KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
LTA has been getting some serious praise around here. Good for them/Berning!

Reactions: Fred Crane

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Two questions: 1) Are the Fynes keepers? 2) Are these the final amps you will try? If PP tube seems to work best there are a lot of options out there.
I believe so. Things appear to be much easier in this system on all music genres. I was even listening to Stone Temple Pilots yesterday ;) I really enjoy the dynamic ease, the breath of life, and the Fynes easy nature. I will get to hear the Veritys and Cessaros of the world at some point or at a show and report back on them too. fwiw, Dick Olsher just reviewed the Fyne F1-8 in TAS and nailed the sonic signature.

Because of my disability, LTA ZOTLs are really the preferred tube option. I just can't lift 40-50lb monoblocks when they blow up (and in my experience, they all do). Caveat being that I have always wanted to try a pair of Jadis monoblocks even if their sound is maybe more euphonic than my taste. They also have great bass. If a pair of JA80mk2s pops up it will be very tempting.

But for now, going to bring in the Enleum 23r and see how that does.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Fyne F1-12 I think is currently my favorite contemporary dynamic driver speaker under about $100,000.

Reactions: sujay

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I made a comment about Keith's speakers.

Please let's not derail this thread by talking about other speakers not relevant to this thread.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Keiths have a horn incorporated in a bass / midrange crossed at 750 hz
A Point source driver / " fullrange driver " (a 2 way system incorporated in a single unit )
The bass mid works on a substantial volume i could hear that , giving it a full sound Screenshot 2021-11-08 091628.gif

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
The F1-8 stand mounts are an excellent option for a slightly smaller room , the F1-5’s make for an enguaging alternative to LS/35a / Harbeth P3esr XD or even 30.1’s

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
more on amps with the big Fynes - I am really enjoying the LTA stereo amp that has become my "base" amp. a few options i'm evaluating:

1. Gryphon Essence - as you may recall, I originally heard the Fynes on this amp at a Florida dealer
2. Lamm M1.2 - have never tried a pair of Lamms, although almost bought ML2.1s twice when I owned Zu. a bit concerned about heat and reliability on them
3. monoblock the LTA - truth be told i'd rather do a SS amp, but this option would allow me to flip a switch to stereo in the event one amp goes down

i've also been recommended the Boulder 1161, just not sure about that direction. it's more in the high power, lots of parts camp.

i'd be curious in forum opinions on these options.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I like all three of these options!

I think if you try the Essence and the M1.2s you will have tried a broad field and will arrive at a definitive answer.

And adding the second LTA amp for mono and back-up stereo makes sense no matter what.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
more on amps with the big Fynes - I am really enjoying the LTA stereo amp that has become my "base" amp. a few options i'm evaluating:

1. Gryphon Essence - as you may recall, I originally heard the Fynes on this amp at a Florida dealer
2. Lamm M1.2 - have never tried a pair of Lamms, although almost bought ML2.1s twice when I owned Zu. a bit concerned about heat and reliability on them
3. monoblock the LTA - truth be told i'd rather do a SS amp, but this option would allow me to flip a switch to stereo in the event one amp goes down

i've also been recommended the Boulder 1161, just not sure about that direction. it's more in the high power, lots of parts camp.

Maybe Jeff can loan you his LAMM ML 1.1 to see what a PP triode amp can do from LAMM.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

That sounds like a good plan Keith. I briefly tried a dealer demo Lamm M1.1 in my system. They were fantastic.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Brad,

The LTA stuff is really very impressive (and at a very reasonable price point).

Once I heard what the LTA amp did on vocals I immediately cast my vote for it over the darTZeel.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad,

The LTA stuff is really very impressive (and at a very reasonable price point).

Once I heard what the LTA amp did on vocals I immediately cast my vote for it over the darTZeel.
Sure, I don’t care for darTZeel anyway but a 90 watt PP triode amp with Lamms reputation should surely interest someone with 96db speakers...especially if purchase isn’t required to try it...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm not interested in other tube amps.
I did suggest you borrow them not buy...if it’s not a lot of effort and Jeff is willing then what is there to lose? Maybe the LTA is better but so what?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I did suggest you borrow them not buy...if it’s not a lot of effort and Jeff is willing then what is there to lose? Maybe the LTA is better but so what?
They would sound absolutely fantastic on Keith's Fynes but I've sold them. I had the M2.2 before the Ml1.1's, they also sound excellent. The M1.2 supposedly sounds better.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing