'd still prefer a bit more liquidity like the LTAs provide (a tube vs. SS thing). That all said, it's a fantastic SS amp and up for consideration. My dealer is going to bring back the Classic Pre with the Amp after the LA audio show.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
more amps will be visiting KeithR's Fyne system!

I just inked a deal for a used BAT VK-255SE. As @morricab has said for some time, they used to make really musical amps with great bass. The 655SE with YG was a consideration but just too unwieldy for my room. A long time ago, my Greenwich, CT dealer (an engineer no less) used to profess the VK-250SE was his favorite little amp in the store. It just didn't work with the Watt Puppys and Maxxes at the time at only 125 watts. I used to own lots of BAT tube gear - the 75SE, 31SE, 51SE, 300xSE, etc.

Also, I am working to get a Vitus SIA-25 in for demo. I feel that it's one of the uber high end brands that at least I need to hear. I am a bit concerned by the recent company shake up but the distributor assured me its for the best as the sons are much better businessmen than Hans was. I also am not positive 25 watts is enough for my room and musical tastes.

Looking back on it all, I probably should have purchased the Gryphon Essence with the speakers, but it was just too much $ at the time. CH and Boulder are still out there but pretty expensive. I passed on a used CH M1.1 last week.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
more amps will be visiting KeithR's Fyne system!

I just inked a deal for a used BAT VK-255SE. As @morricab has said for some time, they used to make really musical amps with great bass. The 655SE with YG was a consideration but just too unwieldy for my room. A long time ago, my Greenwich, CT dealer (an engineer no less) used to profess the VK-250SE was his favorite little amp in the store. It just didn't work with the Watt Puppys and Maxxes at the time at only 125 watts. I used to own lots of BAT tube gear - the 75SE, 31SE, 51SE, 300xSE, etc.

Also, I am working to get a Vitus SIA-25 in for demo. I feel that it's one of the uber high end brands that at least I need to hear. I am a bit concerned by the recent company shake up but the distributor assured me its for the best as the sons are much better businessmen than Hans was. I also am not positive 25 watts is enough for my room and musical tastes.

Looking back on it all, I probably should have purchased the Gryphon Essence with the speakers, but it was just too much $ at the time. CH and Boulder are still out there but pretty expensive. I passed on a used CH M1.1 last week.
That should work well with the Fynes. Another good choice would be an Ypsilon Phaeton integrated. Heard a couple in Munich and it reinforced to me just how darn good it sounds.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, my BAT is at the service center. After a few days I noticed some image drift, maybe one channel gain is off. So going to be awhile before a report with Fyne. I am working on getting a headphone rig setup for night listening in the interim. Stax is probable.

In other news, I will be at the Long Beach Hifi Show this weekend - and finally get to hear Verity Sarastro (and Othello)! Full report to come. That was one of two speakers under consideration a long time ago that just wasn't easy to hear out west. My friend Cakeaudio now deals the line and will be showing with Vitus.

We will also hear the new DeVore "O Baby" which should be fun. Stenheim with CH, yet again but in a smaller room. And Vimberg/Borreson are going to be there for the first time - not my cup of tea design, but will be happy to report on them for others. I know TAS and Soundstage hype them.

If there is anything people want a report on, post it on this thread. Exhibitor list below:

Reactions: Folsom

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well, my BAT is at the service center. After a few days I noticed some image drift, maybe one channel gain is off. So going to be awhile before a report with Fyne. I am working on getting a headphone rig setup for night listening in the interim. Stax is probable.

In other news, I will be at the Long Beach Hifi Show this weekend - and finally get to hear Verity Sarastro (and Othello)! Full report to come. That was one of two speakers under consideration a long time ago that just wasn't easy to hear out west. My friend Cakeaudio now deals the line and will be showing with Vitus.

We will also hear the new DeVore "O Baby" which should be fun. Stenheim with CH, yet again but in a smaller room. And Vimberg/Borreson are going to be there for the first time - not my cup of tea design, but will be happy to report on them for others. I know TAS and Soundstage hype them.

If there is anything people want a report on, post it on this thread. Exhibitor list below:

Sorry to hear about the BAT going down. Is it sonically in the right direction for you?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Verity speakers:

I only had around a half hour at THE Show for these, but heard both the Othello (Vitus) and Sarastro (Thrax PP 300B). I think alot of the things said on them rang true in person. It's a speaker line that is voiced for musicality and with very nice wood work. The Sarastro was in a larger suite and I found the sound too smooth in the midrange, but the ribbon also wasn't doing anything for me either. I'm typically not a big ribbon fan to begin with. Bass also was a bit funky, but could solely be a function of a show experience.

The Othello in a smaller room on simple Vitus integrated had really nice tonality, was open and expressive, and with very tuneful bass. I found it better sounding than the big room. The Othello was more integrated with the soft dome tweeter. I do think the Verity "MO" can be a tad polite, but it's certainly better than most of the speakers I heard that day. I enjoyed them very much. Overall I probably prefer both Devore and Fyne in a similar camp as they are more dynamic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pallen and bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing